Find install WIFI in IBM Thinkpad T30

dwn

I have a used IBM Thinkpad T30 2336 96U
How to find if a wifi installed? Checking the System Hardware;

Modem - Agere System AC'97 Modem
Network Adapter Name - [00000001] Infared Port
Product Name - [00000002] Network adaptor Intel(R) Pro/100
VE Network connection
PCMICA Texas Instruments PCI-520 cardbus controller

There are no wifi in System's Hardware. What's the Fast Infared Port for?
I have a USB Netgear wifi adaptor, should I use this to set up wifi? I am really
ignorance to wifi and IBM Thinkpad.

Thanks

Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:27:12 -0800, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a used IBM Thinkpad T30 2336 96U
> How to find if a wifi installed? Checking the System Hardware;
>
> Modem - Agere System AC'97 Modem
> Network Adapter Name - [00000001] Infared Port
> Product Name - [00000002] Network adaptor Intel(R) Pro/100
> VE Network connection
> PCMICA Texas Instruments PCI-520 cardbus controller
>
> There are no wifi in System's Hardware. What's the Fast Infared Port for?
> I have a USB Netgear wifi adaptor, should I use this to set up wifi? I am really
> ignorance to wifi and IBM Thinkpad.

I believe you have a 2366-96U, and from your tests you don't have one with
the built-in Cisco wireless card installed. The IR port is to connect to
close-by equipment such as another computer or a cell phone but I don't
believe it is useful for TCP/IP networking. Yes, you can use either a USB
wireless dongle or a PC Card adapter for WiFi. Maybe find a local buddy
with some knowledge of networking with whatever operating system you use.
The Thinkpad itself is just any other notebook when it comes to networking.

Tony

dwn

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:05:58 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Oops, made a mistake it is T30 2366 96U, thanks for your reply.

Were all Thinkpad came with installed/built-in WIFI, and if they don't can you
installed yourself or have anyone installed them? I have a Linksys G USB
adaptor, I plug it in Thinkpad and it work after messing around.

Know any good sites and Youtube where I can learn and understand ABC...How to
re/config wireless routers, USB/built-in wifi adaptors especially for Thinkpad?
(I google and found some, maybe you have better sites..)

Thank

>On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:27:12 -0800, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I have a used IBM Thinkpad T30 2336 96U
>> How to find if a wifi installed? Checking the System Hardware;
>>
>> Modem - Agere System AC'97 Modem
>> Network Adapter Name - [00000001] Infared Port
>> Product Name - [00000002] Network adaptor Intel(R) Pro/100
>> VE Network connection
>> PCMICA Texas Instruments PCI-520 cardbus controller
>>
>> There are no wifi in System's Hardware. What's the Fast Infared Port for?
>> I have a USB Netgear wifi adaptor, should I use this to set up wifi? I am really
>> ignorance to wifi and IBM Thinkpad.

>I believe you have a 2366-96U, and from your tests you don't have one with
>the built-in Cisco wireless card installed. The IR port is to connect to
>close-by equipment such as another computer or a cell phone but I don't
>believe it is useful for TCP/IP networking. Yes, you can use either a USB
>wireless dongle or a PC Card adapter for WiFi. Maybe find a local buddy
>with some knowledge of networking with whatever operating system you use.
>The Thinkpad itself is just any other notebook when it comes to networking.
>
>Tony

Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:14:37 -0800, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Were all Thinkpad came with installed/built-in WIFI, and if they don't can you
> installed yourself or have anyone installed them? I have a Linksys G USB
> adaptor, I plug it in Thinkpad and it work after messing around.

The "original description" of your system shows that it came without WLAN:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...hEntry=236696U

It's likely possible to install a inside WLAN card inside, but I would
think - even if you could find all the parts for the antenna and cabling
etc. - it would be far more work than worthwhile in that 2003 era system.
The antennas are mounted inside the screen part of the hinged case, so
there's quite a lot of disassembly needed in order to thread those cables
in order to perform such an installation.

> Know any good sites and Youtube where I can learn and understand ABC...How to
> re/config wireless routers, USB/built-in wifi adaptors especially for Thinkpad?
> (I google and found some, maybe you have better sites..)

Before I look around - what operating system are you using? And do you
already have a wireless Access Point to which you wish to connect?

Tony

dwn

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:37:25 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:14:37 -0800, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Were all Thinkpad came with installed/built-in WIFI, and if they don't can you
>> installed yourself or have anyone installed them? I have a Linksys G USB
>> adaptor, I plug it in Thinkpad and it work after messing around.

>The "original description" of your system shows that it came without WLAN:
>http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...hEntry=236696U

"Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
Operating system: Windows XP
Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD, 14.1
SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM),
Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro"

The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System Device manger,
found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast infrared port. I have infrared
port and what can I use it for? Also in the taskbar lower right side, there is
an Bluetooth device icon, is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's
not in the System Device manager?

>It's likely possible to install a inside WLAN card inside, but I would
>think - even if you could find all the parts for the antenna and cabling
>etc. - it would be far more work than worthwhile in that 2003 era system.
>The antennas are mounted inside the screen part of the hinged case, so
>there's quite a lot of disassembly needed in order to thread those cables
>in order to perform such an installation.

Yea, no point installing one, I will use the Linksys USB G Adaptor. This work
flawlessly when I blindly messing around with it. I need to understand what do I
have in this T30 and how to config the wifi, to avoid being hack and etc. BTW I
am posting, online using a Dell's Latitude D600 with a Linksys wireless router.
O/S Win XP PRO.

>> Know any good sites and Youtube where I can learn and understand ABC...How to
>> re/config wireless routers, USB/built-in wifi adaptors especially for Thinkpad?
>> (I google and found some, maybe you have better sites..)

>Before I look around - what operating system are you using? And do you
>already have a wireless Access Point to which you wish to connect?
>
>Tony

Thanks Tony, really appreciate it.

Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:34:28 -0800, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:37:25 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:14:37 -0800, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Were all Thinkpad came with installed/built-in WIFI, and if they don't can you
>>> installed yourself or have anyone installed them? I have a Linksys G USB
>>> adaptor, I plug it in Thinkpad and it work after messing around.

>> The "original description" of your system shows that it came without WLAN:
>> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...hEntry=236696U

> "Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
> Operating system: Windows XP
> Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD, 14.1
> SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM),
> Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro"
>
> The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System Device manger,
> found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast infrared port. I have infrared
> port and what can I use it for? Also in the taskbar lower right side, there is
> an Bluetooth device icon, is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's
> not in the System Device manager?
>
>> It's likely possible to install a inside WLAN card inside, but I would
>> think - even if you could find all the parts for the antenna and cabling
>> etc. - it would be far more work than worthwhile in that 2003 era system.
>> The antennas are mounted inside the screen part of the hinged case, so
>> there's quite a lot of disassembly needed in order to thread those cables
>> in order to perform such an installation.

> Yea, no point installing one, I will use the Linksys USB G Adaptor. This work
> flawlessly when I blindly messing around with it. I need to understand what do I
> have in this T30 and how to config the wifi, to avoid being hack and etc. BTW I
> am posting, online using a Dell's Latitude D600 with a Linksys wireless router.
> O/S Win XP PRO.
>>
>>> Know any good sites and Youtube where I can learn and understand ABC...How to
>>> re/config wireless routers, USB/built-in wifi adaptors especially for Thinkpad?
>>> (I google and found some, maybe you have better sites..)

>> Before I look around - what operating system are you using? And do you
>> already have a wireless Access Point to which you wish to connect?
>>
>> Tony

> Thanks Tony, really appreciate it.

Maybe slow down a bit - I already responded to your previous question about
IR and I asked you which OS you were using and whether you had a wireless
Access Point so I could perhaps find a relevant guide on WLAN installation.

Tony

Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:34:28 -0800, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
> Operating system: Windows XP
> Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD, 14.1
> SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM),
> Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro"
>
> The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System Device manger,
> found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast infrared port. I have infrared
> port and what can I use it for? Also in the taskbar lower right side, there is
> an Bluetooth device icon, is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's
> not in the System Device manager?

Okay on XP - sorry that I missed that before.

As to BlueTooth, both the spec and the icon suggest you do have it. In
device manager the BT device is not among Network adapters but higher,
between Batteries and Computer. Is nothing there?

Tony

dwn

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:06:21 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Maybe slow down a bit - I already responded to your previous question about
>IR and I asked you which OS you were using and whether you had a wireless
>Access Point so I could perhaps find a relevant guide on WLAN installation.
>
>Tony

My O/S Win XP PRO. I have a Linksys WRT54C Wireless-G on a Dell Latitude D600
laptop to post and access Internet. I can either use wired connection or wifi. I
use wired as it's faster and safer.

I like to know and understand as much as possible wifi, I use a spare laptop
Thinkpad t30 to mess around, should I make a mistake, I can format, recover and
start all over again. I will be moving shortly and need to go wireless. I must
be sure and able to setup later. Thanks again.

dwn

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:28:34 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:34:28 -0800, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
>> Operating system: Windows XP
>> Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD, 14.1
>> SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM),
>> Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro"
>>
>> The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System Device manger,
>> found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast infrared port. I have infrared
>> port and what can I use it for? Also in the taskbar lower right side, there is
>> an Bluetooth device icon, is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's
>> not in the System Device manager?

>Okay on XP - sorry that I missed that before.

XP Pro.

>As to BlueTooth, both the spec and the icon suggest you do have it. In
>device manager the BT device is not among Network adapters but higher,
>between Batteries and Computer. Is nothing there?

I can see the infrared icon, but none BT in the between Batteries and computer
or anywhere in the device manager. I may have ticked or loaded the driver it
somewhere when I messed around, without knowing it? I download PC Doctor and
could not determine if I have a BT. Tony thanks for being so patient.

>Tony

~misfit~

> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:28:34 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:34:28 -0800, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
>>> Operating system: Windows XP
>>> Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD,
>>> 14.1 SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM,
>>> Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM), Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion
>>> battery, WinXP Pro"
>>>
>>> The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System
>>> Device manger, found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast
>>> infrared port. I have infrared port and what can I use it for? Also
>>> in the taskbar lower right side, there is an Bluetooth device icon,
>>> is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's not in the
>>> System Device manager?

>> Okay on XP - sorry that I missed that before.

> XP Pro.
>>
>> As to BlueTooth, both the spec and the icon suggest you do have it.
>> In device manager the BT device is not among Network adapters but
>> higher, between Batteries and Computer. Is nothing there?

> I can see the infrared icon, but none BT in the between Batteries and
> computer or anywhere in the device manager. I may have ticked or
> loaded the driver it somewhere when I messed around, without knowing
> it? I download PC Doctor and could not determine if I have a BT.
> Tony thanks for being so patient.

A couple of things to add...

Most ThinkPads that had wireless as an option but didn't have a card fitted
when sold were "wireless ready" meaning that the antenna are already in
place. To confirm that (or otherwise) download the Hardware Maintenace
manual by clicking on the link on the following page, right below the specs:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T30
Find where the miniPCI card goes (I'm not familiar with the T30, it's likely
under a cover or under the keyboard or palm rest) and see if there are
antenna wires there. If so you can fit a wireless card quite easilly althoug
it would need to either be an IBM one or you'd have to modify your BIOS to
accept it. That's not too hard. BTW this is a great site for ThinkPad stuf"
http://forum.thinkpads.com/
You can search that site for "1802 hack" to find an ISO for a bootable CD
(or floppy I believe) that will allow you to use non-IBM wireless cards.

Also, that model can have either a modem or a bluetooth module, as the
did you get it second-hand with the current OS install? If so someone may
have used a USB bluetooth adapter and the icon persists. Or maybe someone
replaced the modem DC with a bluetooth one (although it would show in Device
Manager). Therefore I'm guessing the former.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

Partitioning Thinkpad T30 and Install Win XP Pro with BartPE dwn Laptops 9 04-30-2010 07:18 PM
IBM T30 Fresh Install wtfbrb IBM Thinkpad 0 03-18-2007 06:22 AM
ThinkPad T30 2366-41U ThinkPad T30 2366-41U ThinkPad T30 memory issue klouse Laptops 8 11-09-2006 12:39 AM
IBM T30, T30 or R50e BobH IBM Thinkpad 5 11-23-2005 12:49 AM
IBM Thinkpad T30 - using both Bluetooth and wireless lan together flahmeshess Laptops 8 05-23-2004 05:29 AM