DVD writer on Ultra 10 (ide)

Adrian Hume

HI, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced dvd writer and burning software
that would be compatible with my Sun Ultra 10 (333 MHZ, 256 RAM)?
Ideally thats available in the UK?
many thanx
--
Adrian C. Hume
IT Consultant

Tel: 01983 864 964
Mobile: 07973 709 517

DoN. Nichols

In article <4227c234@212.67.96.135>, Adrian Hume <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>HI, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced dvd writer and burning software
>that would be compatible with my Sun Ultra 10 (333 MHZ, 256 RAM)?
>Ideally thats available in the UK?
>many thanx

I can't speak to running directly on IDE (as my Ultra-2 does not
have it), but I have recently (thanks to a friend) discovered a way to
use IDE DVD writers on Solaris.

The magic is a little card which plugs into the back of an IDE
DVD burner and converts it to 68-pin SCSI single-ended or differential,
and narrow or wide -- with one minor caveat:

You can't connect it to a wide SCSI controller with a narrow
cable, because each end recognizes the other as wide and thus attempts
to negotiate the wide transfers -- which obviously don't work through a
narrow cable.

This excludes mounting the drive *inside* the Ultra-2, as the
SCSI for the drive is presented as narrow, but it is fed from a wide
controller. You can put the drive in a 68-pin housing externally, and
connect it to the built-in SCSI -- or you can (as I have) connect the
drive to a narrow SCSI Sbus card.

The magic card is: The AEC-7722 ACARD's LVD SCSI-IDE bridge

And the place where I got it is:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-107&depa=0

Feel free to find other sources -- this was the one recommended by my
friend.

The drive which I got, since the one which he had was no longer
on sale by that vendor, was one which identifies itself as:

NEC ' 'DVD_RW ND-3520A ' '1.04'

to a run of "cdrecord -scanbus". This drive will probably work just as
well for your IDE connectrion, though I can't test it. But the software
information below should work for your direct IDE drive just as well.

Now -- as to the software. You'll need two packages (though one
of them may already be in Solaris 9 -- but not in Solaris 8, which is
what is on the system I'm currently using the drive with. You'll either
need the "cdrecord" (which includes "mkisofs"), or perhaps what ships
with Solaris 9 will work, though I have found it to be a less powerful
"mkisofs". This will suffice for burning CD-ROMs of various flavors,
but will not work for full-sized DVDs. (He wants to sell his
professional version for that.) To get this package, go to:

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily/kernel

and look for cdrtools-2.01.tar.bz2 (You'll also need to pick up "smake"
at the same time to be able to compile this package without fighting it.

Or -- you can use "cdrw" which comes with Solaris 9. Maybe the
supplied "mkisofs" is good enough.

However, for DVDs only, there is another package available,
which uses the "mkisofs" from the "cdrecord" package to create the
filesystem, and which will happily burn DVDs. The primary program with
this is called "growisofs", and it will call "mkisofs" at need.

That package is called: dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8.tar.gz

Go to:

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/

to download the source for it.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Paul Gress

DoN. Nichols wrote:

> The magic is a little card which plugs into the back of an IDE
> DVD burner and converts it to 68-pin SCSI single-ended or differential,
> and narrow or wide -- with one minor caveat:
>
> You can't connect it to a wide SCSI controller with a narrow
> cable, because each end recognizes the other as wide and thus attempts
> to negotiate the wide transfers -- which obviously don't work through a
> narrow cable.
>
> This excludes mounting the drive *inside* the Ultra-2, as the
> SCSI for the drive is presented as narrow, but it is fed from a wide
> controller. You can put the drive in a 68-pin housing externally, and
> connect it to the built-in SCSI -- or you can (as I have) connect the
> drive to a narrow SCSI Sbus card.
>
> The magic card is: The AEC-7722 ACARD's LVD SCSI-IDE bridge

I had the same problem, solved it with the card below. It all fits in
my Ultra-2 no problem. This card is IDE/ATAPI to SCSI (50 pin)
converter/bridge.

http://www.acard.com/eng/product/scside/aec-7720u.html

Paul

DoN. Nichols

In article <kWxWd.7858$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Gress <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>DoN. Nichols wrote:
>>
>> The magic is a little card which plugs into the back of an IDE
>> DVD burner and converts it to 68-pin SCSI single-ended or differential,
>> and narrow or wide -- with one minor caveat:
>>
>> You can't connect it to a wide SCSI controller with a narrow
>> cable,

[ ... ]

>> This excludes mounting the drive *inside* the Ultra-2, as the

[ ... ]

>> The magic card is: The AEC-7722 ACARD's LVD SCSI-IDE bridge

[ ... ]

>I had the same problem, solved it with the card below. It all fits in
>my Ultra-2 no problem. This card is IDE/ATAPI to SCSI (50 pin)
>converter/bridge.
>
>http://www.acard.com/eng/product/scside/aec-7720u.html

Thanks! I had not found that one. I'll pick one up for the
next system.

Again -- thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Adrian Hume

Many thanks 'all' for that. I've got a NEC DVD RW to try, so shall get
downloading and have a go.