Fans, Drives Spin Up, No Boot

Robbert Haarman

I have a problem with some recently acquired PC parts. The symptoms
are that when I press the power button, the fans and drives spin up,
but there's no video and no beeps, and nothing indicating a normal
boot. I have this problem with three CPUs (two AMD Athlon XP 1600+en
that might be broken, and one brand new AMD Duron 1600) ate two
motherboards; one MSI K7T266 Pro2 Ver3 and one MSI K7T Pro ver 1.0.
The video card works in my other system. I tried two different RAM
chips, both PC2700 DDR and brand new. Tried 2 different cases and 3
different power supplies (235W, 300W and 350W, each one verified to
work).

I am running out of ideas, can anyone offer any clues?

-- Bob

---
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose
from."
-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Noc

First, make sure you have the connectors from the case to the
motherboard properly installed. 2nd take all hardware out of the
case, the only thing that should be in there is motherboard, memory
and processor. Don't even have a video card in. Power up the
machine. If you hear a beep then your motherboard has succesfully
posted. If not, it may give a series of beeps. These are error
codes, refer to your motherboard manual to figure out the cause. If
you still get no post at that point, try different RAM. Different
motherboard, and different processor. It sounds like you have tried
all of these things. The only thing I could think of that could be
wrong is that the case leads are not properly connected to your
motherboard. It's also possible your power supply is not properly
connected. This may seem obvious, but your power supply should only
connect to the motherboard in 1 place, the one large connector. Hope
this helps.

(E-Mail Removed) (Robbert Haarman) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I have a problem with some recently acquired PC parts. The symptoms
> are that when I press the power button, the fans and drives spin up,
> but there's no video and no beeps, and nothing indicating a normal
> boot. I have this problem with three CPUs (two AMD Athlon XP 1600+en
> that might be broken, and one brand new AMD Duron 1600) ate two
> motherboards; one MSI K7T266 Pro2 Ver3 and one MSI K7T Pro ver 1.0.
> The video card works in my other system. I tried two different RAM
> chips, both PC2700 DDR and brand new. Tried 2 different cases and 3
> different power supplies (235W, 300W and 350W, each one verified to
> work).
>
> I am running out of ideas, can anyone offer any clues?
>
> -- Bob
>
> ---
> "The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose
> from."
> -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Robbert Haarman

Following up to my earlier post, I read somewhere that the motherboard
may not support my CPU. The Duron I have is most likely an Applebred
core, does anyone know if the MSI K7T266 Pro2 supports that? The
vendor's website doesn't mention it, and they have been slow replying
to email.

---
"And don't tell me there isn't one bit of difference between null and
space, because that's exactly how much difference there is."
-- Larry Wall