Fan cover removal

Matt

My Graphic card (new GeForce FX 8100) on my Dell Dimension 8100 is
right on the green plastic cover that came mounted around the fan and
the CPU.
I think, that not enough air gets through to my graphic card and I
can't move it because the ACP slot is next to the cover. I'm afraid
that the whole machine will overheat.
Can I remove the green cover to allow the air to flow more freely
around the whole PC without endangering the CPU temperature?

Thx 4 ur help!

Matt

Christopher Muto

if you really need to remove the shroud to accommodate your video card then
you should also replace the heatsink on the processor and replace it with a
heatsink that has an integrated fan.

the green shroud is an integral part of the cooling system for the
processor. if you remove it your processor will run hot and possibly burn
out. your processors has a large heat sink on it that needs a steady flow
of air to run through it to keep things cool. the shroud in conjunction
with the case fan creates the necessary flow of air. without the shroud it
would not work properly. the benefits of this system is the elimination of
a cooling fan connected directly to the processor and therefore the
elimination of the noise of that fan (also the small fans the higher the
speed it is to move the same volume of air, and therefore the noisier...).

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> My Graphic card (new GeForce FX 8100) on my Dell Dimension 8100 is
> right on the green plastic cover that came mounted around the fan and
> the CPU.
> I think, that not enough air gets through to my graphic card and I
> can't move it because the ACP slot is next to the cover. I'm afraid
> that the whole machine will overheat.
> Can I remove the green cover to allow the air to flow more freely
> around the whole PC without endangering the CPU temperature?
>
> Thx 4 ur help!
>
> Matt

The Hedonist

I wouldn't if I were you the green plastic shroud is design to give maximum
airflow over the CPU , is the graphic card an upgrade or did it come with
the system?
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

Tower cover removal Henry Apple 2 02-19-2007 05:36 PM
Vaio PCG-XG29 top cover removal? Gabster Laptops 0 02-09-2005 03:59 PM
hp omnibook XE2 cover removal bobbyz HP 0 01-09-2005 12:14 AM
armada 7792DMT cover removal remove Compaq 0 01-13-2004 06:01 PM
hinge cover removal question marlinspike Laptops 0 08-07-2003 06:57 PM