ECS RS482-M754 Motherboard no audio out back audio connectors

ijourneaux

I am finally getting around to putting my system together. Everything
seemed to be going great until I tried to hook up the speakers.

With everything else working correctly I don't get any audio out the
back audio connectors. The sound drivers are correctly installed
(perhaps I should try reinstalling them).

I do get audio out the front jacks that are hooked up to the
motherboard header so it would appear that the drivers are installed
correctly. I just don't get anything out the jacks on the rear of the
computer.

Kyle

I believe if you install the front panel audio cable connector to the
mobo, it will disable the rear connections, google for "Intel front
panel audio" to find more info.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"ijourneaux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
| I am finally getting around to putting my system together.
Everything
| seemed to be going great until I tried to hook up the speakers.
|
| With everything else working correctly I don't get any audio out the
| back audio connectors. The sound drivers are correctly installed
| (perhaps I should try reinstalling them).
|
| I do get audio out the front jacks that are hooked up to the
| motherboard header so it would appear that the drivers are installed
| correctly. I just don't get anything out the jacks on the rear of
the
| computer.

Paul

ijourneaux wrote:
> I am finally getting around to putting my system together. Everything
> seemed to be going great until I tried to hook up the speakers.
>
> With everything else working correctly I don't get any audio out the
> back audio connectors. The sound drivers are correctly installed
> (perhaps I should try reinstalling them).
>
> I do get audio out the front jacks that are hooked up to the
> motherboard header so it would appear that the drivers are installed
> correctly. I just don't get anything out the jacks on the rear of the
> computer.

PDF Page 20 has the pinout. This document was written by Intel.
http://web.archive.org/web/200402071..._guideline.pdf

AUD_MIC X X AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS X X AUD_VCC
AUD_FPOUT_R X X AUD_RET_R
HP_ON X
AUD_FPOUT_L X X AUD_RET_L

The following are the important signals, the other two can be ignored,
as they serve no practical purpose. That leaves this as the header
diagram, when a user wants to wire up the audio. The other two pins
do not need any connections.

AUD_MIC X X AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS X X
AUD_FPOUT_R X X AUD_RET_R
AUD_FPOUT_L X X AUD_RET_L

When you receive the motherboard from the factory, there are two
jumpers in place. They go here. They complete the electrical
path from the AC97 chip, to the rear green Lineout connector on
the back of the computer. The signal goes from left to right.

AUD_MIC X X AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS X X
AUD_FPOUT_R X<->X AUD_RET_R
AUD_FPOUT_L X<->X AUD_RET_L

When you install computer case wiring, you remove the two
jumpers and install the wires.

A cheap computer case will only have five wires. They
would go here. Since the computer case does not have
any return audio wires, there will be no sound on the Lineout
connector on the back of the computer.

AUD_MIC X X AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS X X
AUD_FPOUT_R X X (return wires are missing!)
AUD_FPOUT_L X X (return wires are missing!)

The second kind of wiring, has duplicate wires for the left
and right signals. You might install them like this. And
what this means, is the same electrical signal is present on
both sides of the header. This kind of wiring causes both
the front headphones and the rear speakers to be on at
the same time, all the time. This is better than the first
wiring, but not perfect - some people like their wiring
this way, as they like to use speakers and headphones at
the same time.

AUD_MIC X X AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS X X
AUD_FPOUT_R X X AUD_FPOUT_R
AUD_FPOUT_L X X AUD_FPOUT_L

The third kind of computer case audio, has an interrupting
audio jack for the headphones. When headphones are plugged in,
the contacts open, muting the sound from the rear speakers.
When the headphones are removed, the AUD_FPOUT_R is connected
to AUD_RET_R, and AUD_FPOUT_L is connected to AUD_RET_L. In
other words, when the headphones are removed, it is like there
are jumpers in place, to complete the signal path to the
rear green Lineout jack. This third kind of computer case
audio wiring fully supports the Intel audio standard, and
would be wired like this. It consists of seven wires, each
with a unique name.

AUD_MIC X X AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS X X
AUD_FPOUT_R X X AUD_RET_R
AUD_FPOUT_L X X AUD_RET_L

Based on your problem description, your computer case might
only have five wires, and the return wires are missing.

HTH,
Paul

ijourneaux

Paul/ Kyle

Thanks for the help and detailed reply. I will check that out when I
get back home. I believe I have the cheap case wiring with 5 wires. If
that is the case, it would explain the lack of audio out the back,

I hope this is the case as I only need the audio out the back. I was
only trying to connectio the front audio to be complete.

Take Care