the fastest way to take notes using OneNote

Mike

Hi all,

I am not sure if I can post questions about OneNote and generally
note-taking as one part of student life here.

If you know a more focused group/forum/list talking about OneNote and
notetaking softwares, please let me know...

My question is:

Is there a notetaking software that supports the following feature?

When I read e-books (in pdf) on computer, I use markers/highlighters to mark
important portions.

And then once I finish reading the book, by clicking a button I will be able
to have all the marked portions (including text and graphs) all extracted
out from the pdf file and put into a seperate pdf(or other format) file, and
then the newly extracted book becomes a condensed version of the old book
and a review-sheet with all the important points outlined.

Can OneNote do this? Or any other software?

I found it's increasing needed to create a marked-outline of those important
portions of the books that I've read.

Currently I am doing this by hand. It is extremely tedious.

I have to copy the screen, and extract a portion as a bitmap, and then paste
into a WORD file.

But placing bitmaps into WORD file in a nice way isn't easy - it's very
tricky to layout bitmaps after bitmaps.

If there is no software/automatic solutions, any easier /more convinient
solutions for the manual side?

Thanks

Chris H

The microsoft.public.onenote, where the program is supported by the OneNote
MVPs, is a good place for your questions. As for your annotating PDF file,
you really need to bug Adobe because they're the ones dragging their feet
with Ink support in their programs. If you do a quick search on the
Internet you'll find quite a few programs which claim to have these
functions, so the choice would be up to you.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I am not sure if I can post questions about OneNote and generally
> note-taking as one part of student life here.
>
> If you know a more focused group/forum/list talking about OneNote and
> notetaking softwares, please let me know...
>
> My question is:
>
> Is there a notetaking software that supports the following feature?
>
> When I read e-books (in pdf) on computer, I use markers/highlighters to
> mark important portions.
>
> And then once I finish reading the book, by clicking a button I will be
> able to have all the marked portions (including text and graphs) all
> extracted out from the pdf file and put into a seperate pdf(or other
> format) file, and then the newly extracted book becomes a condensed
> version of the old book and a review-sheet with all the important points
> outlined.
>
> Can OneNote do this? Or any other software?
>
> I found it's increasing needed to create a marked-outline of those
> important portions of the books that I've read.
>
> Currently I am doing this by hand. It is extremely tedious.
>
> I have to copy the screen, and extract a portion as a bitmap, and then
> paste into a WORD file.
>
> But placing bitmaps into WORD file in a nice way isn't easy - it's very
> tricky to layout bitmaps after bitmaps.
>
> If there is no software/automatic solutions, any easier /more convinient
> solutions for the manual side?
>
> Thanks

Mike

What are the search key words you used?
I searched a lot but couldn't find any software with the feature of not only
annotating the PDF, but also extract out them to be a condensed version.

"Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The microsoft.public.onenote, where the program is supported by the
> OneNote MVPs, is a good place for your questions. As for your annotating
> PDF file, you really need to bug Adobe because they're the ones dragging
> their feet with Ink support in their programs. If you do a quick search
> on the Internet you'll find quite a few programs which claim to have these
> functions, so the choice would be up to you.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
> Associate Expert

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am not sure if I can post questions about OneNote and generally
>> note-taking as one part of student life here.
>>
>> If you know a more focused group/forum/list talking about OneNote and
>> notetaking softwares, please let me know...
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> Is there a notetaking software that supports the following feature?
>>
>> When I read e-books (in pdf) on computer, I use markers/highlighters to
>> mark important portions.
>>
>> And then once I finish reading the book, by clicking a button I will be
>> able to have all the marked portions (including text and graphs) all
>> extracted out from the pdf file and put into a seperate pdf(or other
>> format) file, and then the newly extracted book becomes a condensed
>> version of the old book and a review-sheet with all the important points
>> outlined.
>>
>> Can OneNote do this? Or any other software?
>>
>> I found it's increasing needed to create a marked-outline of those
>> important portions of the books that I've read.
>>
>> Currently I am doing this by hand. It is extremely tedious.
>>
>> I have to copy the screen, and extract a portion as a bitmap, and then
>> paste into a WORD file.
>>
>> But placing bitmaps into WORD file in a nice way isn't easy - it's very
>> tricky to layout bitmaps after bitmaps.
>>
>> If there is no software/automatic solutions, any easier /more convinient
>> solutions for the manual side?
>>
>> Thanks

Chris H

One that really stands out is "PDF annotator" -
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...or&btnG=Search
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
Associate Expert

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are the search key words you used?
> I searched a lot but couldn't find any software with the feature of not
> only annotating the PDF, but also extract out them to be a condensed
> version.
>
> "Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The microsoft.public.onenote, where the program is supported by the
>> OneNote MVPs, is a good place for your questions. As for your annotating
>> PDF file, you really need to bug Adobe because they're the ones dragging
>> their feet with Ink support in their programs. If you do a quick search
>> on the Internet you'll find quite a few programs which claim to have
>> these functions, so the choice would be up to you.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am not sure if I can post questions about OneNote and generally
>>> note-taking as one part of student life here.
>>>
>>> If you know a more focused group/forum/list talking about OneNote and
>>> notetaking softwares, please let me know...
>>>
>>> My question is:
>>>
>>> Is there a notetaking software that supports the following feature?
>>>
>>> When I read e-books (in pdf) on computer, I use markers/highlighters to
>>> mark important portions.
>>>
>>> And then once I finish reading the book, by clicking a button I will be
>>> able to have all the marked portions (including text and graphs) all
>>> extracted out from the pdf file and put into a seperate pdf(or other
>>> format) file, and then the newly extracted book becomes a condensed
>>> version of the old book and a review-sheet with all the important points
>>> outlined.
>>>
>>> Can OneNote do this? Or any other software?
>>>
>>> I found it's increasing needed to create a marked-outline of those
>>> important portions of the books that I've read.
>>>
>>> Currently I am doing this by hand. It is extremely tedious.
>>>
>>> I have to copy the screen, and extract a portion as a bitmap, and then
>>> paste into a WORD file.
>>>
>>> But placing bitmaps into WORD file in a nice way isn't easy - it's very
>>> tricky to layout bitmaps after bitmaps.
>>>
>>> If there is no software/automatic solutions, any easier /more convinient
>>> solutions for the manual side?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Mike

Yes they can annotate, but none of them can extract the annotated parts into
a condensed version...

"Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One that really stands out is "PDF annotator" -
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...or&btnG=Search
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
> Associate Expert

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What are the search key words you used?
>> I searched a lot but couldn't find any software with the feature of not
>> only annotating the PDF, but also extract out them to be a condensed
>> version.
>>
>> "Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The microsoft.public.onenote, where the program is supported by the
>>> OneNote MVPs, is a good place for your questions. As for your
>>> annotating PDF file, you really need to bug Adobe because they're the
>>> ones dragging their feet with Ink support in their programs. If you do
>>> a quick search on the Internet you'll find quite a few programs which
>>> claim to have these functions, so the choice would be up to you.
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>
>>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Chris H

8-) That's something you need to speak with Adobe support about. The PDF
program is their proprietary format, and they're not budging on Ink support
functionality. They haven't, and probably never will.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
Associate Expert

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes they can annotate, but none of them can extract the annotated parts
> into a condensed version...
>

> "Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> One that really stands out is "PDF annotator" -
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...or&btnG=Search
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What are the search key words you used?
>>> I searched a lot but couldn't find any software with the feature of not
>>> only annotating the PDF, but also extract out them to be a condensed
>>> version.
>>>
>>> "Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

vts

I've been very happy with PDFAnnotator for the past several years. The
program is continually improving.

A program that I am trying out right now is Bluebeam Revu
(http://www.bluebeam.com/web07/us/?src=99). This is a kind of mash up of
Acrobat and Annotator. For my uses, it seems to function as well as Acrobat
in terms of creating/handling PDF's (though perhaps Acrobat is a little
crisper in viewing??). It doesn't ink quite as well as Annotator, but does a
MUCH better job than Acrobat. My biggest grip with it is that it doesn't
allow full screen views which are nice for reading.

As for extracting the highlighed text... I don't think you will find any
program to do that. You are looking to both highlight and select text at
the same time, and from my rudimentary understandning, these are discrete
processes. Plus, I don't think you can keep multiple selections active for
the time it takes to read a paper.

I have been using OneNote 207 with Live Share between a tablet and a
desktop. I can easily cut out figures, tables or relevant text using the
clipping function in Acrobat/Revu and paste in OneNote and then use Ink on my
tablet to annotate as I see fit.

"Chris H" wrote:

> 8-) That's something you need to speak with Adobe support about. The PDF
> program is their proprietary format, and they're not budging on Ink support
> functionality. They haven't, and probably never will.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
> Associate Expert

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes they can annotate, but none of them can extract the annotated parts
> > into a condensed version...
> >

> > "Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> One that really stands out is "PDF annotator" -
> >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...or&btnG=Search
> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> http://forums.mobilepcworld.net
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>
> >> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Mike

Are you saying that you cut and paste all the "important portions" manually?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...