ECS K8T890-A and AGP video

WaterWatcher

Hi all. The local Fry's has this motherboard and a bare Athlon 64 3500+ for
$199. Seems like a good deal, but after some research I see that the AGP-e
slot is only good for certain video cards. I have an MSI 6600GT AGP card
that is not on the supported list. I suppose it would be folly to try it,
but has anyone else tried this mobo with an unsupported video card, and if
so, what were the results?

Thanks,
Ray

tcsenter

The "AGP Express" slot on this model is actually an AGP connector
attached to the PCI bus, so the performance is limited to exactly what
a PCI graphics card would yield. ECS doesn't do a good enough job of
disclosing this.

Swingman

"tcsenter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The "AGP Express" slot on this model is actually an AGP connector
> attached to the PCI bus, so the performance is limited to exactly what
> a PCI graphics card would yield. ECS doesn't do a good enough job of
> disclosing this.

Can you post a link to some additional documentation/explanation of this?

tcsenter

>>Can you post a link to some additional documentation/explanation of this?<<

Sure, here you go. VIA's product page for K8T890 Northbridge:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch...series/k8t890/

Notice there is no AGP bus supported on K8T890. Thus the only way to
get AGP on this board is either to use an AGP to PCIe bridge logic
(which the board does not have), or to custom wire an AGP connector to
the PCI Bus. AGP is heavily derived from 32-bit parallel PCI Bus
architecture and can be operated in PCI mode (but you lose all the AGP
performance features).

The same AGP Express design is also used on ECS boards based on Intel
915. A discussion of this design can be found at:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2074

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=883&page=2

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...0&id=1406&pg=2

VIA has the PT880 Pro and PT880 Ultra for Intel processors, both of
which support true AGP and PCIe graphics bus, but nothing for AMD64.
The only AMD64 chipset with support for true AGP and PCIe graphics is
ULi (ALi) M1695 NB + M1567 SB (e.g. Asrock 939Dual-SATA2).

Regards,

Swingman

"tcsenter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>Can you post a link to some additional documentation/explanation of
>>>this?<<

> Sure, here you go. VIA's product page for K8T890 Northbridge:
>
> http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch...series/k8t890/
>
> Notice there is no AGP bus supported on K8T890. Thus the only way to
> get AGP on this board is either to use an AGP to PCIe bridge logic
> (which the board does not have), or to custom wire an AGP connector to
> the PCI Bus. AGP is heavily derived from 32-bit parallel PCI Bus
> architecture and can be operated in PCI mode (but you lose all the AGP
> performance features).
>
> The same AGP Express design is also used on ECS boards based on Intel
> 915. A discussion of this design can be found at:
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2074
>
> http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=883&page=2
>
> http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...0&id=1406&pg=2
>
> VIA has the PT880 Pro and PT880 Ultra for Intel processors, both of
> which support true AGP and PCIe graphics bus, but nothing for AMD64.
> The only AMD64 chipset with support for true AGP and PCIe graphics is
> ULi (ALi) M1695 NB + M1567 SB (e.g. Asrock 939Dual-SATA2).

Thanks for the details. I was considering the ECS board and would have been
pretty ticked if I hadn't understood this AGP issue beforehand.

tcsenter

I would be, too. If you want AGP and PCI-E, check out the Asrock
939Dual-SATA2.

http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm

ruggerwubbs

Pretty sure using an incompatible graphics card will just keep th
board from booting. I don't think you'll actually damage anything.
(I hope!) lol

I think this is the problem I'm having right now. I tried to throw a
ati 9600xt 256 card in the agp express slot, and though the powe
comes on (all the case fans, optical drive, lights etc), the machin
doesn't post to bios. I've swapped out the ram, and tried th
graphics card itself in another normal agp machine, and all is well.
It's a brand new processor and motherboard so..

seems very likely the graphics card is the culprit. I'm gonna pick u
a pci express card on my way home from class today. hopefully that'l
fix the problem. (Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please.....
:retard

tcsenter

>I think this is the problem I'm having right now. I tried to throw an
>ati 9600xt 256 card in the agp express slot, and though the power
>comes on (all the case fans, optical drive, lights etc), the machine
>doesn't post to bios.

Due to the AGP Express slot design, this board can only support older
AGP cards compatible with 3.3V. Radeon 9600 is 1.5V and cannot work,
but older GPUs such as Radeon 9500 will work because it is compatible
with 3.3V. This is another limitation ECS does not make clear in its
product information.

Notice in the AGP Express Support Chart it is mostly older GPUs:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Support...uID=95&LanID=9

Slim

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:36:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)lid (ruggerwubbs) wrote:

>Pretty sure using an incompatible graphics card will just keep the
>board from booting. I don't think you'll actually damage anything.
>(I hope!) lol.
>
>I think this is the problem I'm having right now. I tried to throw an
>ati 9600xt 256 card in the agp express slot, and though the power
>comes on (all the case fans, optical drive, lights etc), the machine
>doesn't post to bios. I've swapped out the ram, and tried the
>graphics card itself in another normal agp machine, and all is well.
>It's a brand new processor and motherboard so...
>
>seems very likely the graphics card is the culprit. I'm gonna pick up
>a pci express card on my way home from class today. hopefully that'll
>fix the problem. (Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please.....)
>:retard:

Or if you want to use your AGP card, then buy as ASROCK
939Dual

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...ual/index.html

JimL

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 06:46:18 GMT, Slim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:36:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)lid (ruggerwubbs) wrote:
>
>>Pretty sure using an incompatible graphics card will just keep the
>>board from booting. I don't think you'll actually damage anything.
>>(I hope!) lol.
>>
>>I think this is the problem I'm having right now. I tried to throw an
>>ati 9600xt 256 card in the agp express slot, and though the power
>>comes on (all the case fans, optical drive, lights etc), the machine
>>doesn't post to bios. I've swapped out the ram, and tried the
>>graphics card itself in another normal agp machine, and all is well.
>>It's a brand new processor and motherboard so...
>>
>>seems very likely the graphics card is the culprit. I'm gonna pick up
>>a pci express card on my way home from class today. hopefully that'll
>>fix the problem. (Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please.....)
>>:retard:

>Or if you want to use your AGP card, then buy as ASROCK
>939Dual
>
>http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...ual/index.html

That article show you take a significant performance hit, although
the price is somewhat lower.