G450 with Windows 2000 problem

Om_Audio

I installed a G450 on my BX chipset based Win2000 pro system- but it only
works in safe mode- or svga after I uninstall it in safe mode- once I reboot
the screen goes black after the os loads and the keyboard stops responding
as well (no caps or num lock lights)

I have the latest drivers but not sure what the problem is. Any tips
appreciated.

Matrox G450 32mb DH- G45+MDHA32DB
Asus P2BF BX board
Windows 2000 Pro latest updates

Thanks,

eugene.henderson@bigfoot.com

Om_Audio wrote:
> I installed a G450 on my BX chipset based Win2000 pro system- but it only
> works in safe mode- or svga after I uninstall it in safe mode- once I reboot
> the screen goes black after the os loads and the keyboard stops responding
> as well (no caps or num lock lights)
>
> I have the latest drivers but not sure what the problem is. Any tips
> appreciated.
>
> Matrox G450 32mb DH- G45+MDHA32DB
> Asus P2BF BX board
> Windows 2000 Pro latest updates

I have a couple of TUSL2-Cs with the Matrox G450 in them working w/o
any problems (knock on wood). What sort of peripherical do you have?
You may have to move them around presuming that interrupts are being
shared in such a way as to thwart your efforts. This includes NICs,
sound cards, etc.

Are you sure the G450 really works? There are some diagnostics to
exercise the adapter. Oh ... and ... I am speaking of the AGP version.
I think there is also a PCI version?

HTH.

Om_Audio

I have followed Matrox's instructions to remove and reinstall the drivers
etc- same issue. I removed the PCI card just below the AGP slot (G450 I have
is AGP)
Where are the diagnostics and will they run in Safe mode or VGA mode?

Thanks,

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Om_Audio wrote:
>> I installed a G450 on my BX chipset based Win2000 pro system- but it only
>> works in safe mode- or svga after I uninstall it in safe mode- once I
>> reboot
>> the screen goes black after the os loads and the keyboard stops
>> responding
>> as well (no caps or num lock lights)
>>
>> I have the latest drivers but not sure what the problem is. Any tips
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Matrox G450 32mb DH- G45+MDHA32DB
>> Asus P2BF BX board
>> Windows 2000 Pro latest updates

> I have a couple of TUSL2-Cs with the Matrox G450 in them working w/o
> any problems (knock on wood). What sort of peripherical do you have?
> You may have to move them around presuming that interrupts are being
> shared in such a way as to thwart your efforts. This includes NICs,
> sound cards, etc.
>
> Are you sure the G450 really works? There are some diagnostics to
> exercise the adapter. Oh ... and ... I am speaking of the AGP version.
> I think there is also a PCI version?
>
> HTH.

eugene.henderson@bigfoot.com

okay, let's figure your RAM is OK. do you have any exotic drivers in
your pc? in other words, is there anything that windows 2000 can
handle that has, instead, a newer or different driver, perhaps with
different or more features?

you can, i think, manually set interrupts. this should not be
necessary as you are not using PCI slot #1 (shared with your AGP). i'd
do it anyway.

do you have the latest bios installed on the mobo? i don't know what
that is at all.

for the g450, you can get this program to check it out. go to this ftp
site & folder for prog. and readme.

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/prog/

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/prog/md15200b.zip

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/prog/md15200.txt

bios here:
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/dr...bios/home2.cfm

the g450 comes up braindead, or rather like a simple vga (or-svga) card
when first installed. prior to installing matrox drivers, are you able
to see anything? 640x480 display?

perhaps there is a bios setting for the agp slot causing a problem. i
don't know.

check out the mobo bios, g450 bios, g450 h/w, maybe your pc ram,
manually assign interrupts, remove peripherals for now (sound card?),
and let us know what happens!

Om_Audio

Thanks for the help.

RAM is fine- this computer has been in current config for years actually-
only the GPU has changed- 4 sticks of pc-133 Crucial ram etc. MB has latest
BIOS etc.

Card works fine in Safe mode and in VGA mode- I also used the DOS based
utility you sent the link for and the card was identified properly and
passed all tests.

I'll try some other things I guess- frustrating- as I posted on Craigs list
for used monitors and I'll be able to get 2 monitors cheap so it will be
great to have the fanless dual head working.

Thanks again,

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> okay, let's figure your RAM is OK. do you have any exotic drivers in
> your pc? in other words, is there anything that windows 2000 can
> handle that has, instead, a newer or different driver, perhaps with
> different or more features?
>
> you can, i think, manually set interrupts. this should not be
> necessary as you are not using PCI slot #1 (shared with your AGP). i'd
> do it anyway.
>
> do you have the latest bios installed on the mobo? i don't know what
> that is at all.
>
> for the g450, you can get this program to check it out. go to this ftp
> site & folder for prog. and readme.
>
> ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/prog/
>
> ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/prog/md15200b.zip
>
> ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/prog/md15200.txt
>
> bios here:
> http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/dr...bios/home2.cfm
>
> the g450 comes up braindead, or rather like a simple vga (or-svga) card
> when first installed. prior to installing matrox drivers, are you able
> to see anything? 640x480 display?
>
> perhaps there is a bios setting for the agp slot causing a problem. i
> don't know.
>
> check out the mobo bios, g450 bios, g450 h/w, maybe your pc ram,
> manually assign interrupts, remove peripherals for now (sound card?),
> and let us know what happens!

eugene.henderson@bigfoot.com

short answer.

g450 manual has a short section on booting in safe mode, setting res.
to lowest, and then rebooting. usu. necessary when some h/w s/w change
has a problem.

else, make a barebones setup and try again. ghost to mirror boot
partition. start with reset BIOS and no adapters. if you cannot get
the board to start in this case, then perhaps there is a real h/w
problem.

a fresh OS install seems to be in order. for so much trouble, make
sure to reset the h/w too. and i forget how the intel drivers for the
chipset are to be installed?

good luck.

G450, Windows XP and 3D vbdasc@hotmail.com Matrox 0 11-20-2006 07:15 PM
G450 Hans Windows 98se exit John Dulak Matrox 8 08-10-2005 12:10 PM
G450 DVD playback problem MBR Matrox 1 09-16-2004 05:55 AM
G450 dual head problem Lucius Snow Matrox 0 04-24-2004 07:17 PM
Strange problem with Win 2000 after Athlon 2500+ upgrade from Athlon 2000+ Thomas Jansen Gigabyte 1 10-27-2003 07:29 AM