Finder: launch from terminal command line?

Robert A Moeser

hi!

Something I did made the Finder crash. I don't remember clearly - I may,
at some point, have decided it had become unresponsive and "relaunched" it.

Only it didn't. Relaunch, that is.

I was able to log in as another user and there was the Finder.

I finally restarted the machine (which actually took two restarts) and I
have the Finder again, just fine or so it seems. This is the first time
I have ever had to restart besides Apple software updates.

Can the Finder be launched from the Terminal? I did happen to have a
terminal window open but couldn't find out how.

What else might I have tried less drastic than shutting down? Is there
anything I should check now?

It all seemed to start when I plugged in a USB flash memory keychain
thing. Now I have to regain confidence before I do that again.

--
rob

D P Schreber

On 2005-01-30, Robert A Moeser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can the Finder be launched from the Terminal?

Run 'open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app'.

Király

Robert A Moeser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What else might I have tried less drastic than shutting down? Is there
> anything I should check now?

How about clicking the Finder icon in the Dock?

Greg Shenaut

Robert A Moeser <(E-Mail Removed)> exponit:
> Can the Finder be launched from the Terminal?

I put the following trivial scripts in ~/bin (make sure that that ~/bin in your PATH
and that you make the script files executable):

in a file called "run":

exec osascript <<EOF
tell app "$*"
activate
end tell

in a file called "quit":

exec osascript <<EOF
tell app "$*"
quit
end tell

They are quite handy in spite of being incredibly simple. Type "run finder" to start
Finder, or "quit dvd player" to quit DVD Player, etc.

Greg Shenaut

jdak

has anyone tried running disk utilities lately??? or running a fcsk???

Morten Reippuert Knudsen

D P Schreber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2005-01-30, Robert A Moeser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Can the Finder be launched from the Terminal?

> Run 'open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app'.

$ open -a Finder

should be sufficient

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :-) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 300+80GB Disk, 8xDVD+/-RW, Bluetooth
mus+tastatur, R9600Pro, iSight, eyeTV200 & LaCie Photon18Vision TFT

news

Robert A Moeser said the following on 30/01/2005 04:46 pm:
> hi!
>
> Something I did made the Finder crash. I don't remember clearly - I may,
> at some point, have decided it had become unresponsive and "relaunched" it.

<...>

> What else might I have tried less drastic than shutting down? Is there
> anything I should check now?

Would cmd+alt esc work, then click finder then 'relaunch'?

Andy