Fastest AMD K6-2 useable on P5MMS98?

John

I'm still using a system I built in 1998 with a P5MMS98 MB, a 200MHz
Pentium and 256MB of RAM. The system runs Windows XP adequately but I'm
looking to see if I can kick it up a notch by switching the processor to
a K6.

The Supermicro website indicates the fastest K6 that can be used is a
333 with the bus frequency set at 66 MHz. I can get a 500 for $17 and
would like to use that. However, it appears that the fastest bus
frequency available on the P5MMS98 is 75 MHz, which would run the 500
chip at only 375 MHz. Is this correct, or is there a jumper setting that
will increase the bus speed to 100 MHz?

Any information on maximizing the performance of the P5MMS98 with a
faster processor would be appreciated. Thanks!

John
--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.

Peter Schmit

I believe late K6-2's had a feature built in that allowed a x6 multiplier
when the x2 multiplier was used. Make sure the motherboard can supply the
correct voltage. I have a K6-III+ with a 100MHz bus that allows a full
600MHz.

> I'm still using a system I built in 1998 with a P5MMS98 MB, a 200MHz
> Pentium and 256MB of RAM. The system runs Windows XP adequately but I'm
> looking to see if I can kick it up a notch by switching the processor to
> a K6.
>
> The Supermicro website indicates the fastest K6 that can be used is a
> 333 with the bus frequency set at 66 MHz. I can get a 500 for $17 and
> would like to use that. However, it appears that the fastest bus
> frequency available on the P5MMS98 is 75 MHz, which would run the 500
> chip at only 375 MHz. Is this correct, or is there a jumper setting that
> will increase the bus speed to 100 MHz?
>
> Any information on maximizing the performance of the P5MMS98 with a
> faster processor would be appreciated. Thanks!
>
> John
> --
> Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
> email address to prevent spam. Thank you.

taifuun

Probably you can get some info from searching overclocking
www-FAQ-discussion, etc. archives