What is a function driver?

Martin Magnusson

I'm having some USB problems. I can't use my USB memory/MP3 player
because Windows says that the USB device drivers aren't correctly
installed, and when I try to reinstall them (from C:\Win\inf\usb.inf) I
get an error message saying that "The installation failed because a
function driver was not specified for this device instance".

What does that mean?

I'm running Windows 2000 SP4.

I read the a discussion about this at
http://www.computing.net/drivers/www...orum/4123.html, and tried the
fix posted at
http://www.isp.net.au/~merrick/Funct...ion_Driver.htm, but
I still get the same error message about the function driver.

The MP3 player works fine on other computers. Gah...

Semi Head

I believe you'll find your answers here.

http://www.usbman.com/Drivers%20and%20Patches.htm

http://www.usbman.com/Win2000.htm

http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm

S_H

What is a function driver?

Group: comp.hardware
Date: Tue, Apr 26, 2005, 4:06pm (CDT+7) From: (E-Mail Removed)
(Martin*Magnusson)

I'm having some USB problems. I can't use my USB memory/MP3 player
because Windows says that the USB device drivers aren't correctly
installed, and when I try to reinstall them (from C:\Win\inf\usb.inf) I
get an error message saying that "The installation failed because a
function driver was not specified for this device instance".
What does that mean?
I'm running Windows 2000 SP4.

Re: Make laptop function keys behave like desktop function keys BillW50 Laptops 2 06-29-2010 10:58 AM
Re: Make laptop function keys behave like desktop function keys Aaron Laptops 0 06-28-2010 06:37 PM
CPU disconnect function Alen Abit 1 04-06-2004 08:34 AM
Keyboard Power On Function ? dion ECS 4 09-09-2003 11:40 AM
Does PAT function with asynchronous RAM? Metaphoid Abit 9 07-14-2003 02:34 AM