Salmon Egg

I have an Elgato hybrid tuner on my Mac Pro. It uses Eye-TV as the app
to make it work. It is a pretty decent program, but not great. For
example, I cannot print a list of channels or copy the list and paste it
int a spreadsheet such as Excel.

Is there an application other than Eye-TV that can work with Elgato's
tuners that can export the usual kinds of data files or text to a
printer?

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

David Empson

Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an Elgato hybrid tuner on my Mac Pro. It uses Eye-TV as the app
> to make it work. It is a pretty decent program, but not great. For
> example, I cannot print a list of channels or copy the list and paste it
> int a spreadsheet such as Excel.
>
> Is there an application other than Eye-TV that can work with Elgato's
> tuners that can export the usual kinds of data files or text to a
> printer?

Probably not, but it looks like there is a way to do what you want with
EyeTV itself.

The EyeTV application can be driven by AppleScript. From a quick glance
its AppleScript dictionary appears to contain information such as a list
of channels.

The question is do you know AppleScript, or are you willing to learn it
sufficiently for this simple task, or at least do a hunt around to see
if someone has already written an AppleScript to do what you want.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Salmon Egg

In article <1knj6f6.6a9c3h1dgbpzsN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
> > Is there an application other than Eye-TV that can work with Elgato's
> > tuners that can export the usual kinds of data files or text to a
> > printer?

> Probably not, but it looks like there is a way to do what you want with
> EyeTV itself.
>
> The EyeTV application can be driven by AppleScript. From a quick glance
> its AppleScript dictionary appears to contain information such as a list
> of channels.
>
> The question is do you know AppleScript, or are you willing to learn it
> sufficiently for this simple task, or at least do a hunt around to see
> if someone has already written an AppleScript to do what you want.

Thanks for the info. I would like to learn how to use AppleScript but I
do not know if I am up to it. I did communicate with Elgato. They
indicated that there was no way to do what I wanted. They seemed open to
including my requested featured but I do not expect anything for a
loooong while.

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an Elgato hybrid tuner on my Mac Pro. It uses Eye-TV as the app
> to make it work. It is a pretty decent program, but not great. For
> example, I cannot print a list of channels or copy the list and paste it
> int a spreadsheet such as Excel.
>
> Is there an application other than Eye-TV that can work with Elgato's
> tuners that can export the usual kinds of data files or text to a
> printer?

Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Shared/ChannelList.xml

An XSLT could fix it. You'll probably have to do some math to convert
the data to frequencies and virtual channel IDs.

Salmon Egg

In article <5008c258$0$46652$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Kevin McMurtrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have an Elgato hybrid tuner on my Mac Pro. It uses Eye-TV as the app
> > to make it work. It is a pretty decent program, but not great. For
> > example, I cannot print a list of channels or copy the list and paste it
> > int a spreadsheet such as Excel.
> >
> > Is there an application other than Eye-TV that can work with Elgato's
> > tuners that can export the usual kinds of data files or text to a
> > printer?

> Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Shared/ChannelList.xml
>
> An XSLT could fix it. You'll probably have to do some math to convert
> the data to frequencies and virtual channel IDs.

This is very interesting. I looked up XSLT in Wikipedia. At this time I
do not have the knowledge to use that information well enough. I do not
know if I am capable of learning what is necessary.

You made me think, however, of the possibility of having a text version
of Apple's Grab (for screenshots) for capturing screen text and
converting it to readable files. A cursory search of Google encourages
me to believe that a suitable application is available.

I am going to post another message on this group about that possibility.

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

Michael Vilain

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <5008c258$0$46652$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Kevin McMurtrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > I have an Elgato hybrid tuner on my Mac Pro. It uses Eye-TV as the app
> > > to make it work. It is a pretty decent program, but not great. For
> > > example, I cannot print a list of channels or copy the list and paste it
> > > int a spreadsheet such as Excel.
> > >
> > > Is there an application other than Eye-TV that can work with Elgato's
> > > tuners that can export the usual kinds of data files or text to a
> > > printer?

> > Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Shared/ChannelList.xml
> >
> > An XSLT could fix it. You'll probably have to do some math to convert
> > the data to frequencies and virtual channel IDs.

> This is very interesting. I looked up XSLT in Wikipedia. At this time I
> do not have the knowledge to use that information well enough. I do not
> know if I am capable of learning what is necessary.
>
> You made me think, however, of the possibility of having a text version
> of Apple's Grab (for screenshots) for capturing screen text and
> converting it to readable files. A cursory search of Google encourages
> me to believe that a suitable application is available.
>
> I am going to post another message on this group about that possibility.

There is no "text version" of the screen grab. The best you could do is
doing some sort of OCR (google it) on the graphics file. That will cost
you some real cash money.

John Holt

On 2012-07-19 23:44:54 +0000, Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I have an Elgato hybrid tuner on my Mac Pro. It uses Eye-TV as the app
> to make it work. It is a pretty decent program, but not great. For
> example, I cannot print a list of channels or copy the list and paste it
> int a spreadsheet such as Excel.
>
> Is there an application other than Eye-TV that can work with Elgato's
> tuners that can export the usual kinds of data files or text to a
> printer?

I am not certain what you mean "work with" in your note, so this may
not be responsive.

You can use the Titan TV ( http://www.titantv.com/ )website as your
data source. The HTML tables are a little messy, but you should be
able to extract if you want. They will print just fine if that is all
you want to do with them.

The website allows you to select a program to schedule, which downloads
a file that Eye TV consumes and generates a schedule event.

Good luck,

--
John Holt

Salmon Egg

In article <2012072109572116807-me@foonet>, John Holt <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I am not certain what you mean "work with" in your note, so this may
> not be responsive.
>
> You can use the Titan TV ( http://www.titantv.com/ )website as your
> data source. The HTML tables are a little messy, but you should be
> able to extract if you want. They will print just fine if that is all
> you want to do with them.
>
> The website allows you to select a program to schedule, which downloads
> a file that Eye TV consumes and generates a schedule event.

I could have been more specific.

Titan TV is a source of programming data. I was interested in getting
the settings of my Elgato tuner. EyeTV presents these channel listings
along with other data like frequencies. It is that table of Elgato
settings that I am trying to get into a spreadsheet.

--

Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Have you looked into AppleScript yet? I've done some things with
> AppleScript and EyeTV myself in the past, but it's been a while.

One of my long term goals is to comprehend and use AppleScript. I am not
sure I have it in me to achieve long term goals. :=)