Funny smell coming from laptop

Mitch

Hi,

I have a Compaq Armada 1540DM laptop. I purchased an Ethernet PC card
for it about a month ago. I used it that day and it worked fine. A
week later, I noticed a strong smell coming from the laptop, and when
the screen comes on, in the right hand corner, the display area is
brighter than the rest of the area. Also if you touch the back of the
top right hand corner, it is very hot. Is the LCD burning up, or is it
something else????????

~~~Mitch

- Bobb -

"Mitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Compaq Armada 1540DM laptop. I purchased an Ethernet PC card
> for it about a month ago. I used it that day and it worked fine. A
> week later, I noticed a strong smell coming from the laptop, and when
> the screen comes on, in the right hand corner, the display area is
> brighter than the rest of the area. Also if you touch the back of the
> top right hand corner, it is very hot. Is the LCD burning up, or is
> it
> something else????????
>
> ~~~Mitch

Do you think the pcmcia card and the display have anything in common ?
( sinced you mentioned it together). If so, have you unplugged the
pcmcia card to then check the display/smell ?

Mitch

Yeah, I have checked without the PCMCIA card. Still smells. Have to
plug my nose because of the odor.

Davy

Two thing's can 'pong' these are leaking electrolytic capacitors, when
warm the stuff smell's even worse and undiscribable. The stuff is
corrosive and will eat away the lacquer on the PCB prior to eating the
copper tracks in quick time.

The copper windings on say the inverter transformer can smell this is
kinda acrid type smell, like burning varnish.

I've had same thing where a cat has sat on top of a video.... and
folks wonder why thing's go 'bang' nuff said on this one.. !

Davy

Ben Myers

Cats are the sworn emenies of computers. This may be a politicalluy incorrect
statement for some, but it's the truth... Ben Myers

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 02:51:28 -0000, (E-Mail Removed)lid (Davy) wrote:

>Two thing's can 'pong' these are leaking electrolytic capacitors, when
>warm the stuff smell's even worse and undiscribable. The stuff is
>corrosive and will eat away the lacquer on the PCB prior to eating the
>copper tracks in quick time.
>
>The copper windings on say the inverter transformer can smell this is
>kinda acrid type smell, like burning varnish.
>
>I've had same thing where a cat has sat on top of a video.... and
>folks wonder why thing's go 'bang' nuff said on this one.. !
>
>Davy

Davy

> [quote:dbed1137f8]Cats are the sworn emenies of computers. Cats are
the sworn emenies of computers. [/quote:dbed1137f8] Well er...
anything that feels warm to their bum

> This may be a politicalluy incorrect No no.... it's

loptical innit , because it could be
right n' it could be wrong ???

Davy

Funny, my new laptop has funny sound issues... any feedback..? vandergriffith@hotmail.com Laptops 2 06-13-2006 08:52 AM
Do I smell funny? Amanita AMD Thunderbird 7 11-19-2004 05:26 PM
Do I smell funny? Amanita Overclocking 9 11-19-2004 05:26 PM
Do I smell funny? Amanita AMD Overclocking 7 11-19-2004 05:26 PM
OT: Funny "India Support for Smell" link Frank Dell 4 09-27-2004 05:54 AM