Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

The end of the desktop?

 
 
css
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Reuters http://xrl.us/bebvq6

The age of the desktop PC appears to be over as its more
portable cousin, the laptop, surges ahead with consumers
clamoring for light-weight computers in funky designs for
use at home, in cafes and on the train to work.

Not a single desktop model was on Amazon.com's top 10
selling PC and hardware list http://xrl.us/Top25Comp

It was yet another sign that the former dominance of
desktop PCs is fading as wireless advances and lower prices
make laptops the preferred option for millions of PC users
around the world.

"On both price and performance, laptops are so competitive
now it's surprising they weren't able to catch up with
desktops even earlier," said iSuppli analyst Peter Lin...

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
S.Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2009, 10:26 PM

"css" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) d.net...
> Reuters http://xrl.us/bebvq6
>
> The age of the desktop PC appears to be over as its more
> portable cousin, the laptop, surges ahead with consumers
> clamoring for light-weight computers in funky designs for
> use at home, in cafes and on the train to work.
>
> Not a single desktop model was on Amazon.com's top 10
> selling PC and hardware list http://xrl.us/Top25Comp
>
> It was yet another sign that the former dominance of
> desktop PCs is fading as wireless advances and lower prices
> make laptops the preferred option for millions of PC users
> around the world.
>
> "On both price and performance, laptops are so competitive
> now it's surprising they weren't able to catch up with
> desktops even earlier," said iSuppli analyst Peter Lin...
>



Yep. My guess is that in 5-10 years there'll be no "PC's (desktops or
laptops)" for me to repair anymore and it will be time for yet another
career change......

.....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins. g


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Adrian C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2009, 11:11 PM
S.Lewis wrote:
> ....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins. g
>


Writing is on the wall for all of those. Broadband wireless devices will
replace all and talk to the cloud.

--
Adrian C
 
Reply With Quote
 
S.Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2009, 11:29 PM

"Adrian C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> S.Lewis wrote:
>> ....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins. g

>
> Writing is on the wall for all of those. Broadband wireless devices will
> replace all and talk to the cloud.
>
> --
> Adrian C



Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?

We're already down to 9" netbooks. g


 
Reply With Quote
 
(PeteCresswell)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Per S.Lewis:
>Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
>
>We're already down to 9" netbooks. g


I just bought one of those couple weeks ago.

Does up to 19 x 12 on an attached monitor.

No moving parts except for a little CPU fan that comes on
occasionally.

3 USB ports for "real" mouse/keyboard/whatever....

5-6 honest hours of battery life.


Once they get the horsepower up some with the same battery life I
can see it as one's only PC.
--
PeteCresswell
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2009, 01:50 AM
S.Lewis wrote:
> "Adrian C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> S.Lewis wrote:
>>> ....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins. g

>> Writing is on the wall for all of those. Broadband wireless devices will
>> replace all and talk to the cloud.
>>
>> --
>> Adrian C

>
>
> Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
>
> We're already down to 9" netbooks. g
>
>


SOME people are down to 9" notebooks. I can't squint well enough to
read what is on a 9" screen. Some people will claim that my age makes
me inflexible and unwilling to change. Not true. The eyes have it.

I think there would be a bonanza for any name brand company (HPaq,
Lenovo or Dell) with 12" (that's TWELVE INCHES, Michael Dell!) laptop
powered by the Atom 330 chip. Think of a laptop the size of a Dell C400
or an IBM/Lenovo X-series, and with really low power consumption, but it
runs right quick... Ben Myers
 
Reply With Quote
 
S.Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2009, 04:44 AM

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gk6ahk$lm7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "Adrian C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> S.Lewis wrote:
>>>> ....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins.
>>>> g
>>> Writing is on the wall for all of those. Broadband wireless devices will
>>> replace all and talk to the cloud.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Adrian C

>>
>>
>> Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
>>
>> We're already down to 9" netbooks. g

>
> SOME people are down to 9" notebooks. I can't squint well enough to read
> what is on a 9" screen. Some people will claim that my age makes me
> inflexible and unwilling to change. Not true. The eyes have it.
>
> I think there would be a bonanza for any name brand company (HPaq, Lenovo
> or Dell) with 12" (that's TWELVE INCHES, Michael Dell!) laptop powered by
> the Atom 330 chip. Think of a laptop the size of a Dell C400 or an
> IBM/Lenovo X-series, and with really low power consumption, but it runs
> right quick... Ben Myers




The smaller keyboards just don't work for me. The C400 was a little
cramped, but workable. Can't imagine using a 10" or 9" netbook.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2009, 05:31 AM
S.Lewis wrote:
> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gk6ahk$lm7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> S.Lewis wrote:
>>> "Adrian C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> S.Lewis wrote:
>>>>> ....unless I learn to repair iPods, PDA's, mobile phones and Garmins.
>>>>> g
>>>> Writing is on the wall for all of those. Broadband wireless devices will
>>>> replace all and talk to the cloud.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Adrian C
>>>
>>> Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
>>>
>>> We're already down to 9" netbooks. g

>> SOME people are down to 9" notebooks. I can't squint well enough to read
>> what is on a 9" screen. Some people will claim that my age makes me
>> inflexible and unwilling to change. Not true. The eyes have it.
>>
>> I think there would be a bonanza for any name brand company (HPaq, Lenovo
>> or Dell) with 12" (that's TWELVE INCHES, Michael Dell!) laptop powered by
>> the Atom 330 chip. Think of a laptop the size of a Dell C400 or an
>> IBM/Lenovo X-series, and with really low power consumption, but it runs
>> right quick... Ben Myers

>
>
>
> The smaller keyboards just don't work for me. The C400 was a little
> cramped, but workable. Can't imagine using a 10" or 9" netbook.
>
>

Yep. Eensy teeny tiny keyboards are a pain in the ass for anyone with
larger fingers (i.e. post puberty) or who can touch type on a full sized
IBM Model M clicky keyboard. I have a little trouble typing on my 12"
Thinkpad X30... Ben Myers
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Lake
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2009, 01:13 PM


"css" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) d.net...
> Reuters http://xrl.us/bebvq6
>
> The age of the desktop PC appears to be over as its more
> portable cousin, the laptop, surges ahead with consumers
> clamoring for light-weight computers in funky designs for
> use at home, in cafes and on the train to work.
>
> Not a single desktop model was on Amazon.com's top 10
> selling PC and hardware list http://xrl.us/Top25Comp
>
> It was yet another sign that the former dominance of
> desktop PCs is fading as wireless advances and lower prices
> make laptops the preferred option for millions of PC users
> around the world.


There's a difference between not being dominant and not
being at all. If you had titled this, "The End of Desktop Dominance"
then I'd agree with you. There will always be a market for desktop
sized systems where expandability is important. My desktop has
three hard drives, two DVD burners, a Blu-Ray burner, a floppy drive,
a tape drive, slots for SD cards and devices, twelve USB ports (of
which nine are filled) a serial port with a device attached, a
parallel port with a device attached and a PS/2 mouse and
keyboard port with a bar code reader, keyboard and mouse
attached. When a laptop can do all that, I'll switch but until then,
I need my desktop!

Tom Lake

 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
(PeteCresswell) typed on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 19:38:29 -0500:
> Per S.Lewis:
>> Sure. But what will be the primary device(s) used by the end-user?
>>
>> We're already down to 9" netbooks. g

>
> I just bought one of those couple weeks ago.
>
> Does up to 19 x 12 on an attached monitor.
>
> No moving parts except for a little CPU fan that comes on
> occasionally.
>
> 3 USB ports for "real" mouse/keyboard/whatever....
>
> 5-6 honest hours of battery life.
>
> Once they get the horsepower up some with the same battery life I
> can see it as one's only PC.


How much horsepower do you need? As a 900MHz Celeron (underclocked to
633MHz) is plenty fast enough for me. It keeps up with DVD movies and
that is all the power I ask for. Anything more would be a waste.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High-end AVR vs. low-end ARM? Bresco Embedded 24 11-14-2008 11:14 PM
Anyone playing games with a high-end video card on a low-end system? Ant Nvidia 37 02-05-2008 02:27 AM
Anyone playing games with a high-end video card on a low-end system? Ant ATI 26 02-01-2008 03:42 PM
Staff HW Engineer ~ Lead Us to ATCA & Beyond in Your End-to-End Board-Level HW Design Jerry Bires Embedded 2 01-12-2007 10:17 PM
High End Embedded/Low-End x86 Benchmarks Available Alan R. Weiss Embedded 0 06-11-2004 08:33 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment