Firewire Question

Von Fourche

I have a Dell E510 Windows XP. It's about five years old. I may soon
buy a device (camcorder) that uses firewire to transfer to PC. My computer
does not have a firewire card. Can I simply buy one and install it? Will
my PC/motherboard support this technology? Do you simply install them in an
empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports? I don't know
anything about firewire .

Thanks

Bob Villa

On Jan 28, 9:47*pm, "Von Fourche" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> * * I have a Dell E510 Windows XP. *It's about five years old. *Imay soon
> buy a device (camcorder) that uses firewire to transfer to PC. *My computer
> does not have a firewire card. *Can I simply buy one and install it? *Will
> my PC/motherboard support this technology? Do you simply install them in an
> empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports? *I don't know
> anything about firewire .
>
> Thanks

You are correct, they install in a PCI slot and XP will install the
drivers. I think mine cost $10 at Newegg.

Von Fourche

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
wrote:
> I have a Dell E510 Windows XP. It's about five years old. I may soon
> buy a device (camcorder) that uses firewire to transfer to PC. My computer
> does not have a firewire card. Can I simply buy one and install it? Will
> my PC/motherboard support this technology? Do you simply install them in
> an
> empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports? I don't know
> anything about firewire .
>
> Thanks

>You are correct, they install in a PCI slot and XP will install the
>drivers. I think mine cost $10 at Newegg.

After I posted my question I remembered - I want to make my laptop my
editing machine. It does not have firewire. Can I install a firewire in
that? It's a Dell Inspiron 6400.

Von Fourche

"Von Fourche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

> "Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 28, 9:47 pm, "Von Fourche" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> I have a Dell E510 Windows XP. It's about five years old. I may soon
>> buy a device (camcorder) that uses firewire to transfer to PC. My
>> computer
>> does not have a firewire card. Can I simply buy one and install it? Will
>> my PC/motherboard support this technology? Do you simply install them in
>> an
>> empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports? I don't know
>> anything about firewire .
>>
>> Thanks

>>You are correct, they install in a PCI slot and XP will install the
>>drivers. I think mine cost $10 at Newegg.

> After I posted my question I remembered - I want to make my laptop my
> editing machine. It does not have firewire. Can I install a firewire in
> that? It's a Dell Inspiron 6400.

I just looked at the side of my 6400. I see a small port that says 1394.
So I'm assuming it already has a firewire card in it .

Bob Villa

On Jan 29, 12:30*am, "Von Fourche" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "Von Fourche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>

> > "Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> > On Jan 28, 9:47 pm, "Von Fourche" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> I have a Dell E510 Windows XP. It's about five years old. I may soon
> >> buy a device (camcorder) that uses firewire to transfer to PC. My
> >> computer
> >> does not have a firewire card. Can I simply buy one and install it? Will
> >> my PC/motherboard support this technology? Do you simply install them in
> >> an
> >> empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports? I don't know
> >> anything about firewire .

> >> Thanks

> >>You are correct, they install in a PCI slot and XP will install the
> >>drivers. I think mine cost $10 at Newegg.

> > *After I posted my question I remembered *- I want to make my laptop my
> > editing machine. *It does not have firewire. *Can I install a firewire in
> > that? It's a Dell Inspiron 6400.

> * I just looked at the side of my 6400. *I see a small port that says1394.
> So I'm assuming it already has a firewire card in it .

You're good to go then.

Video ouput to TV with Firewire or ExpressCard Firewire Host Adapter? bbmcgee@hotmail.com Laptops 1 06-10-2006 10:29 PM
FireWire/FireWire 800 PCMCIA Adapter for T42p onerossocorsa328@hotmail.com IBM Thinkpad 0 03-06-2005 06:56 AM
Need PCI FireWire Card to replace dead onboard firewire in quicksilver G4 - want deep sleep and no file corruption hupjack Apple 0 08-06-2004 10:00 AM
IC7-MAX3 FireWire question Sinn Abit 2 05-16-2004 02:34 PM
P4P800 Deluxe _ where to get firewire wire bracket so can use firewire Randyman Asus 6 11-28-2003 11:35 PM