External USB mass storage device mounts, but no mapping

y_stoner@yahoo.com

Hello-
I have an external USB mass storage device and I am running Win2K
on my PC. Up until last week, when I plugged in the external drive, it
would mount and assign a drive letter in windows explorer. This week,
it mounts the drive, calls it a USB mass storage device, but there is
no way for me to access it! I have tried uninstalling all the USB
drivers and reinstalling to no avail. I have also tried plugging into
all the other USB ports on my machine.
Under the device manager windows tells me that this device is
working properly. If anyone know of something else I can try so that I
can access the data on the drive I would greatly appreciate it!!!

-j9

Emile Jackson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1112040036.769800.161860
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Hello-
> I have an external USB mass storage device and I am running Win2K
> on my PC. Up until last week, when I plugged in the external drive, it
> would mount and assign a drive letter in windows explorer. This week,
> it mounts the drive, calls it a USB mass storage device, but there is
> no way for me to access it! I have tried uninstalling all the USB
> drivers and reinstalling to no avail. I have also tried plugging into
> all the other USB ports on my machine.
> Under the device manager windows tells me that this device is
> working properly. If anyone know of something else I can try so that I
> can access the data on the drive I would greatly appreciate it!!!
>
> -j9

Hi,

First of all, make sure the problem isn't caused by your operating
system. To do this, plug the harddisk in a different system. If it runs
properly on a different machine, even with the same operating system,
something is wrong with your own windows installation.

If this isn't the case, something is wrong with the storage device. This
can be caused by several things. The most common problem is that the
drive was not properly dismounted. So maybe you have put some data on the
drive and afterwards just pulled the USB plug out, without choosing
"Unplug or eject the hardware". That option can be found in the task bar
of windows 2000 next to the little clock. Right click on the icon with
the green arrow gets you in the screen where you can dismount the storage
devices.

Another possibility is malfunction of hardware of the storage device. The
part that converts the USB interface to an UDMA interface sometimes
fails. Of course the hard disk itself can have a defect as well.
If the harddisk itself has a defect, in example: its not spinning up or
it's only making a loud ticking or beeping noise, you will need
professional help to get your data back.

Most harddisk manufacturers have software tools on their websites to
diagnose the disk, even when it is connected to USB. So it seems wise to
check the website first.

Saving the data and solving the problem:

If the problem is caused by your operating system, saving the data is
easy:

Attach the disk to a different machine and make a backup on DVD R or on
Cd's.
Then solve the problem on your own machine. The most work is reinstalling
the operating system, but this always works as long as there is nothing
wrong with the hardware.
Another way is just reinstalling all chipset- /motherboard drivers, but
since you have been busy with drivers already without success, maybe its
faster to just reinstall windows.

If the problem is caused by the device its a bit more tricky, because you
need to open the device for that. Remember that if you do that, the
warranty will probably be over. So ask yourself if the data is more
valuable then the hardware.

Open the case. Most cases are screwed together and sometimes you need to
break one or more warranty seals. When the case is open you will see a
harddisk, just the same as in your desktop system. First unscrew the
harddisk, then carefully lift it out and remove the data and power cable.
Then place the harddisk in a desktop system and attach it as a slave or
secondary master.

When the system boots up, it may give a message that the device was not
probably dismounted and that it needs to check the disk. Just let it
check the drive and afterwards, when windows has started, you can make a
backup. When the backup is ready, just turn off the system and rebuild
both desktop and external harddisk. It maybe necessary to repartition the
external harddisk. This can be done by right clicking on "My computer",
then choose: "Manage" and in the left part of the management window you
will see "Disk management". Select that one and you can repartition and
format the drive.

It is also possible the partition information on the drive is gone. In
that case the drive won't be visible in windows, even if it was properly
connected. Check the drive with suitable software for that. Most software
provided by the harddisk manufacturer is free and can check the drive for
physical and electronic errors. Partition magic can also help, it can
easily see if the partition table is corrupt. If so, you will need
special data recovery software to restore the partition table.

Also think of the possibility of professional harddisk recovery. For a
few hundred dollars you can let your data be recovered by special data
recovery companies. If your data is very valuable that might be a good
idea.

Good luck,

Emile