Faulty Wifi in HP tablet notebook

Roy

Hello group
One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
wireless internet connection ?

Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
regain wireless internet connectivity
I would like to ask if there is any remedy to her problem?
TIA

Roy

BillW50

On 5/28/2010 6:43 PM, Roy wrote:
> Hello group
> One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
> wireless internet connection ?
>
> Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
> unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
> it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
> Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
> regain wireless internet connectivity
> I would like to ask if there is any remedy to her problem?
> TIA
>
> Roy

Sounds like BS to me Roy. It is like less than a 5% chance it is the
motherboard (unless the WiFi is on the motherboard, then maybe). So what
kind of HP Tablet is this anyway? And what OS is running on it now?

--
Bill
Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)

Sjouke Burry

Roy wrote:
> Hello group
> One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
> wireless internet connection ?
>
> Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
> unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
> it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
> Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
> regain wireless internet connectivity
> I would like to ask if there is any remedy to her problem?
> TIA
>
> Roy

Convince her that wireless is unsafe, and slow.

BillW50

On 5/28/2010 6:58 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> Roy wrote:
>> Hello group
>> One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
>> wireless internet connection ?
>>
>> Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
>> unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
>> it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
>> Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
>> regain wireless internet connectivity
>> I would like to ask if there is any remedy to her problem?
>> TIA
>>
>> Roy

> Convince her that wireless is unsafe, and slow.

It depends! ;-)

--

On 29 Mayo, 07:54, BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/28/2010 6:43 PM, Roy wrote:

> Sounds like BS to me Roy. It is like less than a 5% chance it is the
> motherboard (unless the WiFi is on the motherboard, then maybe). So what
> kind of HP Tablet is this anyway? And what OS is running on it now?
>
> --
> Bill
> Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)

That
thanks bill!
That has also been mysuspicion, that the technician just want to get
some money from this lady....
She says the model is HPTX1200.

Sjourke...
Why would it unsafe and slow when its a home network?

Roy

On 29 Mayo, 07:54, BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/28/2010 6:43 PM, Roy wrote:

And what OS is running on it now?

> --

Ooops, she said the O/S is window vista home premium...

Roy

Pen

On 5/28/2010 9:02 PM, Roy wrote:
> On 29 Mayo, 07:54, BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 5/28/2010 6:43 PM, Roy wrote:

> And what OS is running on it now?
>>
>> --

> Ooops, she said the O/S is window vista home premium...
>

> Roy

HP says it has a plug in wireless card.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00853874.pdf

Roy

On 29 Mayo, 12:31, AJL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Roy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hello group
> >One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
> >wireless internet connection ?

> >Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
> >unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
> >it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
> >Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
> >regain wireless internet connectivity
> >I would like to ask if there is any *remedy to her problem?

> Assuming the hardware us really broken, a cheaper way to stay on the
> air might be to get one of those little USB plug in WiFi modules. My
> local Walmart sells them for US$35. Plug one in, run the software, and
> you're on the air...

Does that USB plug in wifi work with any kind of wifi connections?
I mean some provide USB 3G type wirless internet connection but that
lady is not into that at the moment.
He just want to connect to his home network wirelessly.
I was thinking of getting also PCI wireless card but not sure if its
as good as the internal in built wireless device in the notebook.

Roy

Bob Villa

On May 28, 6:43*pm, Roy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello group
> One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
> wireless internet connection ?
>
> Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
> unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
> it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
> Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
> regain wireless internet connectivity
> I would like to ask if there is any *remedy to her problem?
> TIA
>
> Roy

Nearly the same set of circumstances here Roy. A lady friend took her
2 yr old HP dv6000 with no WiFi and a guy said the same.
I replaced the BroadCom PCIe card and it still will not work. Put a
USB WiFi dongle on it (re-cert LinkSys $10)
Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

Roy

On 29 Mayo, 14:53, Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 28, 6:43*pm, Roy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hello group
> > One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
> > wireless internet connection ?

> > Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
> > unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
> > it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
> > Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
> > regain wireless internet connectivity
> > I would like to ask if there is any *remedy to her problem?
> > TIA

> > Roy

> Nearly the same set of circumstances here Roy. *A lady friend took her
> 2 yr old HP dv6000 with no WiFi and a guy said the same.
> I replaced the BroadCom PCIe card and it still will not work. *Put a
> USB WiFi dongle on it (re-cert LinkSys $10)
> Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

That is a surprising coincidence Bob... This implies that HP had
really lousy wifi that it will not last long compared to other
manufacturers...
I had an HP compact model 9040 that had the same problem some years
back ( wifi problem) and never bought another HP unit again...
But anyway I will relay that PCIe information to this lady...
Thanks for that!
Roy