where to find the exact specifications of an acer laptop?

sobriquet

Hi.
On an Acer Aspire 7720G, I try to get xp installed next to vista.
It's installed now and of course there are many yellow icons in the
hardware manager because of missing drivers. So I basically need to
figure out the exact hardware specifications of the laptop, so I can
go to all the websites from the hardware manufacturers to obtain all
the proper xp drivers.
As far as I can see, the acer website itself offers no xp drivers
whatsoever, but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong about that
assumption.
If anyone could point out where I can find the exact specifications
online, I'd really appreciate it.

Kind regards, thx in advance for any suggestions, Niek

Thomas Wendell

I guess you're out of luck, as there's no XP drivers for that model...
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads.html

I found XP drivers for my TravelMate7520 (which came pre-installed with
Vista) there
(Also a BIOS update was needed...)

--
Tumppi
=================================

"sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestissä:(E-Mail Removed)...

On 27 jan, 05:16, sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi.
> On an Acer Aspire 7720G, I try to get xp installed next to vista.
> It's installed now and of course there are many yellow icons in the
> hardware manager because of missing drivers. So I basically need to
> figure out the exact hardware specifications of the laptop, so I can
> go to all the websites from the hardware manufacturers to obtain all
> the proper xp drivers.
> As far as I can see, the acer website itself offers no xp drivers
> whatsoever, but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong about that
> assumption.
> If anyone could point out where I can find the exact specifications
> online, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Kind regards, thx in advance for any suggestions, Niek

From the lack of feedback I infer there are no such specifications.
Ok, so the only alternative I see is to simply look at the list of
vista drivers at the acer website and figure out from that what
hardware is in the laptop and where to obtain the xp drivers.

Wandering

Well, I couldn't answer your first question, but you are on the right track
now. Keep in mind, laptops often use drivers specific to that specific brand
and model, and the more generic manufacturers version may not be an equal
replacement. You can only try. But few new machines designed for Vista will
have XP drivers for key items. This can include the graphics chips, the bios
chips, and other internals sometimes overlooked. You can try the Vista
drivers that came with it, but they are not likely to work properly under
XP. In the end, it's not always possible to go backward. (Whatever others
may think of Vista) I wish you well.

--

Blessings & peace --- Ray
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On 29 jan, 23:26, "Wandering" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, I couldn't answer your first question, but you are on the right track
> now. Keep in mind, laptops often use drivers specific to that specific brand
> and model, and the more generic manufacturers version may not be an equal
> replacement. You can only try. But few new machines designed for Vista will
> have XP drivers for key items. This can include the graphics chips, the bios
> chips, and other internals sometimes overlooked. You can try the Vista
> drivers that came with it, but they are not likely to work properly under
> XP. In the end, it's not always possible to go backward. (Whatever others
> may think of Vista) I wish you well.
>
> --
>
> Blessings & peace *--- Ray

I don't understand though why Acer doesn't offer the same laptop with
XP. If they offer people
the choice between XP and vista they could sell more laptops I reckon.
I have a dell laptop (my dad has the acer laptop) and it runs vista
and xp side by side without problems (and the dell site offers xp as
well as vista drivers).

Thomas Wendell

"sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestissä:(E-Mail Removed)...
On 29 jan, 23:26, "Wandering" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, I couldn't answer your first question, but you are on the right
> track
> now. Keep in mind, laptops often use drivers specific to that specific
> brand
> and model, and the more generic manufacturers version may not be an equal
> replacement. You can only try. But few new machines designed for Vista
> will
> have XP drivers for key items. This can include the graphics chips, the
> bios
> chips, and other internals sometimes overlooked. You can try the Vista
> drivers that came with it, but they are not likely to work properly under
> XP. In the end, it's not always possible to go backward. (Whatever others
> may think of Vista) I wish you well.
>
> --
>
> Blessings & peace --- Ray

I don't understand though why Acer doesn't offer the same laptop with
XP. If they offer people
the choice between XP and vista they could sell more laptops I reckon.
I have a dell laptop (my dad has the acer laptop) and it runs vista
and xp side by side without problems (and the dell site offers xp as
well as vista drivers).

When I got my TravelMate7520 on nov-29, there were no XP drivers available
at the place I pointed at, but two weeks later there were...

--
Tumppi
=================================
A lot learned from these newsgroups
Helsinki, FINLAND
(translations from/to FI not always accurate
=================================

Wandering

Well, they don't check with me before making these decisions, so I can't
speak with authority, but my guess is that it simply comes to economics. It
costs a great deal of money to write new drivers for any operating system.
Since they probably (only my guess) sell about a thousand Vista machines for
each person who wants to buy with XP, there is really a very small market
and so, no way to recoup their investment.

Remember when you come to these forums, you are coming to a group that is
having a problems. For each one of them, there are many times more that are
not, and so do not come here. The last figures I saw were that in home
computer sales, Vista had 95% of the Windows market. It's only in business
machines that XP has a large enough share that the vendors can not only
charge higher prices, but have sufficient market to justify developing
multiple drivers on new designs.

Your Acer may well fall into that business class, or was designed a year or
more ago before Vista reached such a commanding lead. It may simply have
used more generic devices which might have had drivers that could be easily
tweaked into Vista. I don't know.

I might suggest that most of the grief I've experienced or observed on these
newsgroups with Vista preinstalled on a computer have been personal
resistance to learning the new way it works. It's not XP, and does quite a
number of things better, though I am sure no one will see all the
differences as improvements, many really are. I am well satisfied with my
Acer desktop with Vista. It ran out of the box, I took the time to learn
Vista, and it keeps running just dandy. I like Vista, but then I was
prepared to take the learning adventure. Do I think everything Vista does is
great? No! But there is really not much wrong with it.

BUT, If you have upgraded older hardware to Vista, you can easily have
multiple, and possibly unsolvable problems, again, because of the lack of
suitable Vista drivers for the older hardware. The bottom line is always the
same, never change operating systems without being certain you can obtain
the necessary drivers for your hardware.

By the way, I have tried running a few flavors of Linux on my box and they
seem to perform well. On the other hand, they, too were a significant
learning adventure, and I had important and expensive Windows software that
would have been highly problematic. Vista runs NEARLY everything I throw at
it. Not everything! And when it doesn't run, and comes crashing down, Vista
shuts it down, and keeps on performing well. I have never had Vista shut
down. So, in all it paid me to learn Vista. It may well pay you, in time and
satisfaction to make a similar journey.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best.

"Thomas Wendell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
> viestissä:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 29 jan, 23:26, "Wandering" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Well, I couldn't answer your first question, but you are on the right
>> track
>> now. Keep in mind, laptops often use drivers specific to that specific
>> brand
>> and model, and the more generic manufacturers version may not be an equal
>> replacement. You can only try. But few new machines designed for Vista
>> will
>> have XP drivers for key items. This can include the graphics chips, the
>> bios
>> chips, and other internals sometimes overlooked. You can try the Vista
>> drivers that came with it, but they are not likely to work properly under
>> XP. In the end, it's not always possible to go backward. (Whatever others
>> may think of Vista) I wish you well.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Blessings & peace --- Ray

> I don't understand though why Acer doesn't offer the same laptop with
> XP. If they offer people
> the choice between XP and vista they could sell more laptops I reckon.
> I have a dell laptop (my dad has the acer laptop) and it runs vista
> and xp side by side without problems (and the dell site offers xp as
> well as vista drivers).
>
> When I got my TravelMate7520 on nov-29, there were no XP drivers available
> at the place I pointed at, but two weeks later there were...
>
> --
> Tumppi
> =================================
> A lot learned from these newsgroups
> Helsinki, FINLAND
> (translations from/to FI not always accurate
> =================================

 Bluto

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:35:49 -0500, walterg74
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey there. don't know if you solved this or still interested, but I
>found ALL drivers for XP for the Aspire 7720...

Whats so spectacular about that? Everyone knows they're available at
their website.

>Sometimes you gotta not listen that hard to people who post comments
>like the ones above, most of them don't have a clue as to what they're
>talking about, and post just for the sake of posting.... anyway, let me
>know if you still care about this and I'll tell you how to get the
>drivers.

I don't think you'll be telling how to get them to many people because
anyone with a brain knows how to. Hard people who post comments are
those who have used acers and had many problems with them...then
getting them repaired turned into another nightmare. They have a good
reason to be hard. If you hold your acer long enough you'll become
one of them