Foxfire for OS 10.2.8

Twittering One

Since Safari, for my OS level, does not work
on important sites, I checked out the Foxfire
browwer download site.

(Safari will not work on Google Groups or
AOL mail web page.)

I am unclear about how to find the appropriate
browser version for OS 10.2.8.

I see a lot of information, but no OS - specific
guidance.

Per usual, I am sure I am missing something
clearly provided.

Any tips appreciated.

Everyone's help in the past few weeks has
been very effective, and I thank you!

Twittering One

I suppose this is my answer.
It says:

Mac
Operating Systems

* Mac OS X 10.2.x and later

Minimum Hardware

* Macintosh computer with an Intel x86 or PowerPC G3, G4, or G5
processor
* 128 MB RAM (Recommended: 256 MB RAM or greater)
* 200 MB hard drive space

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/system-requirements.html

Twittering One

I successfully downloaded Foxfire.

A question:

You know that white icon that looks like
a disc-reader that always appears after you
do a download?

Once I put the Foxfire alias icon on my Mac
dock, what do I do with the icon that continues
to sit on my desktop?

Is it of use, or can I discard it?

I always pops back to my desktop if I try
to move it to a folder.

Many thanks.

Twittering One

Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2006-10-21 11:29:15 -0500, "Twittering One" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > I successfully downloaded Foxfire.
> >
> > A question:
> >
> > You know that white icon that looks like
> > a disc-reader that always appears after you
> > do a download?
> >
> > Once I put the Foxfire alias icon on my Mac
> > dock, what do I do with the icon that continues
> > to sit on my desktop?
> >
> > Is it of use, or can I discard it?
> >
> > I always pops back to my desktop if I try
> > to move it to a folder.
> >
> > Many thanks.

> It's "Firefox".
>
> It sounds like you created an alias to the application in the disk
> image. So every time you open that alias, the disk image will mount.
> This is obviously not what you wanted - you need to, instead, copy the
> application to the Applications folder first, and then create an alias
> from the app in the Applications folder.
>
> The typical installation procedure you should follow for drag and drop
> applications is:
>
> 1. Drag the application from the disk image to your Applications folder.
> 2. Make an alias from the Applications folder to wherever you want.
> 3. Unmount the disk image.
>
> --
> JR

Thanks.

I am still doing something wrong.

I tried doing that, and got the icon on the dock,
and the desktop icon into the Applications Folder.

But sitll, when I click the dock icon, I get a window
from Foxfire showing a drag-procedure, or something
as though it is telling me to redrag the icon
to teh Ap folder,

and still, I end up with tghe desktop icon that looks
like a disc-reader.

The browser works great, but I cannot seem to fix
this problem.

Jon

Twittering One <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I suppose this is my answer.

Indeed. Firefox 1.5.x works on all systems above 10.2. Go a head.
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:

Ted Landry

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Twittering One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I am still doing something wrong.
>
> I tried doing that, and got the icon on the dock,
> and the desktop icon into the Applications Folder.
>
> But sitll, when I click the dock icon, I get a window
> from Foxfire showing a drag-procedure, or something
> as though it is telling me to redrag the icon
> to teh Ap folder,
>
> and still, I end up with tghe desktop icon that looks
> like a disc-reader.
>
> The browser works great, but I cannot seem to fix
> this problem.

i think what you have done is made an alias from inside the .dmg file of
FireFox, so even if you restart and the temp disk image disappears, it
will mount and show you that window every time you click on the dock
icon. so drag over the REAL application out of the disk image, put it in
your applications folder, then you are done. (throw away the FireFox.dmg
file just to be sure.

lastly, you DON'T want to be using FireFox on a Mac. It's a PC browser,
not a Mac one. The Mac version is called Camino.

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Jon

Ted Landry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> lastly, you DON'T want to be using FireFox on a Mac. It's a PC browser,
> not a Mac one. The Mac version is called Camino.

What utter nonsense. Firefox not only works on a Mac, but is a very good
Mac browser. OTOH, Camino is quite a marginal product these days, IMHO.
--

Ted Landry wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "Twittering One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I am still doing something wrong.
> >
> > I tried doing that, and got the icon on the dock,
> > and the desktop icon into the Applications Folder.
> >
> > But sitll, when I click the dock icon, I get a window
> > from Foxfire showing a drag-procedure, or something
> > as though it is telling me to redrag the icon
> > to teh Ap folder,
> >
> > and still, I end up with tghe desktop icon that looks
> > like a disc-reader.
> >
> > The browser works great, but I cannot seem to fix
> > this problem.

> i think what you have done is made an alias from inside the .dmg file of
> FireFox, so even if you restart and the temp disk image disappears, it
> will mount and show you that window every time you click on the dock
> icon. so drag over the REAL application out of the disk image, put it in
> your applications folder, then you are done. (throw away the FireFox.dmg
> file just to be sure.
>
> lastly, you DON'T want to be using FireFox on a Mac. It's a PC browser,
> not a Mac one. The Mac version is called Camino.
>
> http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Thanks, I will try that, but the Foxfire
actually works quite well so far, I like it.

Twittering One

Twittering One wrote:
> Ted Landry wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> > "Twittering One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > I am still doing something wrong.
> > >
> > > I tried doing that, and got the icon on the dock,
> > > and the desktop icon into the Applications Folder.
> > >
> > > But sitll, when I click the dock icon, I get a window
> > > from Foxfire showing a drag-procedure, or something
> > > as though it is telling me to redrag the icon
> > > to teh Ap folder,
> > >
> > > and still, I end up with tghe desktop icon that looks
> > > like a disc-reader.
> > >
> > > The browser works great, but I cannot seem to fix
> > > this problem.

> > i think what you have done is made an alias from inside the .dmg file of
> > FireFox, so even if you restart and the temp disk image disappears, it
> > will mount and show you that window every time you click on the dock
> > icon. so drag over the REAL application out of the disk image, put it in
> > your applications folder, then you are done. (throw away the FireFox.dmg
> > file just to be sure.
> >
> > lastly, you DON'T want to be using FireFox on a Mac. It's a PC browser,
> > not a Mac one. The Mac version is called Camino.
> >
> > http://www.caminobrowser.org/

> Thanks, I will try that, but the Foxfire
> actually works quite well so far, I like it.

I did that, but stil, the disc image appears
on my desktop.

After I close Foxfire, I delete the image,
but it remounts each time.

I can live with that, although clearly, I am
likely doing something wrong.

Michelle Steiner

In article <1hnmfzn.1d5c1v31ao6oakN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsul t.com>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> 3. Drag the Firefox icon from the disk image window to your
> Applications folder.

3a. The disk image window is the one you get when you double-click on
the disk image icon.

> 4. Drag the disk image icon to the trash.

4a. Then drag the .dmg file into the trash and empty the trash.