Fans/Hard Drives/Dvd Drives power up but no display. -.-

wcperryman@gmail.com

Okay. So I'm gonna start of by posting my system specs.

Asus P4V8X-MX Motherboard

512mb of Ram (2x256)

2.66 Ghz Pentium 4 Proccesor

XFX Geforce 6200 video card.

Ok. So I came home one night last week and went to my computer and
realized that it was off. I thought it was odd since I left it on when
I left that morning. So I hit the button to turn it on and nothing
happened. So, I opened it up and saw that my home wired power switch
had come unwired. So, thinking it was just a result of my kicking the
computer or something, I rewired the switch no big deal. Hit the switch
to turn it on and still nothing. Starting to get ****ed I went and got
another power supply and plugged it in and this time the computer
turned on but nothing came on the display. Nothing at all. Does it look
like my mobo is fried or maybe theres something loose. Any ideas would
help. Thanks.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Okay. So I'm gonna start of by posting my system specs.
>
> Asus P4V8X-MX Motherboard
>
> 512mb of Ram (2x256)
>
> 2.66 Ghz Pentium 4 Proccesor
>
> XFX Geforce 6200 video card.
>
> Ok. So I came home one night last week and went to my computer and
> realized that it was off. I thought it was odd since I left it on when
> I left that morning. So I hit the button to turn it on and nothing
> happened. So, I opened it up and saw that my home wired power switch
> had come unwired. So, thinking it was just a result of my kicking the
> computer or something, I rewired the switch no big deal. Hit the switch
> to turn it on and still nothing. Starting to get ****ed I went and got
> another power supply and plugged it in and this time the computer
> turned on but nothing came on the display. Nothing at all. Does it look
> like my mobo is fried or maybe theres something loose. Any ideas would
> help. Thanks.

You could try a bit more testing. Unplug the computer before adding
or removing any hardware. Remove the RAM and the video card. Fire
up the machine. Does it beep ? If it does, the processor has been
able to execute a bit of BIOS code. If it doesn't beep, then processor,
motherboard, or power supply are faulty. Since the replacement power
supply has managed to run the fans, it suggests the replacement
supply is not faulty. So, if you get no beeps, that leaves processor
or motherboard. Motherboards probably fail more often than processors,
so if you get no beeps, it could be a warranty repair for the
motherboard.

It could be the power supply died, and took out the motherboard.
Does the power supply have a burnt smell ?

What was the weather like in your location today ? Were there
any lightning storms ? Are any other appliances damaged ?

Paul

DaveW

Sounds like either your PSU or motherboard has failed. The easiest thing to
try first is to replace the PSU with a known working one.

--
DaveW

----------------
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Okay. So I'm gonna start of by posting my system specs.
>
> Asus P4V8X-MX Motherboard
>
> 512mb of Ram (2x256)
>
> 2.66 Ghz Pentium 4 Proccesor
>
> XFX Geforce 6200 video card.
>
> Ok. So I came home one night last week and went to my computer and
> realized that it was off. I thought it was odd since I left it on when
> I left that morning. So I hit the button to turn it on and nothing
> happened. So, I opened it up and saw that my home wired power switch
> had come unwired. So, thinking it was just a result of my kicking the
> computer or something, I rewired the switch no big deal. Hit the switch
> to turn it on and still nothing. Starting to get ****ed I went and got
> another power supply and plugged it in and this time the computer
> turned on but nothing came on the display. Nothing at all. Does it look
> like my mobo is fried or maybe theres something loose. Any ideas would
> help. Thanks.

wcperryman@gmail.com

I think the motherboard got fried. I tested it with known working PSU
and nothing happened still no beeps, nothing. BTW the PSU that I've
been using doesn't fire up at all. All it does is turn the standby
light on. It hasn't really worked good for awhile. Everytime I pluged
network cable in to the onboard network card the standby light went
dim. But anyways, I didn't have it in a surge protector for some
reason that day so I think it got zapped. -.-. I sent it off today for
a replacement (I hope). I will probably test the CPU tommorrow. (That's
safe isn't it.) And I'm going to buy a new case with a new PSU pretty
soon because the case I have now is a crappy old dell case that doesn't
let the motherboard sit right for some reason.

wcperryman@gmail.com

I think the motherboard got fried. I tested it with known working PSU
and nothing happened still no beeps, just the fans and stuff. BTW the
PSU that I have been using in the case doesn't fire up at all. All it
does is turn the standby light on. It hasn't really worked good for
awhile. Everytime I plugged a network cable in to the onboard network
card the standby light went dim. But anyways, I didn't have it in a
surge protector for some reason that day so I think it got zapped. -.-.
I sent it off today for a replacement (I hope). I will probably test
the CPU tommorrow. (That's safe isn't it.) And I'm going to buy a new
case with a new PSU pretty soon because the case I have now is a crappy
old dell case that doesn't let the motherboard sit right for some
reason.

Major Ninth

since you have a dell case I'm assuming you used a dell power supply to
test. You do know that they have different cable pinouts from the standard
ones?

-john

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I think the motherboard got fried. I tested it with known working PSU
> and nothing happened still no beeps, nothing. BTW the PSU that I've
> been using doesn't fire up at all. All it does is turn the standby
> light on. It hasn't really worked good for awhile. Everytime I pluged
> network cable in to the onboard network card the standby light went
> dim. But anyways, I didn't have it in a surge protector for some
> reason that day so I think it got zapped. -.-. I sent it off today for
> a replacement (I hope). I will probably test the CPU tommorrow. (That's
> safe isn't it.) And I'm going to buy a new case with a new PSU pretty
> soon because the case I have now is a crappy old dell case that doesn't
> let the motherboard sit right for some reason.

wcperryman@gmail.com

The Dell power supply is the one that I've been using that doesn't
work anymore. I tested with 3 different 250 watt power supplies. One
that is without a doubt good that I use in another computer. The other
two were older but I'm pretty sure they still work.

Michael W. Ryder

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> The Dell power supply is the one that I've been using that doesn't
> work anymore. I tested with 3 different 250 watt power supplies. One
> that is without a doubt good that I use in another computer. The other
> two were older but I'm pretty sure they still work.

Not all Dell computers can use power supplies from non-Dell computers.
They use the same connectors but the wiring is different. Using a
standard power supply with a Dell motherboard may not work and may
damage the motherboard and components. The best way to find out if your
computer uses the proprietary power supply is to go to
pcpowerandcooling.com and use their Dell power supply selector. From
there you can find out if you use a standard power supply or a Dell
specific brand. If your computer uses the Dell wiring you can purchase
an adapter to allow you to use a standard power supply with the mother
board.

mike6

you wiped out the bois chip . call asus tech support they can send you
a new one . that should get you up and running.