Firmware update

Tom Simchak

I received a notification that there was an update to the firmware for
my DVD writer. I had previously tried to install it but got an error
message that the target drive could not be found.

I tried it again today, with a different file, but got the same error
message.

What's up with this? I have a Dimension 8400 with a CD/DVD burner. The
folder is named R107638, and the file is named GRA4120G114 . Running XP
MCE 2005. SP2.

Any help, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated.

TIA

Tom S.
Houston, TX

NoNoBadDog!

The installation instructions usually specify uninstalling any packet
writing software you have, and changing the IDE channel to PIO mode prior to
installation. You should read the installation instructions carefully and
then follow them exactly; if you do not follow them *exactly* you will get
the same error.

Bobby

"Tom Simchak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R6Q9f.11726$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>I received a notification that there was an update to the firmware for my
>DVD writer. I had previously tried to install it but got an error message
>that the target drive could not be found.
>
> I tried it again today, with a different file, but got the same error
> message.
>
> What's up with this? I have a Dimension 8400 with a CD/DVD burner. The
> folder is named R107638, and the file is named GRA4120G114 . Running XP
> MCE 2005. SP2.
>
> Any help, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated.
>

> TIA
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

Tom Simchak

There were ZERO instructions included with the download. Perhaps I
should have made that clear in my original post...the update was via an
FTP download. Files were successfully unzipped, and clicking on the
executable gives me the error message previously mentioned.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> The installation instructions usually specify uninstalling any packet
> writing software you have, and changing the IDE channel to PIO mode prior to
> installation. You should read the installation instructions carefully and
> then follow them exactly; if you do not follow them *exactly* you will get
> the same error.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Tom Simchak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:R6Q9f.11726$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>
>>I received a notification that there was an update to the firmware for my
>>DVD writer. I had previously tried to install it but got an error message
>>that the target drive could not be found.
>>
>>I tried it again today, with a different file, but got the same error
>>message.
>>
>>What's up with this? I have a Dimension 8400 with a CD/DVD burner. The
>>folder is named R107638, and the file is named GRA4120G114 . Running XP
>>MCE 2005. SP2.
>>
>>Any help, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated.
>>

>>TIA
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX

HillBillyBuddhist

"Tom Simchak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R6Q9f.11726$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>I received a notification that there was an update to the firmware for my
>DVD writer. I had previously tried to install it but got an error message
>that the target drive could not be found.
>
> I tried it again today, with a different file, but got the same error
> message.
>
> What's up with this? I have a Dimension 8400 with a CD/DVD burner. The
> folder is named R107638, and the file is named GRA4120G114 . Running XP
> MCE 2005. SP2.
>
> Any help, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated.
>

> TIA
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

Looking at the downloads section for an 8400 the "R107638.EXE" file appears
to be the flash update for an "HLDS GRA-4120B HH 12X DVD+RW" drive.

Is that the drive in your computer? Is the drive currently functioning? The
instructions for that flash upgrade are;

Custom Instructions for R107638.EXE:

1) Down load flash utility onto system hard disk drive.

2) Double click on flash utility.

3) Read information on screen.

4) Click on Update.

5) Wait until flash is completed.

6) Click on Reboot.

It appears that's what you have done.

If this is the correct update for your drive and the drive is *not*
currently functioning it may be that whatever problem you're having with the
drive is preventing it from being seen by the flash routine.

If you have a different DVD R/RW in your computer I suggest logging into
Dell Support Drivers & Downloads (
http://support.dell.com/support/down...dhs&l=en&cs=19 )
with your service tag and finding the correct flash for your drive.

If it is the correct update for your drive and the drive is currently
functioning I'm afraid I don't have any suggestion.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Tom Simchak

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> "Tom Simchak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:R6Q9f.11726$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>
>>I received a notification that there was an update to the firmware for my
>>DVD writer. I had previously tried to install it but got an error message
>>that the target drive could not be found.
>>
>>I tried it again today, with a different file, but got the same error
>>message.
>>
>>What's up with this? I have a Dimension 8400 with a CD/DVD burner. The
>>folder is named R107638, and the file is named GRA4120G114 . Running XP
>>MCE 2005. SP2.
>>
>>Any help, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated.
>>

>>TIA
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX

> Looking at the downloads section for an 8400 the "R107638.EXE" file appears
> to be the flash update for an "HLDS GRA-4120B HH 12X DVD+RW" drive.
>
> Is that the drive in your computer? Is the drive currently functioning? The
> instructions for that flash upgrade are;
>
> Custom Instructions for R107638.EXE:
>
> 1) Down load flash utility onto system hard disk drive.
>
> 2) Double click on flash utility.
>
> 3) Read information on screen.
>
> 4) Click on Update.
>
> 5) Wait until flash is completed.
>
> 6) Click on Reboot.
>

> It appears that's what you have done.
>
> If this is the correct update for your drive and the drive is *not*
> currently functioning it may be that whatever problem you're having with the
> drive is preventing it from being seen by the flash routine.
>
> If you have a different DVD R/RW in your computer I suggest logging into
> Dell Support Drivers & Downloads (
> http://support.dell.com/support/down...dhs&l=en&cs=19 )
> with your service tag and finding the correct flash for your drive.
>
> If it is the correct update for your drive and the drive is currently
> functioning I'm afraid I don't have any suggestion.

I don't think my drive is a 12X, so apparently the Dell update "wizard"
misread my drive. To be honest, I'm not sure what the speed is, all I
do know is that it's dual layer capable.

The drive does work, as I burn CD's, albeit not on a regular basis.

Thanks.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Tom Simchak

The drive is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8631, if that helps anyone analyze
this problem.

Tom Simchak wrote:
> HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
>
>> "Tom Simchak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:R6Q9f.11726$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>
>>> I received a notification that there was an update to the firmware
>>> for my DVD writer. I had previously tried to install it but got an
>>> error message that the target drive could not be found.
>>>
>>> I tried it again today, with a different file, but got the same error
>>> message.
>>>
>>> What's up with this? I have a Dimension 8400 with a CD/DVD burner.
>>> The folder is named R107638, and the file is named GRA4120G114 .
>>> Running XP MCE 2005. SP2.
>>>
>>> Any help, suggestions, etc. will be appreciated.
>>>

>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Tom S.
>>> Houston, TX

>> Looking at the downloads section for an 8400 the "R107638.EXE" file
>> appears to be the flash update for an "HLDS GRA-4120B HH 12X DVD+RW"
>> drive.
>>
>> Is that the drive in your computer? Is the drive currently
>> functioning? The instructions for that flash upgrade are;
>>
>> Custom Instructions for R107638.EXE:
>>
>> 1) Down load flash utility onto system hard disk drive.
>>
>> 2) Double click on flash utility.
>>
>> 3) Read information on screen.
>>
>> 4) Click on Update.
>>
>> 5) Wait until flash is completed.
>>
>> 6) Click on Reboot.
>>

>> It appears that's what you have done.
>>
>> If this is the correct update for your drive and the drive is *not*
>> currently functioning it may be that whatever problem you're having
>> with the drive is preventing it from being seen by the flash routine.
>>
>> If you have a different DVD R/RW in your computer I suggest logging
>> into Dell Support Drivers & Downloads (
>> http://support.dell.com/support/down...dhs&l=en&cs=19
>> ) with your service tag and finding the correct flash for your drive.
>>
>> If it is the correct update for your drive and the drive is currently
>> functioning I'm afraid I don't have any suggestion.
>>

> I don't think my drive is a 12X, so apparently the Dell update "wizard"
> misread my drive. To be honest, I'm not sure what the speed is, all I
> do know is that it's dual layer capable.
>
> The drive does work, as I burn CD's, albeit not on a regular basis.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

HillBillyBuddhist

"Tom Simchak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ktbaf.12706$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> The drive is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8631, if that helps anyone analyze this
> problem.

Yup they sent you to the wrong download which of course explains why it
couldn't find the drive.

Log into Support, Downloads and Drivers with your Service Tag as I indicated
if you still want to see if there is a firmware update for your drive.

http://support.dell.com/support/down...dhs&l=en&cs=19

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Sparky Spartacus

Tom Simchak wrote:

> The drive is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8631, if that helps anyone analyze
> this problem.

I have the same DVD burner (but without the problem <g>). I don't
recognize the Dell driver no., IIRC I downloaded the newest firmware
update from the Philips site back in 08/2005 (F/W level GD30). Installed
without a peep. I can send you an email with the F/W ZIP file if you
like (926KB).

Sparky Spartacus

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

> "Tom Simchak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ktbaf.12706$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>
>>The drive is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8631, if that helps anyone analyze this
>>problem.

> Yup they sent you to the wrong download which of course explains why it
> couldn't find the drive.
>
> Log into Support, Downloads and Drivers with your Service Tag as I indicated
> if you still want to see if there is a firmware update for your drive.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/down...dhs&l=en&cs=19

Here's the skinny from Dell:

Drivers & Downloads
You Are Searching For Change Devices

Philips DVD8631 HH 16X DVD+/-RW
Firmware
Release Title: Removable Storage: Philips DVD8631 HH 16X DVD+/-RW,
Firmware, Multi OS, Multi Language, Multi System, v.GD30, A04
Release Date: 06/10/2005

By downloading, you accept the terms of the Dell Software License Agreement.

File Name File Size Download Time (56K) File Format
Gd30.zip 925 KB 2.2 min Hard-Drive
Download Now

Add to My Downloads

FTP Download

Other Versions

Criticality
Recommended Dell recommends applying this update during your next
scheduled update cycle. The update contains feature enhancements or
changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible
with other system modules (firmware, BIOS, drivers and software).

Additional Information
No information available.

Important Information
No information available.

Fixes and Enhancements
Fixed issue with DLA support on DVD-R media; Added support for
additional DVD+R Double Layer media manufacturers

Installation Instructions
Custom Instructions for Gd30.zip:

Download file to desktop

Unzip file Gd30.zip

Window appears with GD30.exe file

Run the GD30 executable to reflash drive

Compatibility
View compatible systems and operating systems

The Home & Home Office site and offers contained herein valid only for
end users and not for resellers and/or online auctions. Pricing,
specifications, availability and terms of offers may change without
notice. Taxes, fees, shipping and handling and any applicable restocking
charges are extra, and vary. U.S. Dell Home Systems Co. new purchases
only. Limit of 5 systems per customer please. Dell cannot be responsible
for pricing or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders
arising from such errors.

Copyright 1999-2005 Dell Inc. For customers of the 50 United States and
the District of Columbia only.
Site Terms | Terms and Conditions of Sale | Technical Support Policy |
Privacy Policy | About Dell | Sweepstakes Terms and Conditions | Contact Us

That's the one you want.