External Drives Connected Internally

Nullcode

Im looking to build my own external dvd drive enclosure using Internal
Drives.

I already have more than enough drives, so I dont really want to buy an
external drive. What I want to do convert the molex and ide to connect
into the back of the base system via USB, Im happy to have some mod to
convert the molex to the mains AC. Ive seen IDE->USB adapters which look
ideal, but they are a little big and expensive. The power cabling is the
most troubling part as I dont really know where to start, what would be
the best way to achieve this and what parts would I be looking for. Help
and resources would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks

--
Nullcode
"Suffering is a result of desire"

Jan Alter

I guess it's a commendable idea but there are already so many external drive
enclosures out there that it's like reinventing the wheel. Before you
continue your quest why don't you check newegg.com out. They've got at least
50 drive enclosure cases and many will take either a hard drive or
CD-ROM/DVD player or burner. I've had good luck with the Bytec that listed
below for less than $40

Jan Alter
(E-Mail Removed)
or
(E-Mail Removed)12.pa.us
"Nullcode" <dev@null> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im looking to build my own external dvd drive enclosure using Internal
> Drives.
>
> I already have more than enough drives, so I dont really want to buy an
> external drive. What I want to do convert the molex and ide to connect
> into the back of the base system via USB, Im happy to have some mod to
> convert the molex to the mains AC. Ive seen IDE->USB adapters which look
> ideal, but they are a little big and expensive. The power cabling is the
> most troubling part as I dont really know where to start, what would be
> the best way to achieve this and what parts would I be looking for. Help
> and resources would be greatfully recieved.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Nullcode
> "Suffering is a result of desire"
> bnVsbGNvZGVAbnVsbGNvZGUuY29t
> www.hidemyemail.net

kony

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:26:04 +0100, Nullcode <dev@null>
wrote:

>Im looking to build my own external dvd drive enclosure using Internal
>Drives.
>
>I already have more than enough drives, so I dont really want to buy an
>external drive. What I want to do convert the molex and ide to connect
>into the back of the base system via USB, Im happy to have some mod to
>convert the molex to the mains AC.

Frankly, "do some mod to convert" makes me wonder if you'd
end up electrocuting yourself. The solution is not a mod to
power it from AC, it is a complete switching power supply.
There are other ways, not as optimal, efficient, or tidy.

>Ive seen IDE->USB adapters which look
>ideal, but they are a little big and expensive.

Big? It's an adapter, a circuit not just a pin converter so
it can only get so small. You make no reference to specific
products though so there is no frame of reference for how
big, "big" is.

>The power cabling is the
>most troubling part as I dont really know where to start, what would be
>the best way to achieve this and what parts would I be looking for. Help
>and resources would be greatfully recieved.
>
>Thanks

Either get an extension cable to take the computer power
over to the enclosure or buy an adapter that comes with a
small power supply. For example,
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...2IDE-N&cat=CBL

However, if your system supports SATA, you might be better
off getting an SATA to IDE adapter (since the drive is
presumably IDE, PATA) as it will be significantly faster
than USB2 and less system overhead.

Nullcode

Jan Alter wrote:

> I guess it's a commendable idea but there are already so many external drive
> enclosures out there that it's like reinventing the wheel. Before you
> continue your quest why don't you check newegg.com out. They've got at least
> 50 drive enclosure cases and many will take either a hard drive or
> CD-ROM/DVD player or burner. I've had good luck with the Bytec that listed
> below for less than $40

The reason I ask is that Im building the whole case from scratch and Ill
be constructing the enclosures to match. I did consider buying an
enclosure and taking out the circuitry, but it would be an expensive way
to do it.