External screen resolutions with a R50p

Thomas Luzat

Hi,

quite similar to Rainer R. Friedrichs post about X31 and X41:

What external resolutions are supported through the VGA port of a R50p
or more specifically: Can I attach an external 1920x1200 LCD display and
use it at full resolution? I wouldn't mind switching of the notebook's
display itself while doing that. Unfortunately I couldn't find any
information on the net so far and don't have a display to test with yet.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Thomas Luzat

--
PGP: 0xBACEB25A, F359 C1B4 A8B7 4C9E E379 B9C9 0213 1A27 BACE B25A

Tom Rutherford

"Thomas Luzat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> quite similar to Rainer R. Friedrichs post about X31 and X41:
>
> What external resolutions are supported through the VGA port of a R50p
> or more specifically: Can I attach an external 1920x1200 LCD display and
> use it at full resolution? I wouldn't mind switching of the notebook's
> display itself while doing that. Unfortunately I couldn't find any
> information on the net so far and don't have a display to test with yet.
>
> Thanks!

I think this depends on the display. The R50p will probably tell you that
it's detected new hardware, and you'll have to supply it with a driver if it
can't find the driver for it. Then, its settings will be available to you.
That's what I found when I used my R51 as a desktop for a while.
Fortunately, XP had a driver for my Samsung 193v, so I didn't have to go
looking for a driver. I just set it the way I wanted it, and forgot about
it.

HTH.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

Thomas Luzat

> I think this depends on the display. The R50p will probably tell you that
> it's detected new hardware, and you'll have to supply it with a driver if it
> can't find the driver for it. Then, its settings will be available to you.
> That's what I found when I used my R51 as a desktop for a while.
> Fortunately, XP had a driver for my Samsung 193v, so I didn't have to go
> looking for a driver. I just set it the way I wanted it, and forgot about
> it.

Thanks. My main concern was that a wide-screen resolution or a
resolution as high as 1920x1200 might not work well. But given that 60
Hz are fine, it works with my 2048x1536 CRT and I had the chance to test
on a 1680x1050 TFT I figure that it'll work. New TFT already ordered... :-)

Cheers

Thomas

--
PGP: 0xBACEB25A, F359 C1B4 A8B7 4C9E E379 B9C9 0213 1A27 BACE B25A

Tom Rutherford

"Thomas Luzat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I think this depends on the display. The R50p will probably tell you

that
> > it's detected new hardware, and you'll have to supply it with a driver

if it
> > can't find the driver for it. Then, its settings will be available to

you.
> > That's what I found when I used my R51 as a desktop for a while.
> > Fortunately, XP had a driver for my Samsung 193v, so I didn't have to go
> > looking for a driver. I just set it the way I wanted it, and forgot

about
> > it.

> Thanks. My main concern was that a wide-screen resolution or a
> resolution as high as 1920x1200 might not work well. But given that 60
> Hz are fine, it works with my 2048x1536 CRT and I had the chance to test
> on a 1680x1050 TFT I figure that it'll work. New TFT already ordered...

:-)

Not sure about the odd resolutions. You might have to check with Intel, or
whoever provided your video chipset (it's Intel for the R51 2888-GRU,
anyway), but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Back in the late '90s, when
I was playing with RedHat Linux 5.2 Deluxe, I was able to do some strange
things with the video clock frequency and different resolutions. That was
on a cheap video card based on the Tseng Labs ET-4000 chipset. So, I think
it *should* work.