Future of QNX?

Spehro Pefhany

Any thoughts?

Rob Gaddi

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:07:13 -0500
Spehro Pefhany <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any thoughts?

Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:57:26 -0800, Rob Gaddi
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:07:13 -0500
>Spehro Pefhany <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Any thoughts?
>>

>Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

Hi, Rob:-

Real embedded stuff, but obviously one might conceivably have an
effect on the other.

Walter Banks

Rob Gaddi wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:07:13 -0500
> Spehro Pefhany <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Any thoughts?

> Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

RIM is hardly dead, any company that made a $160M in a quarter
no debt, cash in the bank and a ton of paid for real-estate in Waterloo
area, a patent portfolio and area has a long way to spiral.

It is still essentially the only secure communications device out there.
Add to that a minimum use of bandwidth loved by the carriers.

Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:05:07 -0500, the renowned Walter Banks
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rob Gaddi wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:07:13 -0500
>> Spehro Pefhany <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> > Any thoughts?

>> Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

>RIM is hardly dead, any company that made a $160M in a quarter
>no debt, cash in the bank and a ton of paid for real-estate in Waterloo
>area, a patent portfolio and area has a long way to spiral.

Hi, Walter:-

True, but that may just slow the decline once the trajectory has been
established. I was struck by how many accessory makers overseas that
don't appear to be developing new products- it's all iPhone and
Android. From what I understand, app development is in a similar
state.

>It is still essentially the only secure communications device out there.

Useful, but a niche market.

>Add to that a minimum use of bandwidth loved by the carriers.

Streaming movies and FaceTime probably are the future.. but what do I
know- I still use an obsolete-for-generations GSM flip-phone.

Think the Q*X business could be spun off as a viable independent
business if RIM gets acquired?

--sp

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
(E-Mail Removed) Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Walter Banks

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:05:07 -0500, the renowned Walter Banks
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Rob Gaddi wrote:

> >> Is that being asked in the context of what sure looks like the death spiral of RIM, or for real embedded stuff?

> >RIM is hardly dead, any company that made a $160M in a quarter
> >no debt, cash in the bank and a ton of paid for real-estate in Waterloo
> >area, a patent portfolio and area has a long way to spiral.

> Hi, Walter:-
>
> True, but that may just slow the decline once the trajectory has been
> established. I was struck by how many accessory makers overseas that
> don't appear to be developing new products- it's all iPhone and
> Android. From what I understand, app development is in a similar
> state.
>
> >It is still essentially the only secure communications device out there.

> Useful, but a niche market.
>
> >Add to that a minimum use of bandwidth loved by the carriers.
> >

> Streaming movies and FaceTime probably are the future.. but what do I
> know- I still use an obsolete-for-generations GSM flip-phone.
>
> Think the Q*X business could be spun off as a viable independent
> business if RIM gets acquired?

Until very recently (last few years) RIM's only market was secure
communications, a market that it dominates. I agree that it is a niche
market but the market is huge and stable for business and government.

It was profits from the secure communications market that funded
the move to consumer products. My point is that the RIM position in
an ever more competitive consumer market may not be clear they have
a stable (but smaller) market that can depend on.

I have no idea what is going to happen with QNX. QNX is
a very nice multitasking OS that allows playbook to do many things that
don't happen on iPad, android and many tablet clones. RIM has not
been very good at explaining the difference in their advertising except
at a level that has left the public confused.

w..

John Speth

> Think the Q*X business could be spun off as a viable independent
> business if RIM gets acquired?

You mean like the way they were before the QNX->HK->RIM transfer? I hope so
because it would be a shame if RIM buries a good thing like QNX.

JJS

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spehro Pefhany View Post
Any thoughts?
I don't know the future of QNX.
But I know that QNX is the future of everything.