Engineering student needs laptop. Help?

me@privacy.net

I'm looking to buy a Lenovo laptop capable of running
solids modelers in training mode only. However there
might be many parts and assemblies

I want a Lenovo unit where the optical drive can be
pulled out and replaced with modular battery as once I
use the optical drive I seldom if ever use it much
again..... so no need lugging that around

Any ideas which model to get and what options?

Joe Makowiec

On 09 Sep 2009 in comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad, wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a Lenovo laptop capable of running
> solids modelers in training mode only. However there
> might be many parts and assemblies
>
> I want a Lenovo unit where the optical drive can be
> pulled out and replaced with modular battery as once I
> use the optical drive I seldom if ever use it much
> again..... so no need lugging that around
>
> Any ideas which model to get and what options?

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) has been ordering Thinkpads for
their entire freshman class for the past decade. Among other software,
they support CAD and modeling packages. Details on their program:

http://www.rpi.edu/laptops/overview.html

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Joe Makowiec wrote:
> On 09 Sep 2009 in comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad, wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to buy a Lenovo laptop capable of running
>> solids modelers in training mode only. However there
>> might be many parts and assemblies
>>
>> I want a Lenovo unit where the optical drive can be
>> pulled out and replaced with modular battery as once I
>> use the optical drive I seldom if ever use it much
>> again..... so no need lugging that around
>>
>> Any ideas which model to get and what options?

> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) has been ordering Thinkpads for
> their entire freshman class for the past decade. Among other
> software, they support CAD and modeling packages. Details on their
> program:
>
> http://www.rpi.edu/laptops/overview.html

There are lots of schools and colleges that use ThinkPads. In fact this T60
that I'm using was originally an 'acedemic spec' one according to tawbook.
In fact, just Google 'tawbook' and the first hit is mit.edu. Also lots of
the folks in the forum.thinkpads.com groups use them because they are the
school standard. (I see a few posts with people complaining that they aren't
allowed to modify their laptops until after they graduate.)

I'm very happy with mine.
--
Shaun.