Front Case USB 2.0 Connectors... a story or fiction...?

ZR

Shopping for a decent (not fancy Neon lites etc...) ATX case for my
next machine, I was shown a case with front USB 2.0 connectors.

Since these are only connectors with a little wire in their back ready
to be plugged to the MB, what is the difference between them and
connectors for USB 1 ??? - Why is he trying to chartge me more ?

Is the salesman trying to sell me a "story..." ? (Raising the price
to $89.00 + tax (including a 350 W PS)

I do need front USB 2.0 connectors though.

ZR

Rick

"ZR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shopping for a decent (not fancy Neon lites etc...) ATX case for my
> next machine, I was shown a case with front USB 2.0 connectors.
>
> Since these are only connectors with a little wire in their back ready
> to be plugged to the MB, what is the difference between them and
> connectors for USB 1 ??? - Why is he trying to chartge me more ?
>
> Is the salesman trying to sell me a "story..." ? (Raising the price
> to $89.00 + tax (including a 350 W PS)
>
> I do need front USB 2.0 connectors though.
>
> ZR

There are two kinds of USB connections, simple pass-throughs
and those that act as a hub. The first kind will either be USB1 or
USB2 depending on the type of controller they're connected to,
the second kind are either one or the other regardless of the type
of controller they're connected to (although the effective speed is
still determined by the USB controller).

Rick

ZR

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:22:49 -0700, "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"ZR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Shopping for a decent (not fancy Neon lites etc...) ATX case for my
>> next machine, I was shown a case with front USB 2.0 connectors.
>>
>> Since these are only connectors with a little wire in their back ready
>> to be plugged to the MB, what is the difference between them and
>> connectors for USB 1 ??? - Why is he trying to chartge me more ?
>>
>> Is the salesman trying to sell me a "story..." ? (Raising the price
>> to $89.00 + tax (including a 350 W PS)
>>
>> I do need front USB 2.0 connectors though.
>>
>> ZR

>There are two kinds of USB connections, simple pass-throughs
>and those that act as a hub. The first kind will either be USB1 or
>USB2 depending on the type of controller they're connected to,
>the second kind are either one or the other regardless of the type
>of controller they're connected to (although the effective speed is
>still determined by the USB controller).
>
>Rick

The connector I saw were just USB connectors with short harness in
their back.

My question is - what is the difference between these simple
connectors for USB1 vs. same for USB 2......???

LeeBos

>The connector I saw were just USB connectors with short harness in
>their back.
>
>My question is - what is the difference between these simple
>connectors for USB1 vs. same for USB 2......???

Usually none, except for shielding. USB 2.0 may not work without proper
shielding.

Colon Terminus

Price sounds too high by about 40 bucks. Check out the Raidmax line from
newegg.com. Sweet case, 10 internal bays, quite nice 350 watt power supply
(do a google on Raidmax power supplies, pretty nice units), front USB ports
(USB 1.1 or 2.0, depending on your choice of motherboards), all for $30.00
plus $15.00 shipping - $45.00 total delivered price.