Finding Site/Source of Virus

Von Fourche

Is there any way to find out what website or program infected my PC with
a virus? The virus was quarantined and deleted by Trend Micro. I want to
know where I got the virus. Can it be easily done?

Thanks!

Tom Scales

"Von Fourche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SNuEg.6457$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> Is there any way to find out what website or program infected my PC
> with a virus? The virus was quarantined and deleted by Trend Micro. I
> want to know where I got the virus. Can it be easily done?
>
> Thanks!

No. They're very good at covering their tracks.

paulmd@efn.org

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Von Fourche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SNuEg.6457$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> >
> > Is there any way to find out what website or program infected my PC
> > with a virus? The virus was quarantined and deleted by Trend Micro. I
> > want to know where I got the virus. Can it be easily done?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> No. They're very good at covering their tracks.

There are hints, however. Look at the quarentine, does it have the
original location of the file contianing the virus? You can usually at
least tell if it came via email or via Internet. If by Internet, you
can go through your history, and eliminate known safe sites. What's
left will be your suspects. Any porn or gambling websites are automatic
suspects, especially if they required you to download a codec, even if
they have been safe in the past. Next are "cute/Cool" downloads,
cursors, screensavers, sometimes even games. And then there are the
Utlimate slime, fake antivirus and spyware programs.

Colin Wilson

> Is there any way to find out what website or program infected my PC with
> a virus? The virus was quarantined and deleted by Trend Micro. I want
> to know where I got the virus. Can it be easily done?

You might find that the site you visited that "initiated" the problem
had no knowledge of the activities of the advertiser they sold space to.

From there on in, most virii now take on a life of their own and
download newer versions of themselves to help avoid detection.