Where to find BIOS for Toshiba laptop

Salvador Freemanson

Hello,
I am trying to repair a Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q laptop that won't
boot ever since my nephew decided to flash the bios and then turned off
the power part-way through. So now, when I turn on the power, the LEDs
flash and the fan and DVD whirrs but that's about all. A sure sign that
the BIOS is not working.

Searching around on the web quite a bit, I found a procedure to reinstte
the BIOS. It burning the original bios file to a CD.
My problem is where to get hold of the original bios file.
The Toshiba website provides a download to upgrade the bios from inside
Windows. It's an executable windows programme, that upgrades the bios
while Windows is running. But the bios itself is no doubt burried inside
it somewhere deep.

Anyone know where to find the bios. Or maybe they could post it. Please.
Thanks

Pen

On 5/25/2010 4:01 PM, Salvador Freemanson wrote:
> Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q

have you tried here? Watch the wrap.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ily=1073768663

Salvador Freemanson

On 26/05/2010 22:29, Pen wrote:
> On 5/25/2010 4:01 PM, Salvador Freemanson wrote:
>> Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q

> have you tried here? Watch the wrap.
> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ily=1073768663

Thanks, that's just the kind of thing I needed - bootable from a CD.

Trouble is, it doesn't cover my model.
According to the readme file it inclues, it covers the models PSLC8U,
PSLC9U and PSLE8U. Mine is the PSLC0E. I've looked through the site and
can't find a similar file for my model.

I'm not sure about flashing the bios for a different model. Any idea how
similar they are?

Pen

On 5/26/2010 7:13 PM, Salvador Freemanson wrote:
> On 26/05/2010 22:29, Pen wrote:
>> On 5/25/2010 4:01 PM, Salvador Freemanson wrote:
>>> Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q

>> have you tried here? Watch the wrap.
>> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ily=1073768663
>>

> Thanks, that's just the kind of thing I needed - bootable from a CD.
>
> Trouble is, it doesn't cover my model.
> According to the readme file it inclues, it covers the models PSLC8U,
> PSLC9U and PSLE8U. Mine is the PSLC0E. I've looked through the site and
> can't find a similar file for my model.
>
> I'm not sure about flashing the bios for a different model. Any idea how
> similar they are?

Well this BIOS comes up in a search for your model, so I'd
try it. You don't have much to lose since the machine is
trashed now.

Salvador Freemanson

On 27/05/2010 02:48, Pen wrote:
> On 5/26/2010 7:13 PM, Salvador Freemanson wrote:
>>> have you tried here? Watch the wrap.
>>> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ily=1073768663
>>>

>> Thanks, that's just the kind of thing I needed - bootable from a CD.
>>
>> Trouble is, it doesn't cover my model.
>> According to the readme file it inclues, it covers the models PSLC8U,
>> PSLC9U and PSLE8U. Mine is the PSLC0E. I've looked through the site and
>> can't find a similar file for my model.
>>
>> I'm not sure about flashing the bios for a different model. Any idea how
>> similar they are?

> Well this BIOS comes up in a search for your model, so I'd
> try it. You don't have much to lose since the machine is
> trashed now.

Odd that Tosh put software for some models and not others on their web site.

Don Phillipson

"Salvador Freemanson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4bfc2c9a$0$28678$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am trying to repair a Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q laptop that won't
> boot ever since my nephew decided to flash the bios and then turned off
> the power part-way through.

It is not clear why SF does not require the damage be repaired
(or paid for) by the relative who caused it.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Lars

Previously, on Usenet "Don Phillipson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Salvador Freemanson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> I am trying to repair a Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q laptop that won't
>> boot ever since my nephew decided to flash the bios and then turned off
>> the power part-way through.

>It is not clear why SF does not require the damage be repaired
>(or paid for) by the relative who caused it.

Right, sue him! It is the American Way.
Nephew or not, twelve years old and your sisters kid. So what? You
can't let that come between you and a fresh laptop!

Lars
Stockholm

Salvador Freemanson

On 28/05/2010 00:33, Don Phillipson wrote:
> "Salvador Freemanson"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4bfc2c9a$0$28678$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I am trying to repair a Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q laptop that won't
>> boot ever since my nephew decided to flash the bios and then turned off
>> the power part-way through.

> It is not clear why SF does not require the damage be repaired
> (or paid for) by the relative who caused it.

Not really relevant, but since you ask.
The computer belongs to my sister, who lives in northern Brazil, but
bought the computer while visiting our mother, who lives in London. It
was my sister's son (i.e. my nephew) who did the said damage. He
promised to sort it out, but never did. My sister then gave it to her
daughter who was studying in England, to get it looked at while it was
still under guarantee (not sure that it would have been covered, you can
but try). She did nothing about it. When she went back to Brazil, she
left the computer with me. By now it is of course out of guarantee.
We will think about what to do with the computer if I ever manage to get
it sorted out.

As you see, not at all relevant.

BillW50

On 5/28/2010 4:34 AM, Salvador Freemanson wrote:
> On 28/05/2010 00:33, Don Phillipson wrote:
>> "Salvador Freemanson"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4bfc2c9a$0$28678$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I am trying to repair a Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q laptop that won't
>>> boot ever since my nephew decided to flash the bios and then turned off
>>> the power part-way through.

>> It is not clear why SF does not require the damage be repaired
>> (or paid for) by the relative who caused it.

> Not really relevant, but since you ask.
> The computer belongs to my sister, who lives in northern Brazil, but
> bought the computer while visiting our mother, who lives in London. It
> was my sister's son (i.e. my nephew) who did the said damage. He
> promised to sort it out, but never did. My sister then gave it to her
> daughter who was studying in England, to get it looked at while it was
> still under guarantee (not sure that it would have been covered, you can
> but try). She did nothing about it. When she went back to Brazil, she
> left the computer with me. By now it is of course out of guarantee.
> We will think about what to do with the computer if I ever manage to get
> it sorted out.
>
> As you see, not at all relevant.

Maybe this article may help.

Recovering Dead Motherboards Killed by the CIH Virus
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/39

The big problem I have with the article is all laptops I have seen, the
BIOS are soldered in. So you have some extra work to do.

--
Bill
Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)

Salvador Freemanson

On 28/05/2010 12:26, BillW50 wrote:
> On 5/28/2010 4:34 AM, Salvador Freemanson wrote:
>> On 28/05/2010 00:33, Don Phillipson wrote:
>>> "Salvador Freemanson"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4bfc2c9a$0$28678$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Maybe this article may help.
>
> Recovering Dead Motherboards Killed by the CIH Virus
> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/39
>
> The big problem I have with the article is all laptops I have seen, the
> BIOS are soldered in. So you have some extra work to do.

Very interesting method.
I've got a few old Toshs around. One of them may possibly be compatible.
But the prospect of all that unsoldering and re-soldering on multi-layer
PCBs is quite daunting. I could end up with two dead Toshs instead of one.

You'd think someone could come out with an in-situ programming tool.