How to format this hard drive

PcGAmeR22

Hello everybody
I have a 640 gb hard drive that has windows 7 pro 64 bit , It has a lo
of viruses on it plus files i dont really need , The thing is i sold th
pieces of the original computer it was in and i have only the hard driv
left and i would like to erase everything on it and install windows
again
however at the mean time i dont have a desktop pc , I sent it to m
friend in the computer store for upgrades and im not going there soo
either
I have a lenovo g550 laptop , Can i connect the hard drive to the lapto
and format it from there ?
if possible then how do i do it
Cheers
Mike :

Enrie Membership

On 08/05/2012 20:17, rb wrote:
> Yep can connect it via the USB port using a powered adapter such as this
> one-->

That's OK for the data side, what about power to the drive?

He would be better off using an external USB type enclosure which could
be used in the future as an external backup drive.

Enrie Membership

On 09/05/2012 08:12, Enrie Membership wrote:
> On 08/05/2012 20:17, rb wrote:
>> Yep can connect it via the USB port using a powered adapter such as this
>> one-->
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200171
>>

> That's OK for the data side, what about power to the drive?
>
> He would be better off using an external USB type enclosure which could
> be used in the future as an external backup drive.

Sorry the above link shows an enclosure for laptop hard drives but you
get my drift, just choose one for your desktop hard disk with the
appropriate interface i.e. SATA/IDE

My bad

PcGAmeR22

Thank you fellows , Im going to micro center on saturday to buy a wate
cooling system for my pc, figured i might as well buy the externa
backup driv

rb

Enrie Membership;1339775 Wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 08:12, Enrie Membership wrote:
> > On 08/05/2012 20:17, rb wrote:
> >> Yep can connect it via the USB port using a powered adapter such a

> this
> >> one-->
> >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200171
> >>

> > That's OK for the data side, what about power to the drive?
> >
> > He would be better off using an external USB type enclosure whic

> could
> > be used in the future as an external backup drive.
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817366037

> Sorry the above link shows an enclosure for laptop hard drives but you
> get my drift, just choose one for your desktop hard disk with the
> appropriate interface i.e. SATA/IDE
>
> My bad

I posted wrong link too ....'powered' adapter here--->
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...N82E1681219645

Charlie Hoffpauir

On Wed, 09 May 2012 08:17:09 +0100, Enrie Membership <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 09/05/2012 08:12, Enrie Membership wrote:
>> On 08/05/2012 20:17, rb wrote:
>>> Yep can connect it via the USB port using a powered adapter such as this
>>> one-->
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200171
>>>

>> That's OK for the data side, what about power to the drive?
>>
>> He would be better off using an external USB type enclosure which could
>> be used in the future as an external backup drive.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817366037

>Sorry the above link shows an enclosure for laptop hard drives but you
>get my drift, just choose one for your desktop hard disk with the
>appropriate interface i.e. SATA/IDE
>
>My bad

actually, many places sell adapters that include power supplies
sufficient to power one drive. Here's one...... I've seen several
more, probably one available near the OP.

http://www.frys.com/product/5466019?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

rb

PcGAmeR22;1339783 Wrote:
> Thank you fellows , Im going to micro center on saturday to buy a wate
> cooling system for my pc, figured i might as well buy the externa
> backup drive

Vantec USB to SATA/IDE powered Adapter--
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...duct_id=024996