How to find out the real, maximum possible CPU speed (WITHOUT overclocking) ?

Peter Meister

I was running an AMD Athlon CPU on an older Elitegroup motherboard.
Some diagnostic tools show me a modell 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+ for this CPU.

Then, a week ago, I changed the motherboard to another Elitegroup motherboard (K7S5A).
Note: I moved the old CPU to the new motherboard as well

Much to my surprise the same diagnostic tools show now a CPU modell: 1046MHz (10.5 x 100)

So the CPU modell changes when the underlying motherboard changes ?

It seems to me that the CPU diagnostic software tools show only the effective Mhz
But how do I get the real, maximum possible Mhz of the current CPU (WITHOUT Overclocking) ?

I assume that the new motherboard is setup with FSB of 100 in contrast to 133 on the old motherboard.

How can I change the FSB from 100 to 133: Is this possible by Software, BIOS or Jumper ?

How do I find out all possible combinations between CPU speed and FSB speed ?

Peter

Buffalo

"Peter Meister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4565d08b$0$27612$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> I was running an AMD Athlon CPU on an older Elitegroup motherboard.
> Some diagnostic tools show me a modell 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+ for this

CPU.

> Then, a week ago, I changed the motherboard to another Elitegroup motherboard

(K7S5A).
> Note: I moved the old CPU to the new motherboard as well
>
> Much to my surprise the same diagnostic tools show now a CPU modell: 1046MHz

(10.5 x 100)

> So the CPU modell changes when the underlying motherboard changes ?
>
> It seems to me that the CPU diagnostic software tools show only the effective

Mhz
> But how do I get the real, maximum possible Mhz of the current CPU (WITHOUT

Overclocking) ?

> I assume that the new motherboard is setup with FSB of 100 in contrast to 133

on the old motherboard.

> How can I change the FSB from 100 to 133: Is this possible by Software, BIOS

or Jumper ?

> How do I find out all possible combinations between CPU speed and FSB speed ?
>
> Peter

It's in the BIOS.
If you install another BIOS (there are some good ones listed in the Elitegroup
or HoneyX forums, you will have more speed options.
I use the HoneyX BIOS and it is excellent.
I find that the 138/138 speed works the best when dealing with a 133MHz core
cpu.
There is a free program called SpeedFan which will allow you to try different
FSB settings while in Windows with even the original BIOS.

Buffalo

Look at this link for good info on the K7S5a motherboard:
http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum