GA-7VRX 1.1 and 120Gb hd

devilo

Someone tell me if the motherboard in object is compatible with a samsung HD
120gb.
On bios and winXP the max capacity read is 33...Mb
i upgrade the bios with the last beta of 2003
thanx

Paul

devilo wrote:
> Someone tell me if the motherboard in object is compatible with a samsung HD
> 120gb.
> On bios and winXP the max capacity read is 33...Mb
> i upgrade the bios with the last beta of 2003
> thanx

This looks like a relatively modern motherboard.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/...px?pid=1308#sp

Verify the jumper plug settings on the back of the Samsung
hard drive. You may have inadvertently plugged a jumper
onto two pins that "clip" the drive geometry.

For example, I can find a picture on this web page.

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...D=0&AT_ID=8565

This is the picture I'm interested in. it shows jumper settings.

http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/c...er%20block.jpg

There is a 2x4 block of pins. Placing a jumper on pins 5-6,
would cause the geometry reported by the drive to indicate
the capacity was "33GB". I suspect you have that jumper
in place. Removing the jumper, should restore the capacity,
as viewed in the BIOS screen.

Paul

devilo

OK, i've attach only 120Gb hd and the bios recognize the correct capacity
but when i finished install winXP and relative driver after a restart obtain
an error message on file
nfts.sys corrupt or missing and the pc never start!!!
u have idea?
new thanx

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:hu5pu2$9jp$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> devilo wrote:
>> Someone tell me if the motherboard in object is compatible with a samsung
>> HD 120gb.
>> On bios and winXP the max capacity read is 33...Mb
>> i upgrade the bios with the last beta of 2003
>> thanx

> This looks like a relatively modern motherboard.
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/...px?pid=1308#sp
>
> Verify the jumper plug settings on the back of the Samsung
> hard drive. You may have inadvertently plugged a jumper
> onto two pins that "clip" the drive geometry.
>
> For example, I can find a picture on this web page.
>
> http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...D=0&AT_ID=8565
>
> This is the picture I'm interested in. it shows jumper settings.
>
> http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/c...er%20block.jpg
>
> There is a 2x4 block of pins. Placing a jumper on pins 5-6,
> would cause the geometry reported by the drive to indicate
> the capacity was "33GB". I suspect you have that jumper
> in place. Removing the jumper, should restore the capacity,
> as viewed in the BIOS screen.
>
> Paul

Paul

devilo wrote:
> OK, i've attach only 120Gb hd and the bios recognize the correct capacity
> but when i finished install winXP and relative driver after a restart obtain
> an error message on file
> nfts.sys corrupt or missing and the pc never start!!!
> u have idea?
> new thanx

Have you done basic testing on your computer, to verify the hardware
is working properly ?

Try memtest86+ from memtest.org . Prepare the boot media, then boot the
computer with the memtest86+ floppy (or other media type). Complete at least
2 passes of the entire test. No errors are acceptable. If you're seeing
memory errors reported, there could be a problem with the RAM.

If your memory is working, you can also test the hard drive with the manufacturer's
diagnostic.

This is a tool for testing the hard drive.

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ort_in_es.html

You might also consider doing a low level format (which isn't really a low
level format), and then install the WinXP OS again after it is finished.

If you don't want to use the Samsung tool to scrub the disk, you can use
something like the Secure Erase program, which should overwrite every
sector on the disk. You must read *all* the documentation before using
this, such as the password issue. If any passwords are involved, write
the password down on a sticky label and paste it on the drive for safe
keeping.

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

*******

I can find some references to that error, and the repair procedure seems to involve
copying a fresh file in place of the corrupted one. But since you just finished
installing your OS, I'm thinking that this is not the answer. Something must
be wrong with the computer itself, for it to be failing so soon. Which is
why I would test the computer parts first, to insure they are working correctly.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...in-windows-xp/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531

There is another kind of NTFS problem here, but this doesn't
match your current symptom description.

"ntfs.sys blue screen 0x00000024"
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5352-2.html

HTH,
Paul

KG-7 RAID and 120gb hd Sergio Trovarelli Abit 2 11-24-2003 07:39 AM
What's about SE6 and Maxtor plus 9 120GB? Apteryx Abit 1 07-16-2003 05:35 PM
KT7A-Raid and new Maxtor 120Gb ata133 8Mb Cache problem Claude Leclerc Abit 2 07-05-2003 03:20 AM
P2b-F and 120GB hard drive Flame Asus 0 06-27-2003 09:28 PM
Re: Opinions on 120GB HDD, DVD writer and dual p3 motherboard Dr Joolz Asus 0 06-23-2003 01:35 AM