Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

fan hold down bracket on amd cpu board

 
 
irv
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009, 04:24 AM
i have to go to a friend's house this week and change out the amd cpu fan
hold down bracket since one of the tabs broke off and the fan/heatsink is
loose.

my friend tells me there are plastic pins viewable from the top.
what will i find underneat since i need to get the plastic pins out and
replace the bracket and reuse the pins.
i am hoping that the bottom of the plastic pin is squeezable and the pin can
be nudged up.

am i right?

thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009, 08:59 AM
irv wrote:
> i have to go to a friend's house this week and change out the amd cpu fan
> hold down bracket since one of the tabs broke off and the fan/heatsink is
> loose.
>
> my friend tells me there are plastic pins viewable from the top.
> what will i find underneat since i need to get the plastic pins out and
> replace the bracket and reuse the pins.
> i am hoping that the bottom of the plastic pin is squeezable and the pin can
> be nudged up.
>
> am i right?
>
> thanks
>


Does the motherboard have a model number ? There are pictures around.
For example, Newegg takes pictures of the front and back of the
motherboard. A number of Asus boards appear to be using screws and
a backplate. (I picked a picture of a Gigabyte board, because it
happened to be a bit clearer.)

Example of AM2 screws.
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-383-S03?$S640W$

Example of AM2 backplate.
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-383-S04?$S640W$

Things like the Northbridge, might use a plastic pin that expands
on the back. Those can be squeezed and pushed out, and reused if
you're careful. The biggest exposure with those, is the pliers
slipping and cutting a copper track. There must be a proper tool
for compressing them, but I haven't seen one.

As far as replacement goes, a typical scenario is the user has
an Arctic Cooling CPU cooler, with a three tab clip on each end
of the mechanism. And the plastic retention bracket has one tab
and only one tab engages. Since all the forces are now on one
tab, instead of three, the tab snaps off. If a new plastic retention
bracket is fitted, there is every chance the same thing will happen
again. I've seen replacement retention brackets for sale, and they're
not all designed the same. So it may be possible to find one with
three tabs, or you could change out the cooler for another design
style.

This S939 appears to have two screws.

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/asus/a...luxe/board.jpg

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jim E
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009, 09:26 AM
use a flatbed screwdriver to lever out the pins and watch where they go as
they go flying!

they can be reused no problem!


"irv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KR0tl.17969$(E-Mail Removed)...
>i have to go to a friend's house this week and change out the amd cpu fan
>hold down bracket since one of the tabs broke off and the fan/heatsink is
>loose.
>
> my friend tells me there are plastic pins viewable from the top.
> what will i find underneat since i need to get the plastic pins out and
> replace the bracket and reuse the pins.
> i am hoping that the bottom of the plastic pin is squeezable and the pin
> can be nudged up.
>
> am i right?
>
> thanks
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
irv
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-10-2009, 03:13 AM
actually, i don't think it is an asus board but i figure that most amd
brackets arte the same.
except for the one you pointed me to which has actual screws.
i'll play with it later in the week.

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gp2lq8$9vi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> irv wrote:
>> i have to go to a friend's house this week and change out the amd cpu fan
>> hold down bracket since one of the tabs broke off and the fan/heatsink is
>> loose.
>>
>> my friend tells me there are plastic pins viewable from the top.
>> what will i find underneat since i need to get the plastic pins out and
>> replace the bracket and reuse the pins.
>> i am hoping that the bottom of the plastic pin is squeezable and the pin
>> can be nudged up.
>>
>> am i right?
>>
>> thanks

>
> Does the motherboard have a model number ? There are pictures around.
> For example, Newegg takes pictures of the front and back of the
> motherboard. A number of Asus boards appear to be using screws and
> a backplate. (I picked a picture of a Gigabyte board, because it
> happened to be a bit clearer.)
>
> Example of AM2 screws.
> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-383-S03?$S640W$
>
> Example of AM2 backplate.
> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-383-S04?$S640W$
>
> Things like the Northbridge, might use a plastic pin that expands
> on the back. Those can be squeezed and pushed out, and reused if
> you're careful. The biggest exposure with those, is the pliers
> slipping and cutting a copper track. There must be a proper tool
> for compressing them, but I haven't seen one.
>
> As far as replacement goes, a typical scenario is the user has
> an Arctic Cooling CPU cooler, with a three tab clip on each end
> of the mechanism. And the plastic retention bracket has one tab
> and only one tab engages. Since all the forces are now on one
> tab, instead of three, the tab snaps off. If a new plastic retention
> bracket is fitted, there is every chance the same thing will happen
> again. I've seen replacement retention brackets for sale, and they're
> not all designed the same. So it may be possible to find one with
> three tabs, or you could change out the cooler for another design
> style.
>
> This S939 appears to have two screws.
>
> http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/asus/a...luxe/board.jpg
>
> Paul



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-10-2009, 05:00 AM
irv wrote:
> actually, i don't think it is an asus board but i figure that most amd
> brackets arte the same.
> except for the one you pointed me to which has actual screws.
> i'll play with it later in the week.
>


There are plenty of pictures on Newegg, so before you head over to
your friend's place, you could easily find a picture of it. Then
you'll know what tools to bring. If the tab is busted, then you
still have to find a replacement retention bracket as well, and
the supply of those will vary (some good replacement kits, no
longer available etc). A bolt thru kit and new heatsink, is another
possible solution, depending on how prepared you want to be,
before visiting your friend. But to do something like that, you'd
really need to look at the pictures of the motherboard carefully,
to decide whether a bolt-thru setup would work.

Thermalright Ultra 120 (see AM2 installation section).
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...120ex.html#am2

Picture showing bolt-thru installation in place for heatsink. No
retention bracket is used with this cooler. The bolts do the
job, using the holes already present in the motherboard. Some
bolt-thru threads can be easily stripped, so you want to
read the reviews before making a purchase.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...n/image025.jpg

A separately purchased backplate (if one isn't available), is
used to take the bolts. A downside with the thermalright stuff,
is getting all the bits and pieces together.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/am2bowiscsp.html

When using a backplate, you want to check a picture of the
back of the motherboard, for any obstructions which might
prevent a backplate from being used.

So there are other options, depending on your budget, and
how cheap/easy it is to visit your friend once or twice. For
example, if I was doing a repair back home, I'd prep
everything I needed, before hopping in the car for the
long drive.

On my current LGA775 motherboard, I use a bolt-thru heatsink,
specifically so there would be no plastic in my install. You
can drop my PC out a second story window - the PC might be
ruined, but the heatsink will still be clamped to the CPU :-)
It is pretty hard to take apart though, so most people would
hate the thing. Mine fastens from the back, which is a big
mistake.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
irv
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Paul

wow!
thanks for all the links.
the pix are certainly intertesting.
i wonder what hold down bracket is underneath the motherboard.

i did get a new plastic retention bracket from an ebay vendor.
i am planning on taking the board out and then removing the plastic pin
inserts and then the plastic pins and reverse the process using the new
retention bracket.
i would rather replace the plastic pins with screws, lock washers and nuts
but can't figure out what thread/length to get.
the pictures show a weirdly threaded screw that i couldn't hope to find so i
will plan on reusing the existing plastic pins.

the chip was the amd 6000+ which uses a bigger heatsink/fan so i hope the
new retention bracket is up to the task.

should be an interesting project.
very little on this topic on a google search.
we tried marine epoxy but it didn't hold the first time.
i don't know if my friend tried it again.
no other solutions other than changing the retention bracket.

thanks for the help.
"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gp4s5j$t8a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> irv wrote:
>> actually, i don't think it is an asus board but i figure that most amd
>> brackets are the same.
>> except for the one you pointed me to which has actual screws.
>> i'll play with it later in the week.
>>

>
> There are plenty of pictures on Newegg, so before you head over to
> your friend's place, you could easily find a picture of it. Then
> you'll know what tools to bring. If the tab is busted, then you
> still have to find a replacement retention bracket as well, and
> the supply of those will vary (some good replacement kits, no
> longer available etc). A bolt thru kit and new heatsink, is another
> possible solution, depending on how prepared you want to be,
> before visiting your friend. But to do something like that, you'd
> really need to look at the pictures of the motherboard carefully,
> to decide whether a bolt-thru setup would work.
>
> Thermalright Ultra 120 (see AM2 installation section).
> http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...120ex.html#am2
>
> Picture showing bolt-thru installation in place for heatsink. No
> retention bracket is used with this cooler. The bolts do the
> job, using the holes already present in the motherboard. Some
> bolt-thru threads can be easily stripped, so you want to
> read the reviews before making a purchase.
>
> http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...n/image025.jpg
>
> A separately purchased backplate (if one isn't available), is
> used to take the bolts. A downside with the thermalright stuff,
> is getting all the bits and pieces together.
>
> http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/am2bowiscsp.html
>
> When using a backplate, you want to check a picture of the
> back of the motherboard, for any obstructions which might
> prevent a backplate from being used.
>
> So there are other options, depending on your budget, and
> how cheap/easy it is to visit your friend once or twice. For
> example, if I was doing a repair back home, I'd prep
> everything I needed, before hopping in the car for the
> long drive.
>
> On my current LGA775 motherboard, I use a bolt-thru heatsink,
> specifically so there would be no plastic in my install. You
> can drop my PC out a second story window - the PC might be
> ruined, but the heatsink will still be clamped to the CPU :-)
> It is pretty hard to take apart though, so most people would
> hate the thing. Mine fastens from the back, which is a big
> mistake.
>
> Paul



 
Reply With Quote
 
irv
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
so it turned out that the original bracket holes were slightly oblong and
the new bracket holes were round.
thus the pins which were oblong would not expand properly when exiting the
holes in the board and i could not insert the 2nd pin into the middle of the
1st pin..
so it was off to home depot where we bought some 12-24 x 3/4" bolts and
nuts and some reall small lockwashers that barely encircled the nuts.
i then reassembled everything with lockwashers on top and bottom.
it was good that i had the lockwashers since the bolts might have shorted
some traces while the lockwashers were not that big.
the nuts do not touch the board.

now, my issue is that after letting the amd cpu temps get so high as to shut
down the computer on many occasions, the chip new seems to be running hot -
like in the 50's and 60's which is too warm although still in spec.
another motherboard i have with the same cpu runs 30-35 degrees so there is
quite the difference.

is it possible that overheating the chip several times now means it runs
hotter on a permanent basis.
i need to get back to my friend's house and take the thing apart again and
use some artic silver and perhaps add a front case fan.
no room for a rear case fan.
gotta get the temp donw or it will be off to get a new cpu.


"Jim E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3h5tl.23398$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> use a flatbed screwdriver to lever out the pins and watch where they go as
> they go flying!
>
> they can be reused no problem!
>
>
> "irv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KR0tl.17969$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>i have to go to a friend's house this week and change out the amd cpu fan
>>hold down bracket since one of the tabs broke off and the fan/heatsink is
>>loose.
>>
>> my friend tells me there are plastic pins viewable from the top.
>> what will i find underneat since i need to get the plastic pins out and
>> replace the bracket and reuse the pins.
>> i am hoping that the bottom of the plastic pin is squeezable and the pin
>> can be nudged up.
>>
>> am i right?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
delete button on my ibook only works when hold down alt or ctrl or shift. HELP tarheelalum@gmail.com Apple 2 11-05-2006 11:52 PM
Broke my Memory hold down connector Gary Asus 2 11-18-2005 09:16 AM
AMD Barton VS Amd 64 Bit for High Definition Video how much better is a AMD 64 CPU ?? Son Of Sheep. Abit 2 07-14-2005 09:16 PM
Anyone got some pics of this fan installed Zalman ZL-FB123, Fan and bracket, 92mm. We Live For The One We Die For The One AMD Overclocking 0 05-10-2004 06:15 PM
Anyone got some pics of this fan installed Zalman ZL-FB123, Fan and bracket, 92mm. We Live For The One We Die For The One Overclocking 0 05-10-2004 06:15 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment