Dumping Vista for XP

Superunknown

I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
anymore. It sends you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 that
explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
softwares don't work either.
I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
doing this?
Thank you much for your time

Galina

HH

BEFORE downgrading your OS, check the Acer website and be sure they have XP
drivers for all of the hardware on the notebook.
Do not assume the Vista drivers will work under XP. Many will not.

HH

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

the_verminator@comcast.net

On Jan 23, 1:05*pm, Superunknown <?@?> wrote:
> I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
> the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
> anymore. It sends you tohttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607that
> explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
> softwares don't work either.
> I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
> buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
> doing this?
> Thank you much for your time
>
> Galina

You might want to read this before doing anything.. yes, it is long
but deals specifically with the 5315.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...08#post8485508

Ralph2

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:05:21 -0500, Superunknown <?@?> wrote:

>I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
>the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
>anymore. It sends you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 that
>explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
>softwares don't work either.
>I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
>buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
>doing this?
>Thank you much for your time
>
>Galina

I have an Aspire 5630 and was similarly impressed with Vista. My
solution... go dual boot.
I did a restore of the operating system as it was supplied from the
factory.. Then installed XP on a second partition,,, but not without
help from http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp With Vista
installed first you must jump through a lot of hoops but it is
possible and works really well
Do not expect any help from Acer. They do have a lot of drivers etc
available for download... The "only" driver issue that I have not been
able to resolve is my camera. When I try to use it I get an error
message to the effect that it needs to be plugged in. but I can make
it work from selecting it in an Explorer folder tree.. Again I got NO
support from Acer on this. Their stock answer is we will support the
configuration that we sold.. period!
Good luck
Ralph

occam

Good advice, except the first sentence should read "BEFORE /upgrading/
your OS....". XP SP2 (and the fortcoming SP3) are definite UPGRADES to
Vista.

--Never Acer Again --

HH wrote:
> BEFORE downgrading your OS, check the Acer website and be sure they have XP
> drivers for all of the hardware on the notebook.
> Do not assume the Vista drivers will work under XP. Many will not.
>
> HH
>

> "Superunknown" <?@?> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
>> the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
>> anymore. It sends you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 that
>> explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
>> softwares don't work either.
>> I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
>> buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
>> doing this?
>> Thank you much for your time
>>
>> Galina

HH

Manufacturers consider it "downgrading," thus do not support it. If you dump
Vista for XP, you lose Acer software support completely. Don't call them
with XP issues on a unit that shipped with Vista.

HH

"occam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Good advice, except the first sentence should read "BEFORE /upgrading/
> your OS....". XP SP2 (and the fortcoming SP3) are definite UPGRADES to
> Vista.
>
> --Never Acer Again --
>
> HH wrote:
>> BEFORE downgrading your OS, check the Acer website and be sure they have
>> XP drivers for all of the hardware on the notebook.
>> Do not assume the Vista drivers will work under XP. Many will not.
>>
>> HH
>>

>> "Superunknown" <?@?> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
>>> the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
>>> anymore. It sends you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 that
>>> explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
>>> softwares don't work either.
>>> I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
>>> buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
>>> doing this?
>>> Thank you much for your time
>>>
>>> Galina

Superunknown

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:20:08 -0500, "HH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:59:27 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:55:18 GMT, Ralph2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Thank you thank you thank you! :-)
Good-by to Vista crap.

Galina

doS

there are several diff camera drivers...download the zip and extract to
desktop, uninstall camera in device manager and reboot.then broswe to folder
to install the drivers...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...