Expert3D in Sun E250 ?

snowleopard

Has anyone tried a Sun Expert3D 24-Bit Color Frame Buffer in a Sun E25
Server, I'm looking to replace the PGX64 with something better
Thanks.

Part Numbers for the Expert3D: X3678A, 595-5239, 370-3987

--
snowleopar
snowleopard's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/3

Trinean

> Has anyone tried a Sun Expert3D 24-Bit Color Frame Buffer in a Sun E250
> Server, I'm looking to replace the PGX64 with something better.
> Thanks.
>
> Part Numbers for the Expert3D: X3678A, 595-5239, 370-3987.

Does the E250 even have the right kind of slot to plug in an Expert3D card?
The E450 does, but it looks like the E250 may only take PCI cards.

Trinean

Rich Teer

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, snowleopard wrote:

> Has anyone tried a Sun Expert3D 24-Bit Color Frame Buffer in a Sun E250
> Server, I'm looking to replace the PGX64 with something better.
> Thanks.

Not sure. I'm also not sure why anyone would want to use something
as noisy as an E250 as a deskside machine!

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

snowleopard

Primarily I use it as a Server, but on occassion I run some EDA/CA
stuff on it and having a decent frame buffer helps. The E250 is base
on the same system board as the U60 and shares some similarities wit
the E450. That being the case many parts are interchangable (though no
all defined in the individual system parts matrix). The Expert3
(X3678A, 595-5239, 370-3987) is PCI based and is a valid PN for th
U60, so I'm interested in knowing if anyone has used this card in a
E250. Thanks again for the input

--
snowleopar
snowleopard's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/3
View this thread: http://unixadmintalk.com/showthread.php?t=24936

Michael Laajanen

Hi,

Trinean wrote:
>>Has anyone tried a Sun Expert3D 24-Bit Color Frame Buffer in a Sun E250
>>Server, I'm looking to replace the PGX64 with something better.
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Part Numbers for the Expert3D: X3678A, 595-5239, 370-3987.

> Does the E250 even have the right kind of slot to plug in an Expert3D card?
> The E450 does, but it looks like the E250 may only take PCI cards.
>
> Trinean

Only PCI slots.

/michael

Michael Laajanen

Hi,

Rich Teer wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, snowleopard wrote:
>

>>Has anyone tried a Sun Expert3D 24-Bit Color Frame Buffer in a Sun E250
>>Server, I'm looking to replace the PGX64 with something better.
>>Thanks.

> Not sure. I'm also not sure why anyone would want to use something
> as noisy as an E250 as a deskside machine!

E250 is not that noisy, a 2500 WS is not better more like worse.

Myself can't understand why someone would like a full blown computer on
the desk at all!

SunRays, ahh

/michael

Michael Laajanen

Hi,

snowleopard wrote:
> Primarily I use it as a Server, but on occassion I run some EDA/CAD
> stuff on it and having a decent frame buffer helps. The E250 is based
> on the same system board as the U60 and shares some similarities with
> the E450. That being the case many parts are interchangable (though not
> all defined in the individual system parts matrix). The Expert3D
> (X3678A, 595-5239, 370-3987) is PCI based and is a valid PN for the
> U60, so I'm interested in knowing if anyone has used this card in an
> E250. Thanks again for the input.

Without tested that combination of boards I find it hard to belive that
Solaris would exclude a specific framebuffer.

I could imagine that it would not(but I do think it works) work in
openboot, but that should not be a issue once Solaris is loaded and
running.

For EDA a XVR-100 or 500 would work fine to, if not better but not as
good as a SunRay I would think, I use SunRays for EDA 100% and only in
large waveforms it slows down.

/michael

sun E250,sun E450,A1000,A5000 configarations muni Sun Hardware 2 04-11-2006 11:38 AM
Sun Expert3D Lite and SUN Ultra 10 =?iso-8859-2?Q?Artur_D=EAbski?= Sun Hardware 0 03-01-2006 11:50 AM
NEC 2080UX LCD on Sun Expert3D lite and Elite3D m3? Steven R. Jones Sun Hardware 2 02-01-2005 03:22 AM
SUN E250 David Edwards Sun Hardware 0 01-30-2004 12:07 AM
Expert3D in Sun Blade1000 Jogchem Sun Hardware 3 10-07-2003 11:14 PM