External monitor, close the lid?

joshdance@gmail.com

Running WinXP Pro SP2 on a T40. I have my external display set up just
like I want it, with the Thinkpad LCD off. The only thing is I have to
keep the lid of the laptop open so that the external monitor stays on.
Whenever I close the lid, the external monitor goes out. I'd like to
be able to close the lid. I don't think it matters, but I've got power
management settings such that the machine never turns off. So, any
idea how to close the lid and keep the external display on?

Larry

Power management options. Set the action to perform when the lid is closed
as required.

-Larry

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Running WinXP Pro SP2 on a T40. I have my external display set up just
> like I want it, with the Thinkpad LCD off. The only thing is I have to
> keep the lid of the laptop open so that the external monitor stays on.
> Whenever I close the lid, the external monitor goes out. I'd like to
> be able to close the lid. I don't think it matters, but I've got power
> management settings such that the machine never turns off. So, any
> idea how to close the lid and keep the external display on?

joshdance@gmail.com

I have the options to "Do nothing," "Stand by," and "Hibernate."
Currently I have "Do nothing."

Any other ideas?

John Doue

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Running WinXP Pro SP2 on a T40. I have my external display set up just
> like I want it, with the Thinkpad LCD off. The only thing is I have to
> keep the lid of the laptop open so that the external monitor stays on.
> Whenever I close the lid, the external monitor goes out. I'd like to
> be able to close the lid. I don't think it matters, but I've got power
> management settings such that the machine never turns off. So, any
> idea how to close the lid and keep the external display on?

May be against the conventional thinking of ThinkPad owners, I
personally would not close the lid on a working laptop for fear of heat
build-up. Remember, the display is not the component which generate
heats ... I have had this debate already with a Thinkpad owner, but I am
against taking chances. Buy a laptop if you want to mimick one!

--
John Doue

Josh

John, this is certainly an option but I don't see any reason why
closing the lid would cause a heat problem. I'm willing to take my
chances... :-)

Any other ideas?

Larry

That should be the one!

-Larry

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have the options to "Do nothing," "Stand by," and "Hibernate."
> Currently I have "Do nothing."
>
> Any other ideas?

Josh

Ok Larry, thanks for the suggestion, but I think you might be
misunderstanding. I'm saying that I *already have* that option set.
These options control whether your computer goes in sleep or hibernate
mode when you close the lid. The computer does not go in sleep or
hibernate mode, it's ONLY that the monitor turns off. Please reread my
original post.

Josh

Problem solved. The problem is that the monitor blacks out when the
lid is partially closed, and then when it's closed completely it comes
back on. So there was a few seconds of delay and I just had to wait it
out. Thanks for the suggestions, and I apologize for such a dumb
mistake on my part!! :-/

Larry

No, I understood fully

I'm just saying that _should_ be the one that takes care of it.

I know it works if you are in a docking station or Port Replicator. I have
thousands of users doing just that.

-Larry

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...