EP-8RDA+Pro and Memory Speed Problem

Ed Kemper

I purchased an EP-8RDA and put in two sticks of Corsair VS512MB400 RAM and
used the "Auto" option for configuring the memory. When I boot up it says the
memory is running at 200MHz, but the specs for the RAM say 400MHz. Whe I try
to manually set it to 400MHz the system won't boot.

Is it really running at 400MHz and the post message is wrong? Any tips on
where I might be going wrong in the BIOS setup?

Thanks for any help!

Gary Wiley

It's called double data rate because the memory runs at twice the
front side bus speed.

The memory is running at 400MHz.

Gary

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:42:50 -0000, (E-Mail Removed) (Ed Kemper)
wrote:

>I purchased an EP-8RDA and put in two sticks of Corsair VS512MB400 RAM and
>used the "Auto" option for configuring the memory. When I boot up it says the
>memory is running at 200MHz, but the specs for the RAM say 400MHz. Whe I try
>to manually set it to 400MHz the system won't boot.
>
>Is it really running at 400MHz and the post message is wrong? Any tips on
>where I might be going wrong in the BIOS setup?
>
>Thanks for any help!

Ed Kemper

Thanks. This might sound stupid but I thought the Epox board had a FSB of
400MHz. Also, I have some PC2700 memory in an ABIT NF7-S board and it is also
DDR memory, and when I boot that machine the POST message says the memory is
running at 333MHz.

Guess I'm just thick....

>It's called double data rate because the memory runs at twice the
>front side bus speed.
>
>The memory is running at 400MHz.
>
>Gary
>
>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:42:50 -0000, (E-Mail Removed) (Ed Kemper)
>wrote:
>
>>I purchased an EP-8RDA and put in two sticks of Corsair VS512MB400 RAM and
>>used the "Auto" option for configuring the memory. When I boot up it says

the
>>memory is running at 200MHz, but the specs for the RAM say 400MHz. Whe I try
>>to manually set it to 400MHz the system won't boot.
>>
>>Is it really running at 400MHz and the post message is wrong? Any tips on
>>where I might be going wrong in the BIOS setup?
>>
>>Thanks for any help!

Travis King

Why you're only getting 333MHz is because that's how fast PC-2700 RAM is...
PC-3200 - 400MHz FSB (200MHz)
PC-2700 - 333MHz FSB (166MHz)
PC-2100 - 266MHz FSB (133MHz)
"Ed Kemper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. This might sound stupid but I thought the Epox board had a FSB of
> 400MHz. Also, I have some PC2700 memory in an ABIT NF7-S board and it is
> also
> DDR memory, and when I boot that machine the POST message says the memory
> is
> running at 333MHz.
>
> Guess I'm just thick....
>

>>It's called double data rate because the memory runs at twice the
>>front side bus speed.
>>
>>The memory is running at 400MHz.
>>
>>Gary
>>
>>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:42:50 -0000, (E-Mail Removed) (Ed Kemper)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I purchased an EP-8RDA and put in two sticks of Corsair VS512MB400 RAM
>>>and
>>>used the "Auto" option for configuring the memory. When I boot up it says

> the
>>>memory is running at 200MHz, but the specs for the RAM say 400MHz. Whe I
>>>try
>>>to manually set it to 400MHz the system won't boot.
>>>
>>>Is it really running at 400MHz and the post message is wrong? Any tips on
>>>where I might be going wrong in the BIOS setup?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help!

Ed Kemper

Thanks, but that wasn't my point -- I KNOW the PC2700 runs at 333MHz. I meant
that on the Abit board the correct speed
(333MHz DDR in dual channel mode) is displayed for the PC2700, and on the Epox
board a speed of 200MHz is displayed for the
PC3200. I thought it weird that just because the memory is DDR the Epox board
doesn't display a speed of 400MHz for the
memory, that the user is supposed to think, "Oh, it's really 400MHz because
it's dual data rate."

>Why you're only getting 333MHz is because that's how fast PC-2700 RAM is...
>PC-3200 - 400MHz FSB (200MHz)
>PC-2700 - 333MHz FSB (166MHz)
>PC-2100 - 266MHz FSB (133MHz)
>"Ed Kemper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks. This might sound stupid but I thought the Epox board had a FSB of
>> 400MHz. Also, I have some PC2700 memory in an ABIT NF7-S board and it is
>> also
>> DDR memory, and when I boot that machine the POST message says the memory
>> is
>> running at 333MHz.
>>
>> Guess I'm just thick....
>>

>>>It's called double data rate because the memory runs at twice the
>>>front side bus speed.
>>>
>>>The memory is running at 400MHz.
>>>
>>>Gary

>> the

F Sutherland

133 x 2 = 266 & 266 * 8 = 2100 give or take
166 x 2 = 332(333) & 333 * 8 = 2700 give or take
200 x 2 = 400 & 400 * 8 = 3200

why is 8 being used or to be exact 7.89 and 8.1 and 8 (all around 8) being
used here and why call is pc2100 etc etc?

Hugh