G400 Rainbow and Linux

Gorby

Hi Guys,
I have an older machine Pent 233, 800~ meg RAM (RAM seems more important
than CPU most of the time) with a G400 and a Rainbow runner card. I am
playing with SUSE Linux. I am trying to get TV reception going with
these cards using Linux.

Is this too hard?

Linux newbie
Gorby

Captain Dondo

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:54:18 +1030, Gorby wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I have an older machine Pent 233, 800~ meg RAM (RAM seems more important
> than CPU most of the time) with a G400 and a Rainbow runner card. I am
> playing with SUSE Linux. I am trying to get TV reception going with
> these cards using Linux.
>
> Is this too hard?
>
> Linux newbie
> Gorby

This is kind of late, but a P-233 might not have enough horsepower to do
any sort of real-time video. My Celeron-533 barely keeps up...

Other than that, you should do a google search on video4linux, and see if
the chipset in the matrox card is supported. Mostly likely it's a BT878,
in which case you need to have the bt878 module loaded, and then try xawtv....

J. Clarke

Captain Dondo wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:54:18 +1030, Gorby wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>> I have an older machine Pent 233, 800~ meg RAM (RAM seems more important
>> than CPU most of the time) with a G400 and a Rainbow runner card. I am
>> playing with SUSE Linux. I am trying to get TV reception going with
>> these cards using Linux.
>>
>> Is this too hard?
>>
>> Linux newbie
>> Gorby

> This is kind of late, but a P-233 might not have enough horsepower to do
> any sort of real-time video. My Celeron-533 barely keeps up...
>
> Other than that, you should do a google search on video4linux, and see if
> the chipset in the matrox card is supported. Mostly likely it's a BT878,
> in which case you need to have the bt878 module loaded, and then try
> xawtv....

I understand that the G200 Marvel is the best bet from Matrox for a
low-powered video machine--the G200 IIRC had hardware encoding. I could
never get the G400 Marvel to record and playback satisfactorily on a C1000.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Rainbow Six & 9800 Pro KerplunKuK ATI 2 05-30-2004 07:05 PM
CABLE for Matrox Mystique+Rainbow Runner Matrox 2 02-26-2004 10:17 AM
Rainbow Runner and XP Col Matrox 0 10-02-2003 04:59 PM
Drivers for Rainbow Runner Studio and XP Rock Matrox 1 08-31-2003 12:16 AM
Help with Mystique & Rainbow Runner Studio Harmonious Musician Matrox 0 07-10-2003 10:42 PM