EFI system partition problem.....

agodin10@hotmail.com

hi....im using windows 7 ultimate on ibm x61....i want to clone my
80gb hd to 160gb hd......problem is when i look at my hd in disk
management i see my C partition with the os and files on... next there
is a 32mb EFI partition......when i clone the C partition to my 160gb
hd i get the 74.50 gb NTFS C partition and the EFI
partition.......then when i go into disk management i cant expand the
C partition volume because the EFI partition is blocking it....how do
i move or delete this EFI partition...i tried in diskpart but cant see
the EFI partition.......thanks for any help.....

Tazz

> hi....im using windows 7 ultimate on ibm x61....i want to clone my
> 80gb hd to 160gb hd......problem is when i look at my hd in disk
> management i see my C partition with the os and files on... next there
> is a 32mb EFI partition......when i clone the C partition to my 160gb
> hd i get the 74.50 gb NTFS C partition and the EFI
> partition.......then when i go into disk management i cant expand the
> C partition volume because the EFI partition is blocking it....how do
> i move or delete this EFI partition...i tried in diskpart but cant see
> the EFI partition.......thanks for any help.....

What program are you using to clone the disk and who manufactures the
new drive?

Some manufacturers have their "own" free hdd clone program. WD and
Seagate come to mind. They are both based on Acronis. I *think* they
work this way: The free Seagate program will create an image of whatever
partition on whatever brand drive (it shows all my partitions on all
four of my various drives) but it will ONLY write the image to a Seagate
hdd. The same for WD I guess. Check with website of the manufacturer of
your new drive to see what they offer.

agodin10@hotmail.com

On Jul 28, 5:10*pm, Tazz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 28/07/2011 6:44 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > hi....im using windows 7 ultimate on ibm x61....i want to clone my
> > 80gb hd to 160gb hd......problem is when i look at my hd in disk
> > management i see my C partition with the os and files on... next there
> > is a 32mb EFI partition......when i clone the C partition to my 160gb
> > hd i get the 74.50 gb NTFS C partition and the EFI
> > partition.......then when i go into disk management i cant expand the
> > C partition volume because the EFI partition is blocking it....how do
> > i move or delete this EFI partition...i tried in diskpart but cant see
> > the EFI partition.......thanks for any help.....

> What program are you using to clone the disk and who manufactures the
> new drive?
>
> Some manufacturers have their "own" free hdd clone program. WD and
> Seagate come to mind. They are both based on Acronis. I *think* they
> work this way: The free Seagate program will create an image of whatever
> partition on whatever brand drive (it shows all my partitions on all
> four of my various drives) but it will ONLY write the image to a Seagate
> hdd. The same for WD I guess. Check with website of the manufacturer of
> your new drive to see what they offer.

hi...thanks for relpy....i dont have any problem cloning the drive but
when i install the larger hd i cant expand the volume of the C
partition because the EFI partition is still there,,,,, so on my
larger hd i get the original C partition then the EFI 32 MB partition
then the extra free space on the larger hd.......i cant expand the C
partition into the free space because the EFI partition is in the
middle...the EFI partion has no drive letter so i cant move it or
delete it.....thanks

BillW50

> On Jul 28, 5:10 pm, Tazz<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 28/07/2011 6:44 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> hi....im using windows 7 ultimate on ibm x61....i want to clone my
>>> 80gb hd to 160gb hd......problem is when i look at my hd in disk
>>> management i see my C partition with the os and files on... next there
>>> is a 32mb EFI partition......when i clone the C partition to my 160gb
>>> hd i get the 74.50 gb NTFS C partition and the EFI
>>> partition.......then when i go into disk management i cant expand the
>>> C partition volume because the EFI partition is blocking it....how do
>>> i move or delete this EFI partition...i tried in diskpart but cant see
>>> the EFI partition.......thanks for any help.....

>> What program are you using to clone the disk and who manufactures the
>> new drive?
>>
>> Some manufacturers have their "own" free hdd clone program. WD and
>> Seagate come to mind. They are both based on Acronis. I *think* they
>> work this way: The free Seagate program will create an image of whatever
>> partition on whatever brand drive (it shows all my partitions on all
>> four of my various drives) but it will ONLY write the image to a Seagate
>> hdd. The same for WD I guess. Check with website of the manufacturer of
>> your new drive to see what they offer.

> hi...thanks for relpy....i dont have any problem cloning the drive but
> when i install the larger hd i cant expand the volume of the C
> partition because the EFI partition is still there,,,,, so on my
> larger hd i get the original C partition then the EFI 32 MB partition
> then the extra free space on the larger hd.......i cant expand the C
> partition into the free space because the EFI partition is in the
> middle...the EFI partion has no drive letter so i cant move it or
> delete it.....thanks

Well trying to delete this partition under Windows 7 will probably be
next to impossible. Booting from the Windows 7 DVD should have utilities
that should be able to handle it I believe.

If not, there are other CD boot utilities like Paragon Partition Manager
(there is a free version too) and EaseUS Partition Master (also free).
Or use your favorite partitioning boot CD to do the job. Don't even try
to delete it under Windows.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0

BillW50

On 7/28/2011 7:10 PM, Tazz wrote:
> On 28/07/2011 6:44 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> hi....im using windows 7 ultimate on ibm x61....i want to clone my
>> 80gb hd to 160gb hd......problem is when i look at my hd in disk
>> management i see my C partition with the os and files on... next there
>> is a 32mb EFI partition......when i clone the C partition to my 160gb
>> hd i get the 74.50 gb NTFS C partition and the EFI
>> partition.......then when i go into disk management i cant expand the
>> C partition volume because the EFI partition is blocking it....how do
>> i move or delete this EFI partition...i tried in diskpart but cant see
>> the EFI partition.......thanks for any help.....

> What program are you using to clone the disk and who manufactures the
> new drive?
>
> Some manufacturers have their "own" free hdd clone program. WD and
> Seagate come to mind. They are both based on Acronis. I *think* they
> work this way: The free Seagate program will create an image of whatever
> partition on whatever brand drive (it shows all my partitions on all
> four of my various drives) but it will ONLY write the image to a Seagate
> hdd. The same for WD I guess. Check with website of the manufacturer of
> your new drive to see what they offer.

Acronis True Image (has a 15 day trial version available)
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Acronis True Image Seagate Edition (DiscWizard)
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...ads/discwizard

Acronis True Image WD Edition
http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...ad&wdc_lang=en

Paragon DriveBackup Express (free)
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

XXClone, A New Way of Cloning the Windows System Disk (free)
http://www.xxclone.com/

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Bert Hyman

In news:j0v55c$5je$(E-Mail Removed) BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Acronis True Image (has a 15 day trial version available)
> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Last time I looked, the trial version was fully functional, so if you
move fast ...

Still, I paid for it and use it for my nightly backups :-)

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

BillW50

On 7/29/2011 3:35 PM, Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:j0v55c$5je$(E-Mail Removed) BillW50<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Acronis True Image (has a 15 day trial version available)
>> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

> Last time I looked, the trial version was fully functional, so if you
> move fast ...
>
> Still, I paid for it and use it for my nightly backups :-)

I bought Acronis True Image 2009 and 2011 and I hate both of them. And
not too much difference between the two versions actually. Acronis True
Image for many years has had problems with some USB controllers. Oh they
backup to any of them just fine. Just when restoring they can't find
some of the drives. Some others, some days they can see them and
sometimes they can't. Not good at all.

I also use Paragon products and they are about the same as Acronis True
Image. Although no USB controller problem. Paragon full backups are
fine, but incremental backups takes forever (much longer than a full
backup actually). Acronis True Image is far better for incremental.
Otherwise not much of a difference.

Nowadays I only use Acronis True Image just for cloning. And Acronis
True Image can't clone live (under Windows). Although Paragon and
XXClone can and does. Nowadays I don't make backups, but I clone instead
and use the clone drives. I have about 5 drives that I rotate.

I didn't think XXClone was going to be too good, but I was surprised how
well it works and it is only 1.6MB in size. The commercial version will
also do incremental cloning which is like unheard of. And unlike Acronis
True Image and Paragon, has nothing running in the background when the
application isn't running.

--

In news:j0vbs9$hl2$(E-Mail Removed) BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nowadays I only use Acronis True Image just for cloning. And Acronis
> True Image can't clone live (under Windows).

The idea of trying to clone an active drive is just too creepy to
contemplate.

--

On 7/29/2011 6:20 PM, Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:j0vbs9$hl2$(E-Mail Removed) BillW50<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Nowadays I only use Acronis True Image just for cloning. And Acronis
>> True Image can't clone live (under Windows).

> The idea of trying to clone an active drive is just too creepy to
> contemplate.

Yes, that is why run off of the clone drive to make sure everything is
just fine. If something is wrong, I always have the original. And
checking the XXClone log this last time, like 34 files failed to copy.
And they were all active (open) temps and log files. Which is no big
deal for a cloned copy. I am really impressed by both Paragon and
XXClone ability to clone an active drive. When I am not cloning an
active drive, I am still use Acronis True Image to clone.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

the wharf rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>when i install the larger hd i cant expand the volume of the C
>partition because the EFI partition is still there,,,,, so on my

Sigh.

Create a small partition equal in size to the EFI partition
in the free space starting at ( (last block) - (number of blocks in EFI) ).
Clone the EFI partition to this new partition. Delete old EFI. Add
free space to C:.

"And on the 8th day, God created the system administrator,
told him to go forth and make sure the internet stayed up, then flew off
to an executive summit on Maui."

EFI system partition problem..... agodin10@hotmail.com Laptops 2 07-30-2011 07:58 AM
EFI, SMI - what are the abbreviations? eleganger Sun Hardware 3 12-13-2007 11:20 PM
EFI Recovery Options Frank Haber Intel 1 10-01-2007 11:19 PM
EFI Ziza Intel 6 06-29-2006 01:25 AM
EFI vs. Open Firmware David Magda Intel 2 06-12-2005 03:16 PM