G series (network) Director sudden failure

David Efflandt

We have an OfficeJet G85xi on JetDirect 175x that has worked fine for
network printing and scanning from multiple PC's for quite some time using
A140609_ENU_XP_NW.exe g series network director downloaded from HP, and I
believe current version has same A140609 number. All of the XP Pro PC's
have had SP2 since August 2004.

Suddenly this morning the HP status icon in the taskbar of all the PC's
using this HP software started showing an error that that they are not
communicating with the printer. And if you open HP Director, it just
hangs indefinitely.

The JetDirect 175x can be accessed from a web browser (everything looks
fine there) and the printer works fine from our factory HP3000 via VPN or
locally if a PC is configured using a local TCP port and XP's native G85
driver. So the printer itself and JetDirect are working fine.

I cannot tell if the HP software is acting up due to a Windows update
problem or Java problem. Disabling Windows SP2 firewall or reinstalling
the HP software did not help.

The error from the status gizmo is "HP OfficeJet COM Device Objects has
encountered a problem and needs to close..."

Event viewer shows: "Faulting application hpooavn07.exe version 2.0.0.0
faulting module hpoidr07.dll version 4.5.0.617, fault address 0x000048e8"
and "Fault bucket 14574946".

Like I said, the JetDirect and printer work fine by other means, so I can
find a way to print. But the broken HP software makes network scanning
impossible. Any clue why the HP g series software suddenly started
throwing up on itself or how to fix that?