A Failing Memory Problem?

Ron

Ever since an unfortunate accident with my laptop, I have been running
Windows 2000 on an old 166 MHz box as a temporary solution. While a
bit sluggish, it worked okay for a long while then started to crash
every once in a while-- usually right after I get on the Internet or
post something, but also on other rare occasions when getting on the
'Net wasn't involved.

I thought it might be aused by running Win2k and switched to NT4.0 but
the problem persisted even with a stable OS like NT4.0 so I then
suspected the then new 80 GB hard drive as a contributing factor. I
had problems with that ever since I first bought it and had returned
it to the vendor for a replacement. The new HD worked suspicously
liked the old one and eventually failed a month or two later. The next
drive I put in was a brand spanking new 64 GB unit that works well,
but I still have the problem of the system inexplicably crashing at
odd times.

The error message-- when I can see it-- is usually something about a
memory dump. So now I have to wonder if maybe getting a new memory
card to add to the system will help solve this problem or there are
still other possible causes? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ron

Arno Wagner

Previously Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ever since an unfortunate accident with my laptop, I have been running
> Windows 2000 on an old 166 MHz box as a temporary solution. While a
> bit sluggish, it worked okay for a long while then started to crash
> every once in a while-- usually right after I get on the Internet or
> post something, but also on other rare occasions when getting on the
> 'Net wasn't involved.

> I thought it might be aused by running Win2k and switched to NT4.0 but
> the problem persisted even with a stable OS like NT4.0 so I then
> suspected the then new 80 GB hard drive as a contributing factor. I
> had problems with that ever since I first bought it and had returned
> it to the vendor for a replacement. The new HD worked suspicously
> liked the old one and eventually failed a month or two later. The next
> drive I put in was a brand spanking new 64 GB unit that works well,
> but I still have the problem of the system inexplicably crashing at
> odd times.

> The error message-- when I can see it-- is usually something about a
> memory dump. So now I have to wonder if maybe getting a new memory
> card to add to the system will help solve this problem or there are
> still other possible causes? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Well, if you get a memory dump, that does not mean the problem is
with the memory. Still, a day or two of memtest86+ might be a good
idea.

Other than that, disks cannot really be kille by anything except the
PSU. and by flaws in the disks themselves (and inadequate cooling,
obviously).

This sounds more like a problem with the mainboard or the CPU to me.

Arno

Hans-Peter Diettrich

Ron schrieb:

> The new HD worked suspicously
> liked the old one and eventually failed a month or two later. The next
> drive I put in was a brand spanking new 64 GB unit that works well,
> but I still have the problem of the system inexplicably crashing at
> odd times.

Why not put in new (and bigger) memory?

DoDi

Arno Wagner

Previously Hans-Peter Diettrich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ron schrieb:

>> The new HD worked suspicously
>> liked the old one and eventually failed a month or two later. The next
>> drive I put in was a brand spanking new 64 GB unit that works well,
>> but I still have the problem of the system inexplicably crashing at
>> odd times.

> Why not put in new (and bigger) memory?

Because this may not help. In the worst case it makes real the
problem more difficult to track down.

Arno

IBM T5240 memory failing geoffrey.falk@gmail.com Sun Hardware 0 02-17-2009 10:01 PM
failing IT7? David Shorthouse Abit 4 01-23-2004 05:54 PM
failing to combine rtl8139 etherboot code into Abit mainboards. Cichecki Witold Abit 0 12-12-2003 10:32 AM
Abit BM6 failing ? Rick Abit 5 11-30-2003 03:02 PM
Windows 98 failing to talk to digital camera/memory stick Mystery Man PC Hardware 0 09-11-2003 11:59 AM