Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Fan speed during POST

 
 
Kiran Kumar Kamineni
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Has anybody seen the following effect?

When the system boots up, the fan speed of my BFG 6800 OC is high and it
slows down when windows boots up and I get the Login screen (noticable with
the sudden decrease in noise).

Whats causing this sudden slow down??


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ragamuffin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Have a gander at this
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...tra2400_4.html
different card but you get the idea, once your settings kick in for the
forceware drivers the fan slows down.


"Kiran Kumar Kamineni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gBv2e.2504$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anybody seen the following effect?
>
> When the system boots up, the fan speed of my BFG 6800 OC is high and it
> slows down when windows boots up and I get the Login screen (noticable
> with the sudden decrease in noise).
>
> Whats causing this sudden slow down??
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Folk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2005, 05:23 PM
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:56:12 GMT, "Kiran Kumar Kamineni"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anybody seen the following effect?
>
>When the system boots up, the fan speed of my BFG 6800 OC is high and it
>slows down when windows boots up and I get the Login screen (noticable with
>the sudden decrease in noise).
>
>Whats causing this sudden slow down??


I get that too.

I always assumed it was a power supply sag caused by the vid card
going into "performance" mode. It seems as if *all* of my fans slow
down once the vid card starts pulling extra juice, but maybe it is
just the vid card fan... hard to tell with fan noise. It happens as
soon as the GUI appears on boot. At first I thought it was a power
supply problem, but it happens with two different high-quality power
supplies.

My vid card (eVGA 6800 GT) doesn't advertise any special fan control
capability, and there's no background software or service running that
would cause the slowdown of the fan. It slows down once the GUI
appears, and speeds up during the boot process. The fan speed never
changes during intense 3D activity. Only at boot.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Canopus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2005, 06:30 PM

"Folk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:56:12 GMT, "Kiran Kumar Kamineni"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Has anybody seen the following effect?
> >
> >When the system boots up, the fan speed of my BFG 6800 OC is high and it
> >slows down when windows boots up and I get the Login screen (noticable

with
> >the sudden decrease in noise).
> >
> >Whats causing this sudden slow down??

>
> I get that too.
>
> I always assumed it was a power supply sag caused by the vid card
> going into "performance" mode. It seems as if *all* of my fans slow
> down once the vid card starts pulling extra juice, but maybe it is
> just the vid card fan... hard to tell with fan noise. It happens as
> soon as the GUI appears on boot. At first I thought it was a power
> supply problem, but it happens with two different high-quality power
> supplies.
>
> My vid card (eVGA 6800 GT) doesn't advertise any special fan control
> capability, and there's no background software or service running that
> would cause the slowdown of the fan. It slows down once the GUI
> appears, and speeds up during the boot process. The fan speed never
> changes during intense 3D activity. Only at boot.
>
>


Same here. I couldn't figure it out for a while as I had never heard it
before, but, I had a new power supply with a variable speed fan installed
whereas before it was a single speed fan. Immediately prior to the fan
slowing down I hear six clicks which I had thought was drive heads so
thought the sound of something slowing down was to do with a drive, but, a
mate told me the PS fan runs at full speed up to a certain point in the boot
sequence. I had never thought it was when the GUI appeared, learn something
every day.

Rob


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Hancock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2005, 04:49 AM
Kiran Kumar Kamineni wrote:
> Has anybody seen the following effect?
>
> When the system boots up, the fan speed of my BFG 6800 OC is high and it
> slows down when windows boots up and I get the Login screen (noticable with
> the sudden decrease in noise).
>
> Whats causing this sudden slow down??
>
>


Likely it defaults to high speed on bootup as a fail-safe but when the
driver loads it reduces the fan speed..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from (E-Mail Removed)
Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Wheeler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2005, 06:25 AM
The fan speed is driver controlled therefore the fan runs at maximum speed
until the driver initialises and takes control.


"Robert Hancock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:xjL2e.858824$8l.475305@pd7tw1no...
> Kiran Kumar Kamineni wrote:
>> Has anybody seen the following effect?
>>
>> When the system boots up, the fan speed of my BFG 6800 OC is high and it
>> slows down when windows boots up and I get the Login screen (noticable
>> with the sudden decrease in noise).
>>
>> Whats causing this sudden slow down??

>
> Likely it defaults to high speed on bootup as a fail-safe but when the
> driver loads it reduces the fan speed..
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from (E-Mail Removed)
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/



 
Reply With Quote
 
Folk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2005, 05:30 PM
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 06:25:52 GMT, "Matthew Wheeler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The fan speed is driver controlled therefore the fan runs at maximum speed
>until the driver initialises and takes control.


If the fan speed is driver controlled, why doesn't the fan speed
change once the driver initializes? My 6800 GT *never* changes fan
speed once I've booted into the OS, no matter how much I punish it
during heavy 3D processing. There are only a few high-end cards that
advertise the capability to alter fan speed, and those are the ones
with those big-assed fans that take up two slots.

So why would it slow down when it boots to the OS and then stay that
way until you reboot, regardless of the onboard temps? Doesn't make
sense.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK TIP layout during startup and US TIP layout during normal use stan Tablet PC 4 08-04-2005 12:15 AM
Fan speed during POST Kiran Kumar Kamineni Nvidia 7 04-01-2005 05:30 PM
Abit IS7 problems during post (need info on meaning of beeps and LED) James Abit 1 04-01-2005 02:05 AM
VI7 memory errors during post Karin Bosselman Abit 0 06-06-2004 01:25 AM
NF7 hangs during POST with BusLogic SCSI controller Kevin J. Cummings Abit 1 03-06-2004 04:12 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment