FTP Questions

LuvMacs

I'm attempting to set up user accounts so I can share files with certain
individuals via FTP.

I want each person to have their own private area so if I want to share
something with them exclusively I can do so.

I've got their user accounts set up and dropped test file into each of
their "Sites" folder to see if they could access via FTP and if they
would only see files I've specified.

I signed in as one of them using FTP from browser and on side of window
it showed all my mounted volumes (external drives, etc)

Most of the people accessing will be PC users.

I accessed FTP using browser and Safari popped up window ... will view
of the other mounted volumes not be visible to other people? Or to just
other Mac users using Safari?

Also tried FTP using "Transmit" and logging into their accounts and I
could see my home directory folders on the side of window ... which of
course I don't want others accessing or even viewing certain areas of
computer.

Am I seeing this because I'm testing from the host computer?

Also ... I have some folders on external drives that I would like to put
into some of their directories.

I created symbolic links but when I try to put them into their sites
folder it returns an error. Also tried alias but that didn't work,
either.

Is there any way I can provide an alias/symbolic link to external volume
in their sites directory so they can access?

Or is there some other way of accomplishing this?

Hans Aberg

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, LuvMacs
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm attempting to set up user accounts so I can share files with certain
> individuals via FTP.

You might consider using sftp - safer than ftp - check out Fugu
<http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/> for a Mac OS X interface.

> I want each person to have their own private area so if I want to share
> something with them exclusively I can do so.

UNIX permissions should sort this out.

> I've got their user accounts set up and dropped test file into each of
> their "Sites" folder to see if they could access via FTP and if they
> would only see files I've specified.
>
> I signed in as one of them using FTP from browser and on side of window
> it showed all my mounted volumes (external drives, etc)
>
> Most of the people accessing will be PC users.
>
> I accessed FTP using browser and Safari popped up window ... will view
> of the other mounted volumes not be visible to other people? Or to just
> other Mac users using Safari?

> Am I seeing this because I'm testing from the host computer?

It does not matter which computer you are testing from, as you will hook
up to via the Internet protocol anyway.

--
Hans Aberg

LuvMacs

In article <290420061622362514%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca>,
Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, LuvMacs
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Am I seeing this because I'm testing from the host computer?

> Have you even *tried* from a different computer? Until you do, why are
> you asking for help?
>
> Do your homework, then ask for assistance.

The answer is very easy ... I don't have another computer to try from.

I have several people who I'm going to allow access to and want them to
test but they haven't yet gotten back to me.

Excuse me for asking for assistance ... I thought that was the point of
the groups.

Thank you for your unhelpful, rude response.

Michael Vilain

In article <300420061504389173%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone. ca>,
Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, LuvMacs
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your unhelpful, rude response.

> You're welcome. Hope it helped.

"It's like I've always said. I get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than
with kind word alone"--Marcus

Active FTP vs. passive FTP Paw Apple 2 12-30-2010 10:56 PM
NAT: Ftp fails, wget ftp is fine? Evan Platt Apple 7 12-20-2006 01:26 PM
OS X FTP questions Peer K Apple 2 04-05-2006 07:37 PM
FTP Questions Suicide Jack Apple 4 03-07-2004 10:27 PM
FTP Questions Suicide Jack Apple 0 03-06-2004 06:44 AM