eMac restore CDs (Panther 10.3.3) work on an iBook?

/usr/ceo

Actually have been sort of "out of it" on the Macintosh front since
MacOS 9, so I'm looking for a little help here.

A couple of years ago I bought my wife a Mac iBook 500mhz. The one
that came right after the clam shells. I upgraded to MacOS X 10.2.8
shortly thereafter, but have been there since. I decided I wanted to
go to at least Panther, so I order Panther from a vendor on eBay and
was sent 10.3.3 eMac restoration CDs 1 and 2. While I feel the vendor
wasn't completely forthcoming in his auction, I know it doesn't
necessarily mean these CDs aren't going to work and get me to Panther;
this kind of thing is common on eBay (though I don't agree with it --
my own auctions are impeccably detailed with nothing obscure.) Anyway,
can someone tell me if these CDs are going to work?

To summarize, I have:

(1) An Apple iBook 500mhz, original iBook that came out right after the
clam shells.
(2) eMac 10.3.3 restoration CDs 1 and 2.

Is #2 going to work with #1 and I end up with Panther on #1 when I am
done?

Thanks!
/usr/ceo

Chu-En Ginsberg

/usr/ceo wrote:
> Actually have been sort of "out of it" on the Macintosh front since
> MacOS 9, so I'm looking for a little help here.
>
> A couple of years ago I bought my wife a Mac iBook 500mhz. The one
> that came right after the clam shells. I upgraded to MacOS X 10.2.8
> shortly thereafter, but have been there since. I decided I wanted to
> go to at least Panther, so I order Panther from a vendor on eBay and
> was sent 10.3.3 eMac restoration CDs 1 and 2. While I feel the vendor
> wasn't completely forthcoming in his auction, I know it doesn't
> necessarily mean these CDs aren't going to work and get me to Panther;
> this kind of thing is common on eBay (though I don't agree with it --
> my own auctions are impeccably detailed with nothing obscure.) Anyway,
> can someone tell me if these CDs are going to work?
>
> To summarize, I have:
>
> (1) An Apple iBook 500mhz, original iBook that came out right after the
> clam shells.
> (2) eMac 10.3.3 restoration CDs 1 and 2.
>
> Is #2 going to work with #1 and I end up with Panther on #1 when I am
> done?

No it won't work. The restoration disks will only work on the machine
for for which they were designed. You need a set of proper Panther
installer disks, i.e., the retail version.

Chu

--
chuenginsberg at mac dot com

Sandstone

/usr/ceo wrote:

> Actually have been sort of "out of it" on the Macintosh front since
> MacOS 9, so I'm looking for a little help here.
>
> A couple of years ago I bought my wife a Mac iBook 500mhz. The one
> that came right after the clam shells. I upgraded to MacOS X 10.2.8
> shortly thereafter, but have been there since. I decided I wanted to
> go to at least Panther, so I order Panther from a vendor on eBay and
> was sent 10.3.3 eMac restoration CDs 1 and 2. While I feel the vendor
> wasn't completely forthcoming in his auction, I know it doesn't
> necessarily mean these CDs aren't going to work and get me to Panther;
> this kind of thing is common on eBay (though I don't agree with it --
> my own auctions are impeccably detailed with nothing obscure.) Anyway,
> can someone tell me if these CDs are going to work?
>
> To summarize, I have:
>
> (1) An Apple iBook 500mhz, original iBook that came out right after the
> clam shells.
> (2) eMac 10.3.3 restoration CDs 1 and 2.
>
> Is #2 going to work with #1 and I end up with Panther on #1 when I am
> done?
>
> Thanks!
> /usr/ceo

I have a Digital Audio G4 with 9.2.2. When I upgraded to OS X, I bought
Panther 10.3.3 install CDs from OWC. These CDs had labels that said eMac
Mac OS X. The labels are grey with white printing - white apple at top of
label. Three CDs came labelled "Install Disc 1", "Install Disc 2" and
"Install Disc 3" (didn't actually use Disc 3). Each CD had the following
on the label

Mac OS Version 10.3.3
CD Version 1.0
2Z691-4926-A

These CDs did indeed install Panther 10.3.3 on my G4. Later, I downloaded
the 10.3.9 combo updater and updated to 10.3.9. No problems with any of
this. I wouldn't be surprised if the CDs you bought are the same as mine
and will work for you - despite the eMac label.

I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
this statement

"Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
installation provided by a retail box disc."

They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
label was a "not to worry".

Richard E Maine

Sandstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
> DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
> this statement
>
> "Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
> X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
> installation provided by a retail box disc."
>
> They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
> check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
> label was a "not to worry".

The question then is whether you believe them (and also whether they
even actually know it to be true for *ALL* cases - not just isolated
ones) themselves.

I have personally tried using the OS from a specific Apple model on
another one. Some things worked. Others didn't. It would have been easy
to stop at the things that worked and draw incorrect conclusions.
Checking a few instances is *NOT* at all the same thing as actually
knowing the universality for a fact. My exact models involved were no
doubt different that yours, but it was certainly enough to make me
doubtful about such claims "not to worry".

But perhaps the biggest point is...considering that such DVDs can be
obtained only with a machine and that selling them separately is a
violation of the license... does that suggest to you that people who
sell such things separately are 100% trustworthy in all matters?

org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain

/usr/ceo

Richard E Maine wrote:
> Sandstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
> > DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
> > this statement
> >
> > "Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
> > X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
> > installation provided by a retail box disc."
> >
> > They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
> > check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
> > label was a "not to worry".

> The question then is whether you believe them (and also whether they
> even actually know it to be true for *ALL* cases - not just isolated
> ones) themselves.
>
> I have personally tried using the OS from a specific Apple model on
> another one. Some things worked. Others didn't. It would have been easy
> to stop at the things that worked and draw incorrect conclusions.
> Checking a few instances is *NOT* at all the same thing as actually
> knowing the universality for a fact. My exact models involved were no
> doubt different that yours, but it was certainly enough to make me
> doubtful about such claims "not to worry".
>
> But perhaps the biggest point is...considering that such DVDs can be
> obtained only with a machine and that selling them separately is a
> violation of the license... does that suggest to you that people who
> sell such things separately are 100% trustworthy in all matters?

My sentiments exactly. When I sell on eBay, I provide this level of
detail so people can make informed decisions. My expectation is that I
would have received the retail version of Panther.

I called the vendor myself and they assured me all would be fine. But
this thread is beginning to speak otherwise, as I imagined that it
would. It's easy to see how these guys are simply removing the
software that comes with certain machines and reselling it. Which
definitely is not capiesh.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I'm likely stuck since the seller had a
7-day return policy. I think I'm going to give it a whirl. Out of 70+
transactions on eBay, this is the only one I have any disappointment
in, which isn't too bad, I guess. Still, getting burned once is
sometimes all it takes.

Thanks for all the feedback.

/usr/ceo

Ray Laughton

Sandstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
> DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
> this statement
>
> "Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
> X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
> installation provided by a retail box disc."
>
> They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
> check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
> label was a "not to worry".

I had the same experience using a Jaguar DVD (or was it CDs?) from a
Titanium PB on a G4 tower.. But no chance of coping the OS from one HD
to another since OS X.

RL

Sandstone

Richard E Maine wrote:

> Sandstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
> > DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
> > this statement
> >
> > "Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
> > X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
> > installation provided by a retail box disc."
> >
> > They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
> > check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
> > label was a "not to worry".

> The question then is whether you believe them (and also whether they
> even actually know it to be true for *ALL* cases - not just isolated
> ones) themselves.
>
> I have personally tried using the OS from a specific Apple model on
> another one. Some things worked. Others didn't. It would have been easy
> to stop at the things that worked and draw incorrect conclusions.
> Checking a few instances is *NOT* at all the same thing as actually
> knowing the universality for a fact. My exact models involved were no
> doubt different that yours, but it was certainly enough to make me
> doubtful about such claims "not to worry".
>
> But perhaps the biggest point is...considering that such DVDs can be
> obtained only with a machine and that selling them separately is a
> violation of the license... does that suggest to you that people who
> sell such things separately are 100% trustworthy in all matters?
>
> --
> Richard Maine | Good judgment comes from experience;
> email: my first.last at org.domain| experience comes from bad judgment.
> org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain

Richard, your logic is impeccable. My reply to the OP was simply an
anectdotal data point intended to give him some hope that what he bought might
actually work. FWIW the grey label CDs I bought included an Apple License
Agreement for a Single User License and they also installed iLife. Everything
worked for me but Caveat Emptor I guess.

Neill Massello

Richard E Maine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But perhaps the biggest point is...considering that such DVDs can be
> obtained only with a machine and that selling them separately is a
> violation of the license

AFAIK, the Apple software license has not contained any such restriction
for many years.