Fastest supported CPU for PVMM2 Version 5.0A

Sam

I have a 1.8 GP4 Celeron and 700+MB of Ram in this board and I was
wondering what is the fastes CPU (NON OVERCLOCKED) this board will
support?

Thanks

tcsenter

I could find no CPU support info for 5.0A version of this board, all I
could find was BIOS and manual. Based on my experience with this model
(but not your version), I believe you would have no problem using up to
Pentium 4 2.8GHz 533MHz (Northwood) or Celeron 2.8GHz. No Prescott or
Celeron D support.

Sam

Is this P4 2.8 (Northwood) still made or do I have to get a used one?
How can I tell if it is a Northwood?

"tcsenter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
:I could find no CPU support info for 5.0A version of this board, all I
: could find was BIOS and manual. Based on my experience with this model
: (but not your version), I believe you would have no problem using up to
: Pentium 4 2.8GHz 533MHz (Northwood) or Celeron 2.8GHz. No Prescott or
: Celeron D support.
:

tcsenter

>>Is this P4 2.8 (Northwood) still made or do I have to get a used one? How can I tell if it is a Northwood?<<

I doubt the 2.8 NW is still in production, but I suspect there is still
an inventory of new processors out there. Northwood will have 533MHz
processor bus and 512KB L2 cache. If the processor has 1MB L2 cache,
it is a Prescott and is not supported.

There are 800MHz Northwoods available, too, but your board will only
support up to 533MHz processor bus.

tcsenter

I would add, it is possible your board can support as high as 3.06GHz
Northwood in 533MHz, but I am not nearly as confident that your board
will support the 3.06GHz. Not enough to say 'go ahead'.

Sam

"tcsenter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...:
: I doubt the 2.8 NW is still in production, but I suspect there is still
: an inventory of new processors out there. Northwood will have 533MHz
: processor bus and 512KB L2 cache. If the processor has 1MB L2 cache,
: it is a Prescott and is not supported.
:
: There are 800MHz Northwoods available, too, but your board will only
: support up to 533MHz processor bus.

You sure know your stuff.
I just got an email back from ECS and you're right, 512KB L2. I cant
find any new CPU's around. I also tried to add an AGP video card onto
the board. The onboard video kicks in. I regret buying the extra memory
(512 MB PC3200-200MHZ) last spring for this board. Not sure what I
should do now.

Brian Campbell

You are not that bad off. You just need a new CPU and MB. The newest AMD
chips love your memory. You need a new motherboard, but if you shop
carefully, you can get a cpu and MB for the price you would have to pay
for a 2.4 ghz Intel, and it would be much faster to boot!

Sam
((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

: "tcsenter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...:
: : I doubt the 2.8 NW is still in production, but I suspect there is still
: : an inventory of new processors out there. Northwood will have 533MHz
: : processor bus and 512KB L2 cache. If the processor has 1MB L2 cache,
: : it is a Prescott and is not supported.
: :
: : There are 800MHz Northwoods available, too, but your board will only
: : support up to 533MHz processor bus.

: You sure know your stuff.
: I just got an email back from ECS and you're right, 512KB L2. I cant
: find any new CPU's around. I also tried to add an AGP video card onto
: the board. The onboard video kicks in. I regret buying the extra memory
: (512 MB PC3200-200MHZ) last spring for this board. Not sure what I
: should do now.

Sam

Hmm. Which current MB and AMD processor would work with my memory? I
want something faster than a Celeron for multimedia applications.

"Brian Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dil59o$4f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
: You are not that bad off. You just need a new CPU and MB. The newest
AMD
: chips love your memory. You need a new motherboard, but if you shop
: carefully, you can get a cpu and MB for the price you would have to pay
: for a 2.4 ghz Intel, and it would be much faster to boot!
:

robm

are you looking to stay with ECS brand MB ?
looking to go cheap ? are you interested in OC'ing ?

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hmm. Which current MB and AMD processor would work with my memory? I
> want something faster than a Celeron for multimedia applications.
>
> "Brian Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dil59o$4f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> : You are not that bad off. You just need a new CPU and MB. The newest
> AMD
> : chips love your memory. You need a new motherboard, but if you shop
> : carefully, you can get a cpu and MB for the price you would have to pay
> : for a 2.4 ghz Intel, and it would be much faster to boot!
> :

tcsenter

>>Hmm. Which current MB and AMD processor would work with my memory? I want something faster than a Celeron for multimedia applications.<<

I just finished rebuilding a friend's computer that had a lowly Duron
1300 and way-old KM133 mainboard, 256MB PC133 memory, integrated
graphics, and 6.8GB 5400RPM HDD manufactured in 1999. I upgraded to an
ECS KT600-A mainboard, 512MB PC2700, 40GB 7200RPM HDD, and ATI Radeon
9200SE 64MB AGP, using the onboard audio and LAN. I stuck the old
Duron 1300 back in, and when paired with these newer components, the
difference in performance is like night and day.

The moral of this story is, there are several potential performance
bottlenecks in any system. Removing just one or two of the biggest
bottlenecks, while retaining other components, can make a real
difference. I have had several clients very satisfied with the
increase in performance and responsiveness just by replacing an older
5400RPM hard drive with a new 7200RPM (8MB buffer) drive, even with a
low-end processor.

Upgrading your motherboard, using your new PC3200 memory, but keeping
your Celeron, might prove adequate. The new Celeron D processors are
good performers for the money.

Supported cpu's for P4B533-E Franky Asus 3 05-10-2004 11:20 PM
Fastest way to determine OS version at the command line? G.T. Apple 1 03-06-2004 05:12 AM
Fastest proc supported on GA-7VAX ? singha_lvr Gigabyte 3 02-02-2004 02:02 PM
KT7 - highest cpu supported? Iwan Abit 1 01-07-2004 07:53 PM
Fastest processor supported by the 6BDU Bob Chaintech 0 09-04-2003 10:23 AM