Finding a reputable domain name provider

paris2venice

Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
paris2venice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a
> domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com
> domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a
> year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this
> company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

It would be nice if the company actually advertised their prices
upfront without having to negotiate and do painfully slow things on
their website (pretending to buy). That is a clue to be wary of them.

--
dorayme

Salvatore

On 2012-08-18, paris2venice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com domain.

I'd be surprised if they were offering a *.com* domain for $3.99 per
year. It's usually a .info that's offered at that price.

--
Blah blah bleh...

GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

Tim Lance

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:50:35 -0500, paris2venice wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a
> domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com
> domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a
> year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this
> company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

Sometimes the first year's price is nice. Then they get ya.

My $.02 goes to

https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net

--

Tim

Wes Groleau

On 08-18-2012 01:50, paris2venice wrote:
> Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

I'm so pleased with the technical competence of TigerTech.net
that I don't mind the _slightly_ higher price.

I fired GoDaddy--they used to be pretty good AND cheap.
Now they're just cheap.

--
Wes Groleau

¡Qué quiero realmente hacer es comer un perrito caliente!
私が実際にしたいと思う何をホット ッグを食べることである!
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=463

paris2venice

On Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:57:28 PM UTC-7, Tim Lance wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:50:35 -0500, paris2venice wrote
>
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>

> > Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a

> > domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com

> > domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a

> > year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this

> > company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

> Sometimes the first year's price is nice. Then they get ya.
>

> My $.02 goes to
>

> https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net
>

> --
>

> Tim

Thanks a bunch. I like what I see!

Wes Groleau

On 08-18-2012 20:57, Tim Lance wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:50:35 -0500, paris2venice wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a
>> domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com
>> domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a
>> year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this
>> company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

> Sometimes the first year's price is nice. Then they get ya.
>
> My $.02 goes to
>
> https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net

Two cents? More like two hundred dollars annually for my two very low
volume websites. These two are currently using about two percent of
their allowed volume at TigerTech, where they cost a bit over $150/year.

GoDaddy is cheaper, but I couldn't accept their screw-up rates any more.

--
Wes Groleau

You always have time for what you do first.

Tim Lance

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:57:28 -0500, Tim Lance wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:50:35 -0500, paris2venice wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a
>> domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com
>> domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a
>> year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this
>> company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

> Sometimes the first year's price is nice. Then they get ya.
>
> My $.02 goes to
>
> https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net

Volume is relative. It's easy to calculate relative costs. Mine is so low in
all the time I've been there (3 years approx) that I've spent less than I
would have in half a year with a more prominent host. And the registration
fee/renewal is nominal.

--

Tim

Wes Groleau

On 08-19-2012 01:52, Wes Groleau wrote:
> GoDaddy is cheaper, but I couldn't accept their screw-up rates any more.

Bu that I do not mean the rates the charge, but the frequency at which
they screw things up. Never had a complaint for years, but the last two
years it has been terrible.

--
Wes Groleau

Words of the Wild Wes
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > GoDaddy is cheaper, but I couldn't accept their screw-up rates any more.

> > Bu that I do not mean the rates the charge, but the frequency at which
> > they screw things up. Never had a complaint for years, but the last two
> > years it has been terrible.

> GoDaddy has been in the news several times for using questionable
> practices like purchasing domain names people search for to see if they
> are available and then turning around and offering to sell those domain
> names to those people to make a profit, and squatting on those names
> indefinitely if you don't purchase them from GoDaddy. They also have
> very shoddy support - you are just a number. I wouldn't trust them,
> personally.

they're not the only ones who do that. trapping searches is an old
trick that's been going on for *years*.