Feature Request: Ability to change language AFTER writing!

Michael Moser

I am regularly writing in two different languages (English and German).
Again and again it happens be me, that I start writing and only when the
input panel recognizes complete garbage I realize that I again forgot to
select the proper language first.

Dear MS-developers, let me tell you: This is NOT how people think!

When I write something down I want to capture a thought. Thoughts are
precious (after all: that's why we want to capture them and what we are paid
for) but, alas, thoughts are also volatile and so I want to dump that
thought or that idea as long as I have it fresh in mind and I have to
concentrate on the content while doing so! I do NOT want to be interrupted
BEFORE I write something down! I am NOT a computer! I do NOT have the mental
capacity to push my ideas onto a "stack" and then first deal with something
else and later "pop" that idea from the stack again and continue from where
I left off. If I try that (or have to try that because my machine forces
me), then my ideas are very often gone by the time when I try to pop them
off that mental stack!

Only AFTER I wrote down my thought I accept to be bothered by questions re.
spelling and what language that last scribble was in. So, it should be
possible to change the input language AFTER the writing and have the SW
re-recognize my ink again under the new assumption, i.e. using a different
dictionary. That's how the input panel should work!

Regards,
Michael

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> Dear MS-developers <<

Unfortunately, ms personnel rarely visit the microsoft forums, so, know
that feedback posted here is unlikely to make it to anyone within their
walls.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Rainald Taesler

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] schrieb:

>>> Dear MS-developers <<

> Unfortunately, ms personnel rarely visit the microsoft forums, so,
> know that feedback posted here is unlikely to make it to anyone
> within their walls.

And what woild *You* suggest to get through and/or over the said walls?

Rainald

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> ...what woild *You* suggest to get through and/or over the said
walls? <<

I've been a microsoft mvp for another (windows mobile) arena for five
years, and, despite that connection, have found _no_ reliable way to get
feedback even acknowledged much less listened to. The idea of getting
something acted on is the stuff of fantasy.

I'm here because it's the users who often have solutions and alternative
workarounds to user issues which will never be addressed at the source.

imho, the main result from trying to get ms act on a user need will be
ulcers... and they are not worth it ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Rainald Taesler

Thanks for your kind reply, Beverly!

On re-read my posting seem rather rude to me and as it was not meant in
this way, I would have deleted it if this would be possible ...

"Beverly Howard wrote:
>>> I'm really wondering where all of the good old folks who used to

> frequent this forum may have gone ... <<
>
> Guess I ran them off... although I do qualify as "old" ;-)

LOL

> imho, it's pretty discouraging that several of the primary needs

posted
> here can't be addressed by users and ms remains unresponsive to user

needs.

Only too true and too sad ...

Rainald

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> my posting seem rather <<

Didn't take it that way... in fact had been thinking the same thing
before your post.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

S. Niemeyer

go and participate in MS Beta programs to directly influence upcoming
products.
Goto connect.microsoft.com and register. You'll read it in the news when a
new Windows beta will start and new beta testers will be welcomed.

Stefen

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> ...what woild *You* suggest to get through and/or over the said

> walls? <<
>
> I've been a microsoft mvp for another (windows mobile) arena for five
> years, and, despite that connection, have found _no_ reliable way to get
> feedback even acknowledged much less listened to. The idea of getting
> something acted on is the stuff of fantasy.
>
> I'm here because it's the users who often have solutions and alternative
> workarounds to user issues which will never be addressed at the source.
>
> imho, the main result from trying to get ms act on a user need will be
> ulcers... and they are not worth it ;-)

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> go and participate in MS Beta programs <<

unfortunately, my willingness to expect ms to respond positively to
current user input beyond lip service has been forged with ms experience
dating back to the introduction of msdos (things were better then) along
with advancing age and lowered expectations.

The bulk of my beta participation has been in windows mobile, and while
I can't comment on ms beta in general, it has been evident, where I have
participated, that the feature sets are already set in concrete long
before beta testing begins and all such requests from all participants
have essentially been "black holed" by the ms development teams.

ms is a 500 million ton gorilla which has pushed lead time units into
decades... the op's request represents such a tiny fraction of their
perceived market that (imho) the best hope of having his need addressed
is to look for a third party product which would facilitate the user in
knowing what the current language status is...

....for example, a language setting utility which would set different
desktop wallpapers when each language is selected.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

S. Niemeyer

Hi Beverly,
from my personal experience I can say yes, there is a chance to make their
minds change, even for design changes. Of course I did and do not expect all
my ideas to be realized. It depends on the idea itself, time, ressources,
budget, support from other testers etc. I can't speak for Windows Mobile
Betas, never heard of those, but I guess they are currently very open to
ideas regarding an improved touch interface

Stefen

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> go and participate in MS Beta programs <<

> unfortunately, my willingness to expect ms to respond positively to
> current user input beyond lip service has been forged with ms experience
> dating back to the introduction of msdos (things were better then) along
> with advancing age and lowered expectations.
>
> The bulk of my beta participation has been in windows mobile, and while I
> can't comment on ms beta in general, it has been evident, where I have
> participated, that the feature sets are already set in concrete long
> before beta testing begins and all such requests from all participants
> have essentially been "black holed" by the ms development teams.
>
> ms is a 500 million ton gorilla which has pushed lead time units into
> decades... the op's request represents such a tiny fraction of their
> perceived market that (imho) the best hope of having his need addressed is
> to look for a third party product which would facilitate the user in
> knowing what the current language status is...
>
> ...for example, a language setting utility which would set different
> desktop wallpapers when each language is selected.

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> but I guess they are currently very open to ideas regarding an
improved touch interface <<

<grin> ...wish that were so ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]