Failed Mobo ?

RobF

8KTA 3 PRO Computer won't start. Tried resetting at J1- jumpers to pins 2
and 3, replace to 1 and two. Hard drive powered but nothing on monitor
(except "Check signal cable".

Please suggest ways to determine if mobo is dead, and I must rebuild, or
some other cause why no POST.

Suggestions will be much appreciated.

JAD

trade out video card...OB graphics?
reseat all expansions cards
any beeps?

"RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:OZdJh.13553$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 8KTA 3 PRO Computer won't start. Tried resetting at J1- jumpers to pins 2
> and 3, replace to 1 and two. Hard drive powered but nothing on monitor
> (except "Check signal cable".
>
> Please suggest ways to determine if mobo is dead, and I must rebuild, or
> some other cause why no POST.
>
> Suggestions will be much appreciated.

dave

Try another PSU.

DaveL

news:XgiJh.2928$(E-Mail Removed)...

"RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:XgiJh.2928$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, JAD. " Trade out" means remove from sys props, remove from puter,
> install my one old, old backup?

see below

> "OB" graphics means...?

on board or integrated onto the mainboard (you don't i checked)

> I'll reseat expansion cards.
> Video not very old - 5 years, no signs of imminent failing before
> disaster.

so you have an expansion card for video

try a PCI vid card if you can

> Beeps: After the change/change back jumper at J2, HDD failed to power, then

This could be a symptom of bad caps and /or Power supply

> on third try powered and there might have been a ghost of the case speaker's
> beep - too faint to be sure. Nothing followed.

Your board is from an era where the mainboards were dying from bad capacitors
check for bulging tops or leaking from the capacitors> (silos -cylinders) coming up from
the board

> Your observations much better than the single one from Epox. Tech Rep never
> there, calls back at least convenient time, has heavy foreign accent.
> Your further thoughts would be most welcome.
>

> "JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7UgJh.15$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> trade out video card...OB graphics?
>> reseat all expansions cards
>> any beeps?
>>
>> "RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:OZdJh.13553$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > 8KTA 3 PRO Computer won't start. Tried resetting at J1- jumpers to pins

> 2
>> > and 3, replace to 1 and two. Hard drive powered but nothing on monitor
>> > (except "Check signal cable".
>> >
>> > Please suggest ways to determine if mobo is dead, and I must rebuild, or
>> > some other cause why no POST.
>> >
>> > Suggestions will be much appreciated.

RobF

I had it tested, Dave. It is alive.

Rob

"dave" <nospam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Try another PSU.
>
> DaveL
>

> "RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XgiJh.2928$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks, JAD. " Trade out" means remove from sys props, remove from

puter,
> > install my one old, old backup?
> > "OB" graphics means...?
> > I'll reseat expansion cards.
> > Video not very old - 5 years, no signs of imminent failing before
> > disaster.
> > Beeps: After the change/change back jumper at J2, HDD failed to power,
> > then
> > on third try powered and there might have been a ghost of the case
> > speaker's
> > beep - too faint to be sure. Nothing followed.
> >
> > Your observations much better than the single one from Epox. Tech Rep
> > never
> > there, calls back at least convenient time, has heavy foreign accent.
> > Your further thoughts would be most welcome.
> >

> > "JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:7UgJh.15$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> trade out video card...OB graphics?
> >> reseat all expansions cards
> >> any beeps?
> >>
> >> "RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:OZdJh.13553$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > 2

monitor

RobF

JAD, the capacitors, cylinders projecting up from the board, do not look
damaged.. I have a pci slot for a vid card. Before that, I'll try something
else and report back. Since now that the HDD no longer powers up, I'm
guessing that replacing the agp with a pci card might not effect the desired
POST.

Your observations are excellent and I appreciate the help from you and from
Dave.

Rob

"JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:PQkJh.34$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:XgiJh.2928$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks, JAD. " Trade out" means remove from sys props, remove from

puter,
> > install my one old, old backup?

> see below
>

> > "OB" graphics means...?

> on board or integrated onto the mainboard (you don't i checked)
>
> > I'll reseat expansion cards.
> > Video not very old - 5 years, no signs of imminent failing before
> > disaster.

> so you have an expansion card for video
>
> try a PCI vid card if you can
>
> > Beeps: After the change/change back jumper at J2, HDD failed to power,

then

> This could be a symptom of bad caps and /or Power supply
>
> > on third try powered and there might have been a ghost of the case

speaker's
> > beep - too faint to be sure. Nothing followed.

> Your board is from an era where the mainboards were dying from bad

capacitors
> check for bulging tops or leaking from the capacitors> (silos -cylinders)

coming up from
> the board
>

> > Your observations much better than the single one from Epox. Tech Rep

never
> > there, calls back at least convenient time, has heavy foreign accent.
> > Your further thoughts would be most welcome.
> >

> > "JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:7UgJh.15$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> trade out video card...OB graphics?
> >> reseat all expansions cards
> >> any beeps?
> >>
> >> "RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:OZdJh.13553$(E-Mail Removed)...

pins
> > 2

monitor

or

RobF

The something else (mentioned immediately above) didn't work.
To try to make my previous post somewhat clearer, no power is getting to the
busses; no card would activate.
Part of the something else was that I found I had, unaccountably, stupidly,
changed/rechanged jumpers on j3, not j1, as I'd thought i was doing.
Whatever j3 is, did I make further probs for the puter by that misstep?

Becoming more certain i must to the stores go for components, and rebuild.

Rob

"JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:PQkJh.34$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:XgiJh.2928$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks, JAD. " Trade out" means remove from sys props, remove from

puter,
> > install my one old, old backup?

> see below
>

> > "OB" graphics means...?

> on board or integrated onto the mainboard (you don't i checked)
>
> > I'll reseat expansion cards.
> > Video not very old - 5 years, no signs of imminent failing before
> > disaster.

> so you have an expansion card for video
>
> try a PCI vid card if you can
>
> > Beeps: After the change/change back jumper at J2, HDD failed to power,

then

> This could be a symptom of bad caps and /or Power supply
>
> > on third try powered and there might have been a ghost of the case

speaker's
> > beep - too faint to be sure. Nothing followed.

> Your board is from an era where the mainboards were dying from bad

capacitors
> check for bulging tops or leaking from the capacitors> (silos -cylinders)

coming up from
> the board
>

> > Your observations much better than the single one from Epox. Tech Rep

never
> > there, calls back at least convenient time, has heavy foreign accent.
> > Your further thoughts would be most welcome.
> >

> > "JAD" <john (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:7UgJh.15$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> trade out video card...OB graphics?
> >> reseat all expansions cards
> >> any beeps?
> >>
> >> "RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:OZdJh.13553$(E-Mail Removed)...

pins
> > 2

monitor

or

dave

"RobF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JGCJh.263$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The something else (mentioned immediately above) didn't work.
> To try to make my previous post somewhat clearer, no power is getting to
> the
> busses; no card would activate.
> Part of the something else was that I found I had, unaccountably,
> stupidly,
> changed/rechanged jumpers on j3, not j1, as I'd thought i was doing.
> Whatever j3 is, did I make further probs for the puter by that misstep?
>
> Becoming more certain i must to the stores go for components, and rebuild.
>
> Rob

Not so fast, Rob. Try this.

Put the jumpers back the way they originally were. Disconnect all drives.
Remove all expansion boards except the video card. Then power it up and see
if you get anything.

DaveL

RobF

Thanks for your continued attention and advice, Dave. I'll do that right now
& report back.