John LaBella

I came across some newer memory chips for my 600E (now more or less
relagated to my "travel" laptop). Somehow the screw fastening the memory
cover had been cross threaded and me trying more strength that
intelligence buggered up the head. Any recomendations as to where I
could get a screw remover for that particular screw (and what would be
the correct replacement for it)

Thanks

BarneyTrouble

Duct tape

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:54:24 +0000, Steve H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:09:13 GMT, John LaBella <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I came across some newer memory chips for my 600E (now more or less
>>relagated to my "travel" laptop). Somehow the screw fastening the memory
>>cover had been cross threaded and me trying more strength that
>>intelligence buggered up the head. Any recomendations as to where I
>>could get a screw remover for that particular screw (and what would be
>>the correct replacement for it)
>>

>Drill the head off, fit the memory, test the machine, then glue the
>cover back in place. By the time you get around to upgrading the
>memory again the laptop won't be time and effort.
>Watch out for swarf ( metal particles ) from the drilling - ensure
>they don't find their way into the machine.
>
>Regards,

Steve H

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: anyoldname(*AT*)gmx(*dot*)co(*dot*)uk

Steve H

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:33:36 -0500, BarneyTrouble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Duct tape

Laptop gets hot, glue on tape softens, gets all over keks.

Regards,

>On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:54:24 +0000, Steve H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 14:09:13 GMT, John LaBella <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I came across some newer memory chips for my 600E (now more or less
>>>relagated to my "travel" laptop). Somehow the screw fastening the memory
>>>cover had been cross threaded and me trying more strength that
>>>intelligence buggered up the head. Any recomendations as to where I
>>>could get a screw remover for that particular screw (and what would be
>>>the correct replacement for it)
>>>

>>Drill the head off, fit the memory, test the machine, then glue the
>>cover back in place. By the time you get around to upgrading the
>>memory again the laptop won't be time and effort.
>>Watch out for swarf ( metal particles ) from the drilling - ensure
>>they don't find their way into the machine.

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: anyoldname(*AT*)gmx(*dot*)co(*dot*)uk

Angelo Campanella

John LaBella wrote:
> I came across some newer memory chips for my 600E (now more or less
> relagated to my "travel" laptop). Somehow the screw fastening the memory
> cover had been cross threaded and me trying more strength that
> intelligence buggered up the head. Any recomendations as to where I
> could get a screw remover for that particular screw (and what would be
> the correct replacement for it)

That's a conventional allen head screw. I've has trouble with many on
aircraft cover plates, etc. The last dich effort is th find an allen
head screwdriver that fits, usually one that is a little bit bigger that
you think is necessary. A brand new screwdriver is best since the teeth
adges are sharp (and not worn round in use or dis-use).

When you set it in the hole, press lightly into the screw head and find
a rotation angle that feels like it has dropped into place. It may be
faint, but some may still be there. Then at that position press firmy
into the head, with about as much pressure as the labtop structure might
allow, and s-l-o-w-l-y turn the screw out.

If that fails then find a Dremel tool that has a very thin cutting
disc, about 1mm thick. Use that to grind a fresh conventional
screwdriver sloy into the head, being careful to not send crumbs or
metal shavings into the laptop. When this slot is about 1mm deep, quit
grinding and try a conntional flat-blade screwdriver on it.

Angelo Campanella.

Angelo Campanella

Lord Kalvan wrote:

> I agree Angelo, but if you have cut the slot and then can still not get
> it to come out you will need to carefully drill out the screw / insert

etc.

First, I have to aplogize that I shaould have named the screw type as a
Phillips Head Screw ((X-shaped head slot). All else sttands.

Angelo Campanella