File transfer Windows to iMac

Peter James

I'm about to back up my important files prior to transfering them to a
Mac.
Can anyone just confirm the following points for me please.

1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.
2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.
3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
version of Diablo?
4. ditto for Unreal Tournament 2004
5. JPEG's and TIFF files
6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
will read these?
7. Bookmarks from Firefox.
8. Mail and address book from Thunderbird.
9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?
Many thanks.
-
Peter James
Remove AT to reply

Andy Hewitt

Peter James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm about to back up my important files prior to transfering them to a
> Mac.
> Can anyone just confirm the following points for me please.
>
> 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

Yes. You can open them in AppleWorks, or indeed obtain OpenOffice which
uses that format anyway.

> 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

Yes, most apps can handle RTF - even the basic test editor.

> 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
> version of Diablo?
> 4. ditto for Unreal Tournament 2004

Dunno.

> 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

Absolutely, both of those will even display thumbnails in Finder. Highly
recommended is Graphic Converter by LemkeSoft. It does more than it says
on the tin. You can also run GIMP as well.

> 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
> will read these?

No idea.

> 7. Bookmarks from Firefox.

Yup.

> 8. Mail and address book from Thunderbird.

Yup.

> 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

Er, yes. There is also a standalone version called NeoOfficeJ, which is
the same, except it doesn't need to install to Unix to run. Not bad for
free either, and it's recently been released in a full version too
(rather than a beta).

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

Tim Murray

A bit of research could have found this for you, but anyway...

> 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

Generally yes. Of course, matching fonts are an issue. Also, the line spacing
for any setting other than exact is a tiny bit different. The one area that
may break are objects imported using OLE. Sometimes they show up okay, some
times not.

> 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

Same as 1.

> 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
> version of Diablo?
> 4. ditto for Unreal Tournament 2004

I don't do games.

> 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

Fine

> 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
> will read these?

Don't know.

> 7. Bookmarks from Firefox.

Yes. See Firefox FAQ and Tipe & Tricks.

> 8. Mail and address book from Thunderbird.

don't know

> 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

Basically yes, but be aware that NeoOffice can't import EPS as a graphic.

D P Schreber

On 2005-08-14, Andy Hewitt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

> Er, yes. There is also a standalone version called NeoOfficeJ, which is
> the same, except it doesn't need to install to Unix to run.

To clarify: NeoOffice/J uses the native osx window system, whereas
OpenOffice uses X11. An X11 server is included with osx but isn't
installed by default ("unix" is of course not something one would
install in osx -- osx is itself a unix variant). So you can run either
NeoOffice or OpenOffice in osx, but NeoOffice is friendlier and better
integrated.

tommy

On 2005-08-14 07:52:29 -0700, Peter James <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I'm about to back up my important files prior to transfering them to a
> Mac.
> Can anyone just confirm the following points for me please.

> 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
> version of Diablo?

This is the only one I know. ..and yes, they do work. I played Diablo
II on my slow Mac, then when I built a gaming PC I transferred my saved
game info and it actually worked. I was surprised.

/tommy

Fred McKenzie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I'm about to back up my important files prior to transfering them to a
> Mac.
> Can anyone just confirm the following points for me please.

> 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

Word .DOC files may be readable by Text Edit or AppleWorks. There is a
version of Word for the Mac.

> 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

..RTF is a "standard" format that should be readable by most word
processors. It can be read by TextEdit or AppleWorks.

> 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

Can be read by Preview, AppleWorks or GraphicConverter.

> 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
> will read these?

Yes, Family Tree Maker for Mac may do it, although the OS 9 version I have
doesn't seem to work in Classic mode. An alternative is to save the data
in .GED format and import it into some other program. I use Reunion and
love it.

> 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

Check out http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/oo...downloads.html

Peter-

Most of my experience has been helping co-workers transfer their Macintosh
files when they were forced to use a Windows machine!

I suggest you go to the Adobe web site and download a copy of the latest
Adobe Acrobat Reader.

For the other programs such as Diablo and Firefox, you might check their
web sites to see if they have a Mac version. If not, look for alternate
file formats that you can save their data in, that can be read by programs
on the Mac.

The latest high-end Macs come with an OEM version of GraphicConverter,
which is an extremely handy program for manipulating and converting files
in different graphic formats. Yours probably doesn't have it, so look for
the Shareware version.

Most of the iMacs come with AppleWorks, which is a single program that has
some capabilities of Microsoft Word and Excel plus both bit-mapped and
vector graphics. If yours doesn't have it, it is cheaper than Microsoft
Office.

Fred

Andy Hewitt

D P Schreber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2005-08-14, Andy Hewitt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

> > Er, yes. There is also a standalone version called NeoOfficeJ, which is
> > the same, except it doesn't need to install to Unix to run.

> To clarify: NeoOffice/J uses the native osx window system, whereas
> OpenOffice uses X11. An X11 server is included with osx but isn't
> installed by default ("unix" is of course not something one would
> install in osx -- osx is itself a unix variant). So you can run either
> NeoOffice or OpenOffice in osx, but NeoOffice is friendlier and better
> integrated.

Yes indeed, I was keeping it as simplified as possible at this stage.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...tts2/index.htm
(updated Feb 21 2005)

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Fred McKenzie) wrote:

> > 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

> Word .DOC files may be readable by Text Edit or AppleWorks. There is a
> version of Word for the Mac.
>
> > 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

> .RTF is a "standard" format that should be readable by most word
> processors. It can be read by TextEdit or AppleWorks.

And Pages (for both formats).

> > 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

> Can be read by Preview, AppleWorks or GraphicConverter.

And by Safari or any other web browser. Also by Pages and Keynote.

Andre Matuch

On 2005-08-14 10:52:29 -0400, Peter James <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

No problem. Appleworks can read them but might have conversion troubles
on SOME documents. Pages will also open up .DOCs without any trouble.
If that isn't enough, go ahead and use Microsoft Word for perfect
translation.

> 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

This is true for not only the Mac but pretty much any OS that has a
word processor to my recollection.

> 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
> version of Diablo?

If I'm not mistaken, Diablo 2 is one of those games from Blizzard that
was made for both OS' at once. However, I think it requires Mac OS 9
(classic) so if you don't have that, you'll be in trouble.

> 4. ditto for Unreal Tournament 2004

I doubt it would be a problem. I believe the code for the two version
of the game is virtually identical saves different processor references.

> 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

No problem.

> 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
> will read these?

No idea, I feel bad for not knowing this one.

> 7. Bookmarks from Firefox.

No problem.

> 8. Mail and address book from Thunderbird.

No problem. In fact, when I migrated from Windows to Mac the first time
around, I brought over all of my contacts from Mozilla (windows) to
Mozilla (mac) without any trouble.

> 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

Both OpenOffice (through x11) and NeoOffice.

Gnarlodious

Entity Peter James spoke thus:

> I'm about to back up my important files prior to transfering them to a
> Mac.
> Can anyone just confirm the following points for me please.
>
> 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

Yes.

> 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

Yes

> 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
> version of Diablo?

Never heard of it.

> 4. ditto for Unreal Tournament 2004

Ditto, never heard of it.

> 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

Yes, iPhoto is included. A more robust solution is Graphic Converter:
http://lemkesoft.de/en/index.htm , cost about $30.

> 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
> will read these?

Plenty, I use SeeGedcomX:
http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~keithc/fa...ry/see-gedcom/
It's free and fast but limited.

> 7. Bookmarks from Firefox.

Yes, it's a plain HTML file, located at:
~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles/username/bookmarks.html

> 8. Mail and address book from Thunderbird.

Don't know. You can probably export it as a common database file.

> 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

Yes

> Many thanks.

Welcome to Mac