Essential security/utility software

Steve

Hi,

My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a little
on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't thought
of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
necessaries:

Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
bloating things up

Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable modem
service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how to
set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
overly vunerable or overly restricted.

Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it does.

Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to find
the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.

If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California) for
this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.

Thanks very much.

David

Kill the Norton utilities it's more trouble than it's worth

Adkiller/AdAware --- Yes

NAV ---- yes

Firewall -- Yes get a router with a firewall built in , much safer and
uses next to no resources

POP-up stopper , don't go on the hacker/pirate or porno sites and
save some money

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:14:08 -0700, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a little
>on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't thought
>of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
>ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
>necessaries:
>
>Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
>bloating things up
>
>Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable modem
>service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how to
>set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
>overly vunerable or overly restricted.
>
>Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
>especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it does.
>
>Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to find
>the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.
>
>If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
>favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California) for
>this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.
>
>Thanks very much.

Dan Sgambelluri

Adkiller: either Spybot or Adaware

Antivirus - Nortons Antivirus, McAfee Antivirus plus free ones like AVG

Firewall: Like David said, get a router that has a firewall built in.
Safer and uses next to no resourses. If you don't want to get a firewall.
ZoneAlarm is free and is very good.

Pop: I use Mozilla Browser, it has a pop up blocker. So does the Slim
Browser. I only use IE to do Windows Update.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kill the Norton utilities it's more trouble than it's worth
>
> Adkiller/AdAware --- Yes
>
> NAV ---- yes
>
> Firewall -- Yes get a router with a firewall built in , much safer and
> uses next to no resources
>
> POP-up stopper , don't go on the hacker/pirate or porno sites and
> save some money
>

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:14:08 -0700, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a

little
> >on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't

thought
> >of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure

the
> >ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following

are
> >necessaries:
> >
> >Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
> >bloating things up
> >
> >Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable

modem
> >service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how

> >set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
> >overly vunerable or overly restricted.
> >
> >Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
> >especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it

does.

> >Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to

find
> >the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.
> >
> >If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
> >favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California)

for
> >this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.
> >
> >Thanks very much.

PC Gladiator

Might want to check these out:

Anti-Virus:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

System Scanner:
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

Firewall:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...sp?lid=pdb_za1

Popup Stopper & Spam Washer:
http://www.panicware.com/

Great little graphics utility:
http://www.irfanview.com/index.htm

Dan Sgambelluri

Infraview just came out with a new version today.

"PC Gladiator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Might want to check these out:
>
> Anti-Virus:
> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
>
> System Scanner:
> http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
>
> Firewall:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...sp?lid=pdb_za1

> Popup Stopper & Spam Washer:
> http://www.panicware.com/
>
> Great little graphics utility:
> http://www.irfanview.com/index.htm

HillBillyBuddhist

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a

little
> on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't

thought
> of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
> ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
> necessaries:
>
> Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
> bloating things up
>
> Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable

modem
> service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how

> set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
> overly vunerable or overly restricted.
>
> Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
> especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it

does.

> Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to

find
> the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.
>
> If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
> favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California)

for
> this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.
>
> Thanks very much.

In addition to the items you mention I would consider a simple wired router,
even if you will only have the one computer. I frequently see models like
the Linksys BEFSR11 (
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=29&prid=142 ) for
less than $50.00. It provides an excellent additional layer of protection.

I run my 4 PC LAN with a cable connection through a router and have not seen
an incoming hit on any of the computers firewalls ever (3+years). Simply put
from behind a router your computer(s) appear not to exist from the outside.

In my opinion (others will disagree) in addition to the router it is prudent
to continue to run a software firewall as well. While the router provides
good incoming protection a software firewall will alert you to and protect
you from "phone home" type malware (trojans, spyware, adware etc..) that
might conceivably find their way into your system despite other measures.

I use Norton Personal Firewall on two of my computers and Zonealarm's free
version on the others. I find them both adequate.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Ogden Johnson III

Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a little
>on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't thought
>of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
>ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
>necessaries:

>Anti-Virus
>
>Firewall
>
>Norton-like Utilities
>
>Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer

>If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
>favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California) for
>this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.

I can agree with your list, save the lack of an anti-spyware program.
However, what I like is not going to agree with what someone else
likes. Only you know your own likes and dislikes for any of the
things individual programs within your categories might or might not
do. e.g., I like Norton, but can assure you that there are thousands
out there that will disagree with me and thousands of other Norton
users. Go to comp.security.firewalls and watch the wall-to-wall
slamming and spirited defenses of every software firewall program
mentioned.

Go to the websites of the programs in your categories, see what they
say they do, and compare with what other programs say they do. Find
the best match for what you want to see, and go with it. Expect at
least one disappointment with something you spent $$s on and will have
to replace.

OJ III

RobeFortu1

>Hi,

>My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a little
>on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't thought
>of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
>ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
>necessaries:
>
>Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
>bloating things up
>
>Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable modem
>service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how to
>set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
>overly vunerable or overly restricted.
>
>Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
>especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it does.
>
>Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to
>find
>the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.
>
>If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
>favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California) for
>this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.

Norton SystemWorks 2003 includes Norton
Anti-Virus, defragger, system doctor and can be gotten on eBAY for $5.00-$10.00
The manual is on the CD.

-Robert

S.Lewis

"HillBillyBuddhist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:bj7unr$gd75v$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a

> little
> > on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't

> thought
> > of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure

the
> > ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following

are
> > necessaries:
> >
> > Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
> > bloating things up

Computer Associates ETrust Anti-virus.

> > Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable

> modem
> > service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how

> > set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves

you
> > overly vunerable or overly restricted.

A hardware firewall would be nice. At one time I was fond of Zone Alarm
software firewall, but the newer versions seemed as much to intrusive and a
hassle to use.

> > Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
> > especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it

> does.

Bloatware.

> > Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is

> find
> > the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.

Pow! from analogX pop up stopper, and Lavasoft's AdAware for spyware/ad
cleaning.

<snip>

A hardware router is a wonderful thing.

Stew

jmnugent

I have to agree with others about Norton for anti-virus. I've used it for
years--and never had problems.
Although I strongly suggest againest any of the Norton Utility packages
(System Doctor,etc).
They're all bloatware and (in my past experience) just mess thinks up more
than they fix.
Personally, I just use the Windows built in Defragger and Disk Cleanup.

Ad-Aware is a great spyware/malware scanner.

I also strongly agree with what others have said about a hardware firewall.
I'm using a Linksys WRT54G (4port switch, firewall and wireless router)

I'm also using BlackIce software firewall on my main box, mostly because as
others have noted,
the hardware firewall wont alert you if programs are making outgoing
connections. A software firewall will do this...

-jmnugent

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...